Gaming Lapping a CPU voids the warrenty?

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I have a Q6600 G0 and the freaking surface is really uneven... I want to lap it with mirror fine sandpapers. However, that means the text on top of the CPU will be sanded off and obviously, you can see I have messed with it. I wonder if this voids the 1 year Intel warranty.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you even breath on a computer nowadays it will void the warranty...

But really how would taking a piece of sandpaper to a high dollar chip not void the warenty?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Newer processors I believe are covered for overclockability. Heck, the manufacturers usually provide the tools to overclock. A lot of the processors especially the higher-end ones are targeted directly at the overclocking crowd.

Lapping is physically modifying the processor, which I'm 100% sure will void the warranty. If the case is that the actual surface on the processor is messed up and not the heatsink then it could be possible to call the warranty on it and get a replacement, since incorrect contact could cause unusual or even hazardous problems.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I guess it'd be more advisable on a cheaper processor.

Quite a lot of people lap the heatsink since it's not too much of a waste if it goes bad and use thermal paste

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair, lapping it would only give you a 5°c different. Wouldn't seem worth it imo. What is your current temperature / heatsink?

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
slayerspud said:
To be fair, lapping it would only give you a 5°c different. Wouldn't seem worth it imo. What is your current temperature / heatsink?
I haven't installed the new heat sink yet. My current one gives me around 44 per averge core when I am in windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1