XP
Country
United States
KirbysEpicYarn_915Screens_05--article_image.jpg

Kirby's Epic Yarn
Nintendo Wii​
Release Date: October 17th, 2010​
Players: 1-2​

I didn't grow up to be a huge Kirby fan, but remember the classics well. Kirby, the adorable little pink vacuum was a hit among many gamers for it's unique rough-and-tumble suck-em-all-up platforming. Fast forward to 2010, when Kirby's next big thing is string.

Now, this is my first review on the site, but not my first ever. I hope you like, cause I will probably do more.

Now, as the picture above would suggest, on the surface, this looks like a kiddie game. And on many levels it is, but there's nothing stopping adults from liking it. The story isn't like past Kirby's, in that King Dedede isn't the main villain, although is a boss in the game. In fact, A sorcerer named Yin-Yarn is running amok in Dream Land, turning everything, citizens included, into yarn. Kind of a strange way to begin a game, but tagged along by Prince Fluff, the duo set off into a storybook world ranging from toys to candy to fire and even ice.

GAMEPLAY:

The gameplay is simplified enough that anyone can pick it up and go, even if you skip the delightful tutorial. By holding the Wiimote sideways to emulate the NES controller, Kirby can run, glide, and jump with ease. Each level brings new baddies, and new challenges, but the game tends to dumb down on difficulty, even preventing you from dying in order to save Patch Land from complete destruction. Lame to some, but it doesn't kill the game. Each world has a number of levels, each with it's own crystals, and hidden items. Unlock the badges at the end to unlock the next level and up to the boss level, rinse and repeat.

STORY:

Kirby games have never been very profound. It usually just follows the same tried and true Nintendo formula of "Happy Village + Bad Guy (ironically, Nintendo loves Sorcerers) + Hero + Epic quest = Game. Apparently, Yin-Yarn didn't like Kirby checking out his special tomato and sucked him into a magic sock around his waist. I know what you're thinking: someone was high as balls when they wrote this, and each world shows. I don't know what it is about Nintendo, they have these weird stories revolving around sorcery and food. Anyway, while not the masterpiece that only Hideo Kojima could've written, but it serves it's purpose.

GRAPHICS:

I was surprised, KEY was quite a beautiful game, even if everything was yarn and patchwork. The franchise, which had always been known for it's cuteness, retains it's signature art form, but this time, it's has some excellent character design, and some sweet backgrounds. For anyone that can remember Yoshi's Island, this is the same concept. Every world is a new treat for the eyes, and is really fun to take in. For those playing on an HDTV, even though the Wii doesn't output in 1080, it still looks great.

WHAT I HAD PROBLEMS WITH:

Some people might be turned off by how easy it is. For instance, if you get hit, you drop all your stars and crystals. But you don't die if you get hit after that. Normally in games, like Sonic for instance, if you get hit after losing all your rings, you die. But they really were quite benevolent in Epic Yarn. This isn't a bad thing though. The game can be breezed through in just about 3-4 hours, but there is plenty to go back through and unlock. Even the bosses weren't hard. Most are straightforward and need little explanation, so there won't be any frustration. Other than that, my only complaint was that it was too short. There were only 7 worlds to explore, and the majority of levels could be beaten in about 10 minutes. So, it's a great game, but wasn't a drive.

OVERALL:

Epic Yarn is a great game for children and adults alike. Easy, and a very addictive addition to the series, shadowed alongside slick and enjoyable gameplay, makes this a superb choice. A lot of times I find it hard to justify a short game like this a buy, since there's not a huge amount of replay value. I didn't get a chance to try out co-op, but the option is there to play with two players, one as Kirby and the other as Prince Fluff. It's certainly worth a rent, but for those hardcore Kirby fans, this might just be a warranted buy.

FINAL JUDGMENT: 8.5/10.

We've seen Kirby in a bunch of DS games lately, but it's nice to see him return to consoles, and in such a high fashion. Definitely a very hyped game, and it came through with shining colors. It genuinely made me want to boot up my Wii and never let go, and very few games have done that lately.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
arpeejajo said:
It looks like a lot of fun, but is it really that easy?
It's extremely easy, and this comes from a person who had trouble beating the original Super Mario Galaxy (though I did eventually beat the game). The graphics are absolutely insane, but the game itself is not challenging at all. It may be a bit harder if you attempt to collect all the beads and get all the gold medals and unlockables, but the gameplay itself is one of the easiest I've encountered in a while.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's a casual fun game, so it's meant to be EASY. Well for hardcore gamers I have this message "Well you lot have already shed alot of tears trying to kill a specific boss in a hardcore game or maybe trying to solve a mind bending puzzle, so grab a copy of Kirbys Epic Yarn since this is the perfect break for you all. Kirbys Epic Yarn is the best game ever when you just want to relax and kill some time, while enjoying cuteness at best"

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
MeritsAlone said:
Its a game for 3 year olds, that is all.

I think a lot of people associate kirby with, say, general all-audience ninty (especially since he hasn't had a console release in a while), while you're right. Its for young children.

I still find it more fun than those pooyoo games, though...

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really matter what age group it is for, Epic Yarn's kiddie persona doesn't tarnish the franchise. While it may be super-easy and impossible to fail, as SamAsh07 said, it's the perfect game to just sit back and take a break from harder games. Think of it as a scenic boat cruise.

Sure it may be boring for some, but for Kirby fans, this is a great addition to the series.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Kirby Fanboy, I would say it was a 10/10, but because of how easy it is, 9.5 xD Only because it's really fun to play with when there's someone over, or playing with the family.
(note: coming from a kirby fanboy)

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hikaru said:
As a Kirby Fanboy, I would say it was a 10/10, but because of how easy it is, 9.5 xD Only because it's really fun to play with when there's someone over, or playing with the family.

How's the co-op? That's one thing I wasn't able to try.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SubliminalSegue said:
Hikaru said:

How's the co-op? That's one thing I wasn't able to try.
It's very fun, mostly on the boss battles, i laugh when my friends die, I cry when we lose, we cheer when we win
smile.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
MeritsAlone said:

I think a lot of people associate kirby with, say, general all-audience ninty (especially since he hasn't had a console release in a while), while you're right. Its for young children.

Sure, getting through the game is easy, but collecting everything 100% is the real challenge of the game.

Edit: Awesome, 1500th post.
smile.gif

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The game is WAY too easy. The saccharine art style of the game will repel people (“This game looks like it was made for babies!”). And the Yarn Theme is just another "puzzle" orientated theme with collect-a-thons that don’t have any place in a proper 2d side scroller.

The original Kirby games were fun because you could get any power from any enemy. This made each playthrough different and surprising. But unfortunately, that would make Nintendo developers actually do some work. The Kirby-as-Yarn-Things transformations are more puzzle like in execution than arcade like.

Epic Yarn would be great if it was $10. But for $50, it is an insult. People at Nintendo do not buy their own games (the company buys it for them) so I wonder if they have completely lost the value of actually paying significant money for bad games.

How about Nintendo make a REAL Kirby game for once? Kirby has been doing so much strange and silly stuff that it would be a SURPRISE for a Kirby game to be normal.

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
monkat said:
MeritsAlone said:

Sure, getting through the game is easy, but collecting everything 100% is the real challenge of the game.

Edit: Awesome, 1500th post.
smile.gif
Which is one of my favorite parts about Kirby.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Juanmatron said:
The game is WAY too easy. The saccharine art style of the game will repel people (“This game looks like it was made for babies!”). And the Yarn Theme is just another "puzzle" oriented theme with collect-a-thons that don’t have any place in a proper 2d side scroller.

The original Kirby games were fun because you could get any power from any enemy. This made each playthrough different and surprising. But unfortunately, that would make Nintendo developers actually do some work. The Kirby-as-Yarn-Things transformations are more puzzle like in execution than arcade like.

Epic Yarn would be great if it was $10. But for $50, it is an insult. People at Nintendo do not buy their own games (the company buys it for them) so I wonder if they have completely lost the value of actually paying significant money for bad games.

How about Nintendo make a REAL Kirby game for once? Kirby has been doing so much strange and silly stuff that it would be a SURPRISE for a Kirby game to be normal.
So you think this took no work? Then you're really silly. This obviously took much more time, effort and resources than, say, Squeak Squad which reuses the same sprites they've been using since Nightmare in Dreamland.
The game doesn't have puzzles, the transformations are super easy to perform... Maybe you're just challenged when it comes to controls?
If you want "normal" Kirby games play Kirby SuperStar Ultra, or Squeak Squad.
And you can't really complain about the price tag because you didn't even buy it
rofl.gif
Oh and I fixed your typo
wink.gif

SubliminalSegue

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
The game is WAY too easy. The saccharine art style of the game will repel people (“This game looks like it was made for babies!”). And the Yarn Theme is just another "puzzle" orientated theme with collect-a-thons that don’t have any place in a proper 2d side scroller.

010haters.jpg

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MeritsAlone said:
For all those saying its waaaay to easy

Sorry but you do realise that ratings just mean that there is nothing unsuitable for that age range and not that that is who the game/video is aimed at? For example Uplink is rated E but I wouldn't say that is aimed at 3 year olds. And it's only since the mid 90s that aimed at kids == patronisingly easy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Crowbar?