Just got a virgin Wii!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheDarkSeed, Aug 3, 2010.

Aug 3, 2010

Just got a virgin Wii! by TheDarkSeed at 11:02 PM (1,851 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. TheDarkSeed
    OP

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Got it about an hour ago [​IMG] . it's on 3.4u. I came here cause I don't wanna fuck up.

*sigh* the last time I modified system files in a wii was summer of '08

2. Gabber

Newcomer Gabber Member

Netherlands
    Check out this forums Sticky's. Youll be good

3. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    3.4 Good job!! lol Where did u get it?? lol

4. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Well first, and most importantly, use protection. [​IMG]

But yeah, just look at the stickies in the Wii hacking section and you're good to go! [​IMG]

5. gaojiugao

Newcomer gaojiugao Advanced Member

China
    3.4U? No kidding ? If it's brand new console, you are a good luck boy. Cause this original machine is extinct for a long time [​IMG]

6. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    3.4 !?! Wow, your so unlucky that version is so hard to mod. You want a new Black Wii. Let me take that nasty 3.4 one off you hands [​IMG]

But seriously, just read-up on the new stickies for the latest and greatest ways to mod your Wii, and may I recommend the CompleteSoftmodGuide.

-[]D

7. bjorno

Member bjorno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    3.4 isnt that cool, since you cant install bootmii as boot 2. (this is the newer model, unless its upgraded from 3.3)
    3.3 can install bootmii as boot 2

You probably got the old disc drive though, that can read dvd backups [​IMG]

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Lucky You - but back onto topic

I'm a (relative) newbie as well - & had trouble understanding the 'CompleteSoftmodGuide', but then I found This post

Downloaded it, ran it, Answered the questions, followed instructions - Worked first time !!!

The only problem's I've had are
    1) Found out that I can't play home-made DVD's on the Wii (but Shop brought work fine)
    2) I tried updating an IOS manually (I think it was 249) & I started having games locking up on me when playing from a USB HDD - 'fixed' it by using a BootMii backup (although I lost all my games saves - 'cos I didn't back them up - DUH)

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Exactly!
    This helped me too with my Wii. It's extremely useful!

10. TheDarkSeed
    OP

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I got it from "global trader web . com" for $149. It came with a storage & protection kit, 2 silicone jackets, and a Wii hat!

11. TheZoc

Member TheZoc GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    What's the advantage of the 3.4U menu ? It's the ability to run disk backups (DVD-R) or there's something else ?
    (I got a Wii with the same System Menu, but I thought it was a good idea to update to 4.2U. I haven't updated boot2. If someone can give some answers about it, please, take some time and reply to my post, so we don't change subjects on this topic: http://gbatemp.net/t257693-updating-from-s...-4-2u-and-boot2 )

Back on topic,
    I'm glad you could find the solutions yourself. If you still have trouble:

- CompleteSoftmodGuide: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
    - ModMii: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=207126

Posts merged

What's the advantage of the 3.4U menu ? It's the ability to run disk backups (DVD-R) or there's something else ?
    (I got a Wii with the same System Menu, but I thought it was a good idea to update to 4.2U. I haven't updated boot2. If someone can give some answers about it, please, take some time and reply to my post, so we don't change subjects on this topic: http://gbatemp.net/t257693-updating-from-s...-4-2u-and-boot2 - Thanks in advance! )

Back on topic,
    I'm glad you could find the solutions yourself. If you still have trouble:

- CompleteSoftmodGuide: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
    - ModMii: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=207126

12. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    @the Zoc,
    It just means that it is an old model wii that can play backup discs and install bootmii as boot2. If the same wii was updated to 4.2, then it would still be capable of those things, but we wouldn't be able to know for sure by JUST its firmware version.

There's only 1 benefit to updating your boot2 version. If are able to install bootmii @ boot2, and your boot2 version is less than boot2v4, your bootmii will be 'uninstalled' in the event of an accidental official nintendo update. To prevent this, you can update your boot2 to v4 using dop-mii (this 'uninstalls' bootmii @ boot2) then immediately launch the hackmii installer and re-install Bootmii @ boot2. And this time your bootmii will be labelled as v4, and will remain untouched by an official nintendo update.

PS. If you are having problems modding your Wii, try using ModMii's ModMii Wizard and follow all those steps exactly... it sounds like u following many different guides, it's best to just stick with one good one and follow it to the end instead of using parts from different guides.

PPS. You already installed IOS58, so u don't need to run the IOS58 Installer. But the reason it is failing is because of a bug in the HBC, any app that has "no_ios_reload" in its meta.xml (ie. IOS58 installer) will probably fail if you do not have a working internet connection set-up on your wii. To prevent apps like this from failing, either set up an internet connection (be sure to say no when asked to do an update) or wait in the HBC for 60 seconds before starting the app (this will not work 100% of the time, but it increases your chances of success from almost 0% to maybe 80%)