Hacking Kingston 1GB MicroSD

reilina

just a neophyte...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 1gb kingston that they sell at newegg is randomly chosen (i got the made in taiwan)
so with that said its better to buy the PNY which cost $20 bucks coz that for sure is compatible
and made in japan.

ill try geeks.com and see if there toshiba is made in japan also
bec there is now toshiba micro SD that are made in taiwan so watch out for that.

XeroRestraint

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try calling Kingston to have them exchanged for the Japanese cards (if you get a helpful customer service technician, he will do it). I was able to RMA my two Taiwan cards I purchased from newegg. I told Kingston that the card made in Japan formats to 982 MB and that the Taiwan card only formats to 952 MB (plus the access time is slower on the Taiwan card using compatible devices). Kingston sent me two brand new cards (SD-C01G assembled in Japan) - plus they pay for shipping both ways (and with the advance shipping option, they send the new card before you even have to return the old one).Â

dude

Well, I tried your suggestion and ws unsuccessful. First spoke to RMA support and was then transferred to a tech as planned, but I guess I just got an unfriendly representative. He denied my claims and said that there was nothing physically wrong with the card and they would not exchange it. I even told him that I had a brand new, unopened card that I would just like to trade for a (J) version and he said they don't do that.
mad.gif

Yes, he was quite the toolbox. Well, I won't waste any more effort on it any more. My time is more valuable than a $10 memory card. Hell, they're cheap enough that I can get a third one from Meritline, who seems to consistently ship (J) versions.

Eyecue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered mine from Meritline!
biggrin.gif
Hopefully it's Japanese made. If not, would the Taiwanese one make any difference? From what I've been reading, just slower load time?

wastedyeti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered a Kingston 1GB from newegg on Wednesday at noon, package was at my door step the next day on Thursday at 4 pm. Microsd card was made in Japan.
smile.gif

pcsoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One from newegg, Taiwanese.
mad.gif
Two from Kingston.com both Japanese.
laugh.gif
I order two from meritline at $9.95. Haven't arrived yet.
unsure.gif

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I received two Kingston 1GB microsd from Meritline for $9.95 each and they were both from Japan. If you are looking for a Toshiba 1 GB microsd to be sure it is from Japan they are for sale on Amazon.com for about $20.00 each.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also ordered two from Meritline on Thursday, received them today (California to Michigan in two days for free)! One from Japan and one from Taiwan. Oh well, the Taiwan one will go into the Wii and the Japanese one will go into the M3Simply. I've always ordered my GC media (Ritek G04 mini DVD-Rs) from Meritline and will continue with my Wii media as well. I'm betting the Wii will like the Ritek G04 as well as the GC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters