Hacking Kirby dream collection reset issue

SyrusYuki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got ahold of kirby's dream collection and when i boot it up whenever i select any of the classic games the screen goes black and it will reset me back at the wii's main menu. I don't know what the problem is my wii has firmware 4.3, with ios 249 with base 56. and I using USB Loader GX as my game loader. So any tips or help will be appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have two solution when a game have a multi-game menu:

Solution 1: Choose the game to play before booting
Go to USBLoader GX > Game settings > Alternative dol :
- Select on boot (it will show you a list of possible sub-game when you launch it).
or
- Select Dol + Select Dol Offset (it will allow you to select the dol manually once by clicking on the line just bellow from the "Select Dol offset" option). This time, it will not ask on boot, but always launch this selected dol.

Advantage: quick boot the sub-game
Disadvantage: no menu, save management, etc. if these are selected from the main boot.dol (like for Metroid prime)

Solution 2: Allow the game to reload the IOS
- You need a recent USBloaderGX version (2.3+ I think)
- You need to install d2x cIOS (I think v4+ or v6+ I don't remember). just install the latest v8 :P
- Go to USB Loader GX > game setting > Block IOS reload : set to "ON" ("Auto" should work too if it detects d2x, but set it to ON to be sure)
- be sure that the game is using the IOS slot where you have the d2x installed.
that's all.
Launch the game, it will play like it's intended and you can select subgame without the Wii reseting.

Usually, when a game has multiple dols, the loader says "communicate this value to the development team".
You saw that message?
if yes, which value did it gave you?

Jimpex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had minor issues with this game, too. Have a PAL Wii and managed the game to load(with ForcePAL50). While the game starts there is a pink bar at the lower end of the screen. But this is not my main concern.
In the game menu of the classic games I just can launch Games no 1,3 and 6. Launching no 2,4 and 5 results in a black screen. I am using GX Rev1202 with D2Xv8(56 in 249). Did i need to set something else besides setting on the "block IOS reload setting"?

@Cyan:
After playing around with the alternate dol settings usb loadr gx wants me to tell this to the devolopers: S72E01-1148 (this is the N64 part of the game)

kind regards
Jimpex

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's strange that only half the games are working, and only odd numbers.
the games doesn't have all the sub-games in .dol file?

Could you tell me how many dols are detected using the "Select Dol" menu in the game settings?

Jimpex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Every sub-game has its own .dol file and you can choose every single one of it if you use the select dol method...

azakhan

Trophies
XP
Country
'Disadvantage: no menu, save management, etc. if these are selected from the main boot.dol (like for Metroid prime)'

1) What does 'if these are selected from the main boot.dol (like for Metroid prime)' mean?

If I choose 'select on boot' will this be the 'main boot.dol'? (Will the above disadvantages therefore apply to me?)

2) I read this : 'There is a weird saving quirk to the games. In order to save, you have to press the Home button and then reset the game. It reveals that these games are basically just Virtual Console games on a disc, and also makes for a really unresponsive and unclear save system.'

Will the save system still work the same if I 'select on boot'?

3) I used the wiihacks guide (which was great) to softmod and I installed d2x v8 final.

I have a PAL 4.3E wii and my settings credit shows: Rev1209 IOS249 (Rev21008) d2xv8 final base 56.
When I load the game and get to the main menu, I go to the classic games and when I try to load any of them it goes to a black screen (it doesn't reset like these other guys) and I have to manually turn off the wii.

update: 3 of the six games are working (on all of the tested cIOS). The ones which work: kirby 64, and the 2 black and white gameboy games (kirby's dream land 1 & 2) The exact same games Jimpex has working. The difference is that I don't have the pink bar underneath which he described. I'm also using 'force pal 50' even though the rest of the game worked fine with 'system default'.

I have USB Loader GX Block IOS reload : set to "ON" but it didn't change anything.
Hope someone can help, thanks!

azakhan

Trophies
XP
Country
Yo Cyan my man, I was wondering if you could help me out, I can also post a syscheck if it will help but how do I put it in a spoiler format?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Looks like a region or video mode problem to me. Did you try forcing NTSC / video mode depending on the disc? I'm assuming the game is NTSC, and forcing PAL50 in a NTSC game is a really bad idea.

If forcing NTSC works, but your tv doesn't like it, there might be a solution, but it's very complicated.

Reactions: azakhan

azakhan

Trophies
XP
Country
That's amazing Wiipower, it worked! I've been trying to solve this problem for over a month and nobody else has been able to provide a solution anywhere on the web, kudos!

I'm wondering why forcing PAL50 is a bad idea with NTSC? Normally NTSC games work fine for me with the 'system default' or 'auto' settings for video. But if those don't work I force PAL50 and it has worked in the past. Not that I really understand how it works, should I be forcing NTSC in those situations also?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's amazing Wiipower, it worked! I've been trying to solve this problem for over a month and nobody else has been able to provide a solution anywhere on the web, kudos!

I'm wondering why forcing PAL50 is a bad idea with NTSC? Normally NTSC games work fine for me with the 'system default' or 'auto' settings for video. But if those don't work I force PAL50 and it has worked in the past. Not that I really understand how it works, should I be forcing NTSC in those situations also?

NTSC is about 720x480 pixels with 60 Hz and NTSC color encoding.
PAL50 is about 720x576 pixels with 50 Hz and PAL color encoding.
PAL60 is about 720x480 pixels with 60 Hz and PAL color encoding.

If your tv supports PAL and NTSC, set the video mode to "disc" or similar instead of "system default". The only reason why the option "system default" exists in the 1st place is that >90% of the non digital US tvs don't support PAL, and playing with PAL video mode on those would result in a black and white picture. (black and white is what happens if the color encoding is not supported by the tv) Also, PAL50 on those US tvs, also sometimes results in a jumping screen, as they are hard coded to 60 Hz.

Using the video mode from the game region is the more compatible option. There shouldn't be any game that needs you to force PAL although it's a NTSC game, at least i never heard of anything like that.

Forcing PAL50 sometimes works fine, because most games use standard libaries, which just support all wii video modes. But if a game only supports NTSC, and you force PAL50, somehow(!), you are lucky if you only get black bars at top/botton.

And last but not least, at least older consoles(ps2 and before, but maybe even up to Wii, don't know), use refresh rate as the game timer. If you run such a game with 50 HZ, it runs slower than it is supposed to. Google PAL slowdown.

Reactions: azakhan

azakhan

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't stress enough how grateful I am for your help WiiPower; literally no one else on the internet has been able to provide the solution despite my listing the help of other forums' experts doing racking their brains.

Anyhow, does this mean PAL coding is always inferior (because it is 50 Hz rather than 60 Hz and the black letterbox borders)? If I can get a NTSC ISO does that mean it will run at 60Hz even though I have a 50 Hz tv (it's a toshiba HD LCD)? And how do I know if my tv supports NTSC (I'm sure it does since 'force NTSC' worked for me with this game, but I want to double check)

I've changed my default settings in USB loader GX to 'disc default' video mode since my Wii is PAL region it sounds like you're saying I would likely not ever benefit from the 'system default' which was made to benefit NTSC. If I can get 'forced' NTSC to run will I get the benefits (including no black borders etc)? In other words if I have a choice, should I go for NTSC? Any advice is much appreciated!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't stress enough how grateful I am for your help WiiPower; literally no one else on the internet has been able to provide the solution despite my listing the help of other forums' experts doing racking their brains.

Anyhow, does this mean PAL coding is always inferior (because it is 50 Hz rather than 60 Hz and the black letterbox borders)? If I can get a NTSC ISO does that mean it will run at 60Hz even though I have a 50 Hz tv (it's a toshiba HD LCD)? And how do I know if my tv supports NTSC (I'm sure it does since 'force NTSC' worked for me with this game, but I want to double check)

I've changed my default settings in USB loader GX to 'disc default' video mode since my Wii is PAL region it sounds like you're saying I would likely not ever benefit from the 'system default' which was made to benefit NTSC. If I can get 'forced' NTSC to run will I get the benefits (including no black borders etc)? In other words if I have a choice, should I go for NTSC? Any advice is much appreciated!

PAL50 has the higher resolution and there's a complicated difference in the color encoding, not sure if it means that PAL supports more colors.

I would set the video mode to disc, and then choose between PAL50 and PAL60 for PAL games(official video mode setting), whatever you like better. PAL60 is almost identical with NTSC, and both are very close to the progessive video mode 480p you get with component cables. The progessive video mode should technically neither be PAL or NTSC, even if the loaders say so.

Why are you not using component cables? Since you used PAL50, i thought you got some old non digital tv.

azakhan

Trophies
XP
Country
My pre-owned wii came with RCA cables for composite video (red-white-yellow), but didn't have a SCART connector so I plugged them in directly to the composite connectors of my tv, which does happen to also have component input. Would component make a big difference? If I bought component cables then which option would I choose for video (480p?) and would that be available for all games or only a small number?

I have already set the video to 'disc default' in the main options (general settings for all games) in GX, but then how do I also then set it to PAL 50 or 60? Do you mean in the individual option settings for each game?

The reason I previously used PAL50: I was told on another forum to 'force PAL' if I get a black screen on NTSC games. No one ever told me to force NTSC. I first tried 'force PAL60' on samurai showdown collection and still got a black screen, but when I switched to force PAL50 It ran, with the famously ugly black letterbox borders. But from then on I figured since my tv is only 50Hz that PAL60 wouldn't run (also based on my experience with that game). But am I now right in understanding that 60 frames per second is different to 60Hz which is the refresh rate of tv's, which is the reason why I can in fact run 60 FPS with PAL60 or NTSC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu