Just a curious, dumb question. About the two susUpdaters

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by StriderVM, Jan 5, 2016.

1. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    What's the difference between the two sysUpdaters?

One is from Julian20 and one is from TuxSH.

Are they both mods? What are it's difference compared to the official one? Which is safer for downgrading.

Any knowledgable ones want to share their experiences?

2. Hyura

Hyura GBAtemp Fan

Mar 23, 2013
    Brazil
    TuxSH's sysUpdater can hardbrick your 3DS according to @julian20.

I don't even know the differences anymore, but I used julian's sysupdater and it worked.

3. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    That's what I notice as well. But what's the difference between the two? And does the official version work for downgrading as well?

4. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    your title is very misleading
    i wish people would consider the fact that sysupdater is primarily used to update sysnand hence sys-update-r as in "system update"
    and that these new sysupdater downgrade mods are just that mods and as such should be labeled that way when they create threads
    perhaps thats just wishful thinking . . . i mean after all 1/2 of all you downgrading now are doing so after being told not to update from previous versions and never listened and all of you are also being told that they need to be careful and there is a brick risk alongside page after page of people that bricked before them trying to downgrade and are doing that anyway . . . so yup probably wishful thinking
    edit: sorry i had some other crap in there fixed it
    2nd edit: there were way more than two releases of sysupdater "the two" as you put it are both mods

Last edited by wormdood, Jan 6, 2016
  5. StriderVM
    OP

StriderVM GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2015
    .... What would be a more appropriate thread title? I was just asking a question..... >.<

6. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    "what is the difference in the sysupdater builds for downgrades?"
    or
    "which susypdater downgrader is better"
    or something along those lines

edit:
    here are some direct answers
    there are way more than two

the two in question yes

the official sysupdater is used for updates

i have no idea

Tony_93 likes this.
  7. Kyouken

Kyouken Repairer of the Breach

Oct 31, 2015
    United States
    GBATemp
    Having read a bunch of threads about downgrading and continuing to do so for about four days now, this is what I gleaned:

Talking about Julian20's specifically, it downgrades SAFEMODE titles or whatever first so that there's a much better chance of being able to boot into SAFEMODE if something goes wrong. I also believe it includes Steveice10's change that made it so only one title at a time is ever uninstalled/installed. So it uninstalls one title, then installs the downgraded version of that title, and so on for each title in the list. Lastly, it also does something with NATIVE_FIRM (or whatever it's called) that's supposed to be safer. I don't remember much about that one.

All in all it makes it so that there should never be a hardbrick. That 'should' is not 100% though, obviously. Plenty of room for user-error and some unpredictability anyways since the exploit itself and the program isn't completely stable.

wormdood likes this.
  8. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    So is there a way to downgrade to 9.2 + get CFW, or are we still playing the waiting game for a more stable downgrade release?

Someone tell me what's the point in downgrading to 9.2, for non CFW purposes. I really don't see a reason to downgrade if you aren't gonna even use Rxtools.

9. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    The thread title is fine. It says that OP has a question about the two sysupdater builds being used at the moment and that's exactly what OP's post had.

Sometimes I click on that little "show ignored content" button and wonder how that person ended up on my ignore list. Other times it's immediately obvious, stop being a dick.

10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    fixed lol

there is no other point unless rxtools is not your optimal cfw . . . cakes is best for n3ds and rxtools for o3ds

MattKimura likes this.
  11. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I'm I in the wonder list? I can be the biggest dick around here at times :v

12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    "Just a curious, dumb question. About the two susUpdaters"
    "the two" implies that there are only two available and there are more

there are not the "two sysupdater builds being used at the moment" unless you say "to downgrade" then and only then does this statement become correct hence misleading topic title btw afterwards i did answer his questions but. . .
    are you implying you block everything i say . . . good for you do you want a medal or a chest to pin it to? . . . there now i am being a dick

edit: also to tell him about the two versions without being misleading myself i needed to let him know there were more than two, else i would perpetuate his ignorance, and others read the website as well what about them should they not see consistent titles when they look through temp so they get to where they want to be?
    2nd edit: also i answered his questions you came here to insult me and i am the dick lol dude just lol
    lol i think so you got no reply . . . :moogle:

13. Juiss

Juiss GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2016
    France
    julian's version installs the safemode files first, so if something goes wrong there's a better chance your 3DS soft bricks (instead of a hard brick) meaning you will be able to go into recovery mode and fix your 3DS by updating to the newest firmware which atm is 10.3, meaning you can start over.