Kingston 8GB MicroSD4HC-Japan

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by MiskatCitnamor, Nov 4, 2008.

Nov 4, 2008
  1. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

Newcomer MiskatCitnamor Newbie

United States
    So I just received 2 of these cards: Kingston 8GB MicroSD4HC Japanese made, bought off of DealWoot. Both cards have given me an error when I try to copy more than about 940MB worth of data onto them. The Error is "Cannot copy file. The parameter is invalid." Interestingly enough both the Panasonic SD formater program... thing... as well as Windows XPs own format tool report it as having a maximum formatted capacity of 960mb.

Also interestingly enough I found that... I think Panasonic?.. SD cards that are listed as 1GB have 944mb usable. Last time I gave formating the card a go, I did it as FAT32 with 512byte cluster size... and got 944mb usable on the card.

So: is this a problem with my card reader, my operating system, or are the cards fake? I've seen some confusion about this across the internet.

I also find it a bit suspicious that while the cards look fine, the packaging for the cards lists the cards as being Class 8 (!!!) cards.

Thanks everyone! I hope this can get figured out. ^^;;;

[EDIT: Interestingly I just went to Kingston's website, as listed on the product package (www.kingston.com/asia/products) and they list the 8GB MicroSD4HC as coming with 2 different adapters... mine only came with 1. Not sure if that matters on iota, though.]

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    there is a chance it might be fake
    though from dealwoot, its shouldnt be fake, if anything its over priced on their site
    you should have bought your cards from newegg

though it might be your reader
    which one are you using?

also there is different packages for the cards
    one comes with a SD converter, and the other one comes with SD and I think minisd converter or something like that

3. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

United States
    My package came with a MiniSD adapter (which I like and seems to work fine.)

The cards seemed like a good deal, got them for $30 each, but I'll check out NewEgg. I just kept hearing that the Japanese made cards were superior and I wasn't sure if I could reliably get them anywhere other than realhotstuff or dealwoot.

The reader is BestBuy's brand: Dynex. It's a 6-in-1 style USB reader that claims to support SD, SDHC, MMC, RS-MMC, MiniSD, and MicroSD. Using the MicroSD directly or using the MiniSD adapter give them same results. BestBuy guy swore it would accept the MicroSDHC, but I don't really trust that and somewhat suspect it's the reader, though so much else seems weird about this that I'm a bit confused.

I also tried the USB reader that came with the CycloDS to the same ends. Also tried using the MiniSD adapter and then putting it into my girlfriends camcorder and connecting that to my PC, essentially using the camcorder as a pass-through.

All gave the same results. [​IMG]

[EDIT: Just checked NewEgg... $20!? Yeesh. Class4 is Class4, whether it's Japanese, American, or Thai, right? Hmm....]

4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  5. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

United States
    I have this reader: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;js...d=1181832418044

And yeah, the package makes me feel a bit squeamish but like I said, the card itself reads Class4 and looks legit. I honestly don't know what to make of that, but I've sent DealWoot a message about it, hopefully they get back to me tomorrow. *sighs*

All this and my XBox RRoDed yesterday. lol Go figure. [​IMG]

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    ah ok
    I think that does indeed read SDHC, I was actually gonna get that reader when my m3 reader crapped out but got a $1.50 sandisk reader from amazon and been working fine since june

on the actual microsd card
    there should be a little circle right next to where it says microsdhc, does it say 4 or 8 in it?

7. GamerzInc

Member GamerzInc GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I got the same card from newegg for 19.99. It arrives tomorrow. I'll post back here.

8. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

United States
    Reads 4. As I said, the card itself looks legit... if I can find an imagehost I'll post a pic of it... one sec.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    http://kimag.es/ that sites host images
    and doesnt post spam in your images either like imageshack started doing...

10. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

United States
    OK... so her camcorder (it's an Aitek or something like that... supposed to be HD, 720p quality and able to take 8megapixel still shots) can't take a readable picture of those cards to save it's life.

That's a bit disappointing.

At any rate, It reads

Micro
    SD
    HC 4
    8GB
    C08G Japan
    0737L 34533V
    Kingston
    SDC4/8GB

There is one more string of numbers below that that I can just barely make out. serial numbers or part number or something.

11. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yea it does seems legit

last thing I can suggest if try formatting it on a different computer with the cyclods reader
    just to clear any suspicions that its your computer

12. MiskatCitnamor
    OP

United States
    Actually... the last time I formatted it, it was on my girlfriends laptop with the reader that came with the CycloDS. FAT32 with 512b cluster size. [​IMG]

I've tried 4 computers now, one Vista and 3 XP.

Bleh.

13. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    so you tried multiple computers, multiple readers

it seems that it is indeed faulty cards