Status
Not open for further replies.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
ohoni said:
QUOTE said:
The AP Check doesn't really have to do anything with CFW, KHBBS and God Eater simply shuts off memory card / doesn't read from memory card at certain points. They need to change the game program, not firmware. Both games already decrypt with decryptor

How does a game like this work on the PSP Go (using completely legal methods)? It doesn't have a UMD at all, right?

It doesn't. It will never be available on the PSP Go unless they remove the AP code for the PSN release. Since Disney has said KHBBS will not be available on PSN, that isn't an issue. I don't know if God Eater is supposed to be released on the PSN or if it will also be exclusively a UMD release.

mcsdoode

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rock Raiyu said:
You do know that the only reason this anti-piracy check is exists in this game is because there won't be a PSN release right?

Totally didn't think about that.... thanks for the reminder.

nl255 said:
ohoni said:
QUOTEThe AP Check doesn't really have to do anything with CFW, KHBBS and God Eater simply shuts off memory card / doesn't read from memory card at certain points. They need to change the game program, not firmware. Both games already decrypt with decryptor

How does a game like this work on the PSP Go (using completely legal methods)? It doesn't have a UMD at all, right?

It doesn't. It will never be available on the PSP Go unless they remove the AP code for the PSN release. Since Disney has said KHBBS will not be available on PSN, that isn't an issue. I don't know if God Eater is supposed to be released on the PSN or if it will also be exclusively a UMD release.

This is some straight up bull****; how dare they treat their customers like this? What's sad is that the only people who bought the overpriced PspGo were those who actually cared enough about the PSP system itself.... how sad =/

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Being a fan and supporting a company is one thing, but buying a ridiculous failure of a device is another. Common sense would have prevented those 'supporters' from buying a PSPGo.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
mcsdoode said:
QUOTE said:

This is some straight up bull****; how dare they treat their customers like this? What's sad is that the only people who bought the overpriced PspGo were those who actually cared enough about the PSP system itself.... how sad =/

You're right mcsdoode it is bullshit but its down to Square Enix not Sony. Don't blame Sony for there being no PSN release they have to be approached by Square Enix to put one up. Square Enix are citing licensing issues with Disney (possibly these "Licensing Issues" are just the cause of the anti-piracy method)

QUOTE(dirty_harry @ Feb 7 2010, 12:20 PM)
Being a fan and supporting a company is one thing, but buying a ridiculous failure of a device is another. Common sense would have prevented those 'supporters' from buying a PSPGo.

PSPGo! was an experiment and it fell on its arse due to lack of support and the fact that people still want their games instantly these days rather than having to download them first.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New console revision is released, you read some previews, see that it is lacking a UMD slot, you forget about buying the overpriced console. That's what a sensible person does. I like SONY, but I wont support their stupidity with a purchase.

Vote with your wallet. They conducted an experiment as you put it Jam, I thought it was a mound or feces, so did many many others. I like the idea of download only, and it is the direction that gaming is going, but it's too early. Internet speeds are not quite spectacular in many parts of the world, bandwidth issues and access issues really hamper a PORTABLE console.

I thought it was stupid, so I didn't buy. If nobody buys, we discourage this sort of failure. They could have bolstered their digital purchase endeavor and still kept their backward compatibility.

As for Square-Enix, this 'licensing issue with disney seems like bogus. But by pulling this move, they just shit on the face of all those PSPGo buyers, and many many people who purchased a new PSP specifically to play KHBBS. What a kick in the sack for those poor people. I really do feel sorry for them.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
dirty_harry said:
As for Square-Enix, this 'licensing issue with disney seems like bogus. But by pulling this move, they just shit on the face of all those PSPGo buyers, and many many people who purchased a new PSP specifically to play KHBBS. What a kick in the sack for those poor people. I really do feel sorry for them.

QUOTE(Jamstruth @ Feb 7 2010, 05:22 PM) Square Enix are citing licensing issues with Disney (possibly these "Licensing Issues" are just the cause of the anti-piracy method)

Way I see it, possibly Disney forced them to put the most stringent AP method they could on it and they came up with the idea of blocking memory stick access thereby stopping ISO loading (although apparently the UMD doesn't work either, there must be more checks in place) but as a result it couldn't be placed on PSN, Squenix and Disney gave the go ahead and the PSP Go was shat on...

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A credible theory Jam, but what of GodEater? It too seems to use a strong AP and a requirement of 6.20. They may be riding the wave that KH:BBS created...

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
God Eater seems to require some extra thing to be executed...I read something on the PSP-Gen forums hang on...

This is what I've figured out so far by doing some live-debugging...

6.20+ FW psps launch OPNSSMP.BIN BEFORE (in addition to) EBOOT.BIN.

OPNSSMP.BIN is a self-extracting executeable. Very much like the Code-Protectors we know from PC, like Themida, etc...
That pack the actual code... and only provide a minimal readable code that REALLY unpacks the code and then launches it...

This is a similiar case here...

The fully decrypted OPNSSMP.BIN is made up of 2 parts...

72 bytes of code - uncompressed - unencrypted - this code makes up the module_load function i've reversed...
At first I thought I made a mistake with the second firmware call argument 320...

But I didnt - I was right...

Now I will tell you guys what this code really does... the first function call - im not too sure about yet... I guess it setups some place in memory to use as buffer for the kirk engine. (the stuff the psp uses to crypt and decrypt ****...)

The second function called - ONLY IF 18 IS PASSED TO module_load as the first unsigned integer of argp - will call the kirk engine itself and now's the clue as to what the 320 means...

320 is a RELATIVE address to the beginning of the .text segment of OPNSSMP.BIN... so the only fault was that i didn't add the base addr to it...

This pointer points to 120 bytes of ENCRYPTED MEMORY! inside of OPNSSMP.BIN - yes - its encrypted - in case you guys are interested you can decrypt OPNSSMP.BIN yourself and disassemble it... its at the relative address - you guessed it - 320!

Anyway, the call to the second function (kirk engine) - decrypts this 120 bytes of encrypted memory - and thus makes the unencrypted memory readable to EBOOT.BIN for various "checks".

This is possible because the PSP has no MMU (memory management unit) built in... this means every usermode module can access every other usermode modules memory... which Sony uses to read the now-decrypted kirk memory inside OPNSSMP.BIN for its various checks...

Due to us not loading OPNSSMP.BIN EVER! This memory spot stays unitialized with unproper values... and well... EBOOT.BIN gives you the nice bsod.

Again - to sum it up for those that still didnt get it...

OPNSSMP.BIN = 1 function + 120 bytes encrypted shared memory
this function (ive reversed it for you guys a few posts above this one) - executes the psp kirk crypt engine and decrypts the memory.

because opnssmp.bin has the "stay in memory" flag in its module settings... it wont get unloaded either... as long as the game is running... so the eboot.bin - on 6.20 fws... has full access to those 120 decrypted bytes for its checks.

and last but not least... now that the 6.20 mystery has been solved..."

If all the info so far is right (it is right...) every guy should be able to code a 6.20 launcher now.

The whole encryption ****, etc. is all the truth... I triple checked it to make sure...

Just the question whether my theory of 6.20 game loading the PS.BIN before EBOOT.BIN is right now.
All it needs now is a kernelloader with high priority... loading that usermode module into userspace before the eboot.bin pops up...

Should solve ****
Source

Post is unsourced but from what I gleaned (much of it goes over my head) Extra games require an extra piece of code to be run to enable checks, this code is ran via the boot.bin which we don't run as it causes some piracy checks or whatever (not sure). Obviously if we run the boot.bin the code gets run and the checks block the game running and if we don't run the code the eboot gives us a nice error message.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
biggrin.gif

the source of that unsourced is where I actually posted it in the god eater forum (the one on gbatemp). So I know who it is, it's coldbird that posted that. And no, he wasn't successful getting it to work. Though I'm glad that someone posted it at GEN forums. Coldbird is now working on another theory right now, I check up on his activities occasionally.

Sitting tight right now, didn't you say the GEN team have a somewhat working 6.20 that boots KH:BBS?

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
No, just 6.20 CFW... I don't know what kind of piracy checks are employed but at the moment I'd say our only hope of an ISO loading is to modify the eboot and somehow remove the code that blocks MS access

Bixbite said:
Noob question, but what would a PSN release have anything to do with anti-piracy?
Not much really, its just that because of the Anti Piracy there can never be a PSN release except if the code blocking MS access is removed, when that happens people will jump on it and replace it in their ISO creating an ISO loadable KH:BBS. (Or at least one that's easier to avoid the piracy checks on)

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dirty_harry said:
New console revision is released, you read some previews, see that it is lacking a UMD slot, you forget about buying the overpriced console. That's what a sensible person does. I like SONY, but I wont support their stupidity with a purchase.

Vote with your wallet. They conducted an experiment as you put it Jam, I thought it was a mound or feces, so did many many others. I like the idea of download only, and it is the direction that gaming is going, but it's too early. Internet speeds are not quite spectacular in many parts of the world, bandwidth issues and access issues really hamper a PORTABLE console.

I thought it was stupid, so I didn't buy. If nobody buys, we discourage this sort of failure. They could have bolstered their digital purchase endeavor and still kept their backward compatibility.

Square-Enix did offer way enough Kingdom Hearts BBS bundle that isn't over priced in Japan. Out side of Japan, well, the game was meant to be sold only in Japan right now.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I suppose the AP has really got them stumped... this discovery of coldbird's might be the key to actually get it working. OPNSSMP.BIN on that semi-functional 6.20 could just work. Someone should propose this on the GEN forums.

EDIT:

djricekcn: I didn't say BBS was overpriced. I said the GO was overpriced. I only touched on BBS at the end of my post, Imagine thinking "Oh awesome KH:BBS is coming to the PSP, this is going to be huge, it's finally time to buy a PSP! Oh, look a new PSP came out, looks good but its a bit pricey. Oh well, I guess its worth it". Then you learn that you cant play it ON SONY'S LATEST HANDHELD. Wow, what a kick in the sack.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
dirty_harry said:
I suppose the AP has really got them stumped... this discovery of coldbird's might be the key to actually get it working. OPNSSMP.BIN on that semi-functional 6.20 could just work. Someone should propose this on the GEN forums.

It has been (remember I said I found it on the GEN Forums) but the poster refused to cite his source and it got shot down in flames, if you can give me all the info you have on the guy (via PM is probably best, links to his site/blog thing where you found this info) I can make a quick post there and see if I can't rekindle it a little. No mod ever posted in the thread (its hidden away in the International Section's News bit which I doubt anybody checks, the international section is generally spammed with n00bs)

fkw12

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
man Jamstruth sounds so smart spamming the last 2 pages with shit that I can barely even begin to understand xD

if he so smart why can't he pull all of us outta this dilema?

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
fkw12 said:
man Jamstruth sounds so smart spamming the last 2 pages with shit that I can barely even begin to understand xD

if he so smart why can't he pull all of us outta this dilema?

Because my coding level is on par with SkullCollector's. I can do COMAL (a relatively useless language) at the moment and I've probably forgotten half of that. I have no knowledge of reverse engineering programming at all, all I've been posting is stuff I've gleaned from other posts and attempting to understand that spoiler I posted. I was not spamming, merely making a valid contribution to the thread
biggrin.gif

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dirty_harry said:

EDIT:

djricekcn: I didn't say BBS was overpriced. I said the GO was overpriced. I only touched on BBS at the end of my post, Imagine thinking "Oh awesome KH:BBS is coming to the PSP, this is going to be huge, it's finally time to buy a PSP! Oh, look a new PSP came out, looks good but its a bit pricey. Oh well, I guess its worth it". Then you learn that you cant play it ON SONY'S LATEST HANDHELD. Wow, what a kick in the sack.

ahh, i misunderstood you then. really sorry aboyt that.

dirty_harry

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djricekcn said:
dirty_harry said:

EDIT:

ahh, i misunderstood you then. really sorry aboyt that.

No problems mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1