Jumbled error message from Backup Launcher

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Konstar, Nov 20, 2008.

Nov 20, 2008
  1. Konstar
    OP

Newcomer Konstar Newbie

United States
    I just recently followed a guide from instructables and I got everything to work. I'm not sure how accurate the guide was, but I didn't get any errors. That was before I found out this site. The first game I got was Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. After I burned it and try running it, I get this message below the language. The only word I can make out from it is DVD. It looks like two messages combined. I've read through this board and I think it could be a DVD read error, but I'm not fully sure. I just want to know if it was a problem during the installation or a problem with the DVD? If it is the DVD, what exactly is the rule of thumb for burning? I've been seeing a lot of debate on that.

My Wii's running 3.1U and Backup Launcher 0.3b. Oh and the author of that guide updated it so those aren't exactly the steps I followed.

2. acesniper

Member acesniper GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the cios was not installed correctly. reinstalling it should work. beta is old, use gamma for better speeds and compatibly.

3. w_n_s

Newcomer w_n_s Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I was getting this error with games that didn't work with 0.3beta. 0.3gamma sorted those games out.

Check out the compatibility list here:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Backup_Launcher_v3#A

Personally, if I were you, i'd go to Gamma and follow the full guide posted here:

http://www.iol.ie/~taz/WiiHowToGamma.html

4. FRanatic

Member FRanatic GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I've had similar errors aswell on BL 0.3b.
    Both errors are hardly readable.
    I've seen an error wich started with 'set'. This error refers to the cIOS not being properly installed.
    The other erro I've experienced started with 'dvd'. This error, for me, didn't occur anymore when I burned my games onto Verbatim DVD-R (instead of Arita DVD+R).

Hope that clarifies the situation a little bit.

5. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It probably says "GETGAMMA" lol

6. w_n_s

Newcomer w_n_s Advanced Member

United Kingdom

Just to add to that sorry - I made a mistake - I got a disc read error with the non-working games in 0.3 beta.

The error you speak of (doubled up lines), I got when I used DVD+R's .

I switched to some DVD-R's and was able to boot up my backups on 0.3 Beta just fine using the same ISO's that were giving me the jumbled message on the DVD+R's.

7. Konstar
    OP

Newcomer Konstar Newbie

United States
    Thanks for those helpful replies! A few questions though. When I reinstall the cIOS, do I need to remove the old one first? If I do, will removing the cIOS cause any conflicts with already installed apps? And what is the ideal burn speed for a game? I've seen many different views on this. Its either 3x or max speed, which one is it?

8. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
    always burn at max ... after all if the game doesn't work burning it at max , it won't work burning it at 4x