Gaming Just replaced my DS phat case

Mondegreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had my DS phat since release in 2005 and my small hinge just broke about three weeks ago, so I ordered a new case from DealExtreme. The case was actually pretty crappy, but that's beside the point. I replaced the case, but I must have damaged the ribbon cables because this was the result:

eulcg6.jpg

2w5jebm.jpg

The second image is a close-up of the touch screen running Mario Kart DS.

As you can see, the top screen image is somehow superimposed onto the touch screen and the top screen is blank. Also, the colours are messed up. I'm pretty sure it's the ribbon cables but does anyone know how this is possible and if I can fix it?

Mondegreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TDWP FTW said:
Gee, no wonder it stopped working. Look at that horrid case. Poor, poor DS Phat.

LOL true dat! I'm getting a 3DS in a few weeks so it doesn't really matter that much but I'm just curious.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well at least you did my ds phat has a loose cable for top screen(damn broken hinge) and im too paranoid to fix it that ill end up breaking it ill probly sell it on ebay. i dont think a temper wants it

Mondegreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly the case doesn't look that bad irl, it's just the flash. But seriously, don't tell me how bad it looks, I want to know how it's possible for the top screen image to be on the touchscreen.

Mondegreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ron975 said:
2nd, you would have to re-arrange the ribbon cables and risk ripping them.

I know I have the cables in the right spots, so maybe I accidentally broke something on the motherboard? IDK...

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
ron975 said:

I know I have the cables in the right spots, so maybe I accidentally broke something on the motherboard? IDK...
All I can think of is maybe the ribbon cable is "shorting." (In quotes because I'm 90% certain that it's not the right term, but the right idea at least.) The output for the top-screen is somehow making contact with the output for the bottom screen. Why the superimposed image instead of one being more dominant than the other? No idea. I say crack it open again.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Crack it open again and check the placement of the ribbon cables. If they came undone, loose, or you had to reconnect them at all during the process, you could have potentially have done it wrong. Also make sure it is all put back together the right way.

This is just odd though. I can't find anybody else having had this problem.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pokefreak2008 said:
well at least you did my ds phat has a loose cable for top screen(damn broken hinge) and im too paranoid to fix it that ill end up breaking it ill probly sell it on ebay. i dont think a temper wants it

I'll take it if you don't want it. I can use a spare DS so I can use it for multi-player.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You know, that looks kinda awesome.
smile.gif

But as others said, maybe the ribbon cable really is wrong put or something.

Mondegreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
TehSkull said:
ObJeCtIoN!!!! said:
ron975 said:

All I can think of is maybe the ribbon cable is "shorting." (In quotes because I'm 90% certain that it's not the right term, but the right idea at least.) The output for the top-screen is somehow making contact with the output for the bottom screen. Why the superimposed image instead of one being more dominant than the other? No idea. I say crack it open again.

Oh sorry my description was bad the bottom screen image is much more dominant than the top screen one. but they are both still on the touch screen.

QUOTE(SignZ @ Mar 13 2011, 11:39 AM)
You know, that looks kinda awesome.
smile.gif

But as others said, maybe the ribbon cable really is wrong put or something.

Hehe glad you think that
laugh.gif
it actually does look pretty awesome in real life.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FlashX007 said:
pokefreak2008 said:

I'll take it if you don't want it. I can use a spare DS so I can use it for multi-player.
i was gonna sell it i need money to replace it with either as dslite or dsi

Mixkon

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Going off topic for a bit here. I was planning to do the same with my Dsi as the surface holding down my d pad seemned to have cracked upon. Was wondering if there was any tips that i should be aware of?

And wouldn't you be able to buy another screen and the cables it attaches with from Deal Extreme, if the case was short circuting?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.