outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey Guys!
So I'm all nervous but extremely excited becaaaaaaaaause....

I GOT MY FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

Since I've never done a job interview, I have no idea what to do!!!
I have Fancy Clothes which include longe black dress pants, Formal Black dress shoes, and a Black colar shirt white very minor detailed white strips down it.
Along with this I have a Cv/Resume with all my details and such in a nice folder and all my qualifications.
Now since I turn into a nervous ball of destruction when I well.... get nervous lol, I need to prevent this!

So what sorta questions will I be asked? Do you know of any methods to stop myself from Fidgiting? Note im ADHD. For all those people who dont know what that is, Simply I'm Hyper-active and can get distracted easily XD Oh look a butterfly =O
Anyways, So help with that will be appriciated

Now about the job.
The interview is at the Movie Cinemas, Where if I get the position, It will involve Selling tickets, making ice creams and popcorn etc, working the till, cleaning the cinema after movies and such, And ill be getting paid $12.50 an hour.
Pretty swett job if you ask me!

Anyways i hope you guys can help, I would VERY much appreciate it!
Any other tips would be helpful also!

Thanks,
~Jordan (Outgum)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The best advice I can give you is to not worry too much about it. You're going to be working in what is basically customer relations. I know it's just a cinema job, but you'll be dealing with the public all day long. What they'll be looking for is someone who's polite, friendly and relaxed.

As long as you stay those 3 things you're in with a pretty good chance most of the time.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've given a lot of interviews this year and this is what I look for:

Someone who shows that they have taken the time to get to know as much about the company as possible. It'll show that you've taken an interest. Try to find out the companies goals, what they aim for and what they stand for.

Someone who shows willingness to train so that in the future I can maybe promote them rather then have to advertise a position in the future. This also shows that you want a future with the company in question and that you wont jump ship too soon.

Eye contact, while not always looking at you with creepiness that'll make your blood cold I really don't like it when people are always looking away. Shows lack of confidence to me and kinda makes them look unfriendly too.

Try and come up with some kind of story (made up or true) which shows how you turned a bad situation around, doesn't have to be about work it could be about school or just life in general. The interviewer will be looking to how you handle stressful situations and a story like this could help.

You'll be working with customers so you'll need to explain what you expect from someone serving you. You'll need to know how to handle awkward customers in tactful ways. Most of what they look for in customer service could be on their website if they have one.

You'll be asked "why did you apply for the position?". In your case you could say that you have been to the cinema many times before and you fount that the people are freindly and that is what you look for in an working environment. Also it sounds like you'll be doing many things, so you could also say that you're looking for a job that has variety and that this position looks to have what you want. Show enthusiasm for what you'll be required to do and don't make them think that any part of the job isn't what you want to do.

As for beating nerves, just convince yourself that this job isn't the be all and end all. Its only one job and there are many more out there. Pretty much worked for me in the past and it also helps with any rejection if that happens.

Hope it helps you, good luck.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
I've given a lot of interviews this year and this is what I look for:

Someone who shows that they have taken the time to get to know as much about the company as possible. It'll show that you've taken an interest. Try to find out the companies goals, what they aim for and what they stand for.

Someone who shows willingness to train so that in the future I can maybe promote them rather then have to advertise a position in the future. This also shows that you want a future with the company in question and that you wont jump ship too soon.

Eye contact, while not always looking at you with creepiness that'll make your blood cold I really don't like it when people are always looking away. Shows lack of confidence to me and kinda makes them look unfriendly too.

Try and come up with some kind of story (made up or true) which shows how you turned a bad situation around, doesn't have to be about work it could be about school or just life in general. The interviewer will be looking to how you handle stressful situations and a story like this could help.

You'll be working with customers so you'll need to explain what you expect from someone serving you. You'll need to know how to handle awkward customers in tactful ways. Most of what they look for in customer service could be on their website if they have one.

You'll be asked "why did you apply for the position?". In your case you could say that you have been to the cinema many times before and you fount that the people are freindly and that is what you look for in an working environment. Also it sounds like you'll be doing many things, so you could also say that you're looking for a job that has variety and that this position looks to have what you want. Show enthusiasm for what you'll be required to do and don't make them think that any part of the job isn't what you want to do.

As for beating nerves, just convince yourself that this job isn't the be all and end all. Its only one job and there are many more out there. Pretty much worked for me in the past and it also helps with any rejection if that happens.

Hope it helps you, good luck.

Who knew our very own Hadrain was so high up the corporate ladder?
laugh.gif

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks Hadrian and TrolleyDave
There both rather helpful, Especially some of the point you mentioned Hadrian, Eye contact isnt something im good out, maybe ill look at there nose XD, But ill work on that!
And this here:
QUOTE said:

Is VERY helpful, i was looking for a solid reason and you just gave it!

Thanks Raika also XD

MUCH THANKS,
~Jordan (Outgum)

falcon64z8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Think about your strengths and weaknesses because thats what they always ask and why do you want to work here. Be confident and smile, but don't have a crazy grin on all the time. Have great posture and joke every now and then. Keep eye contact and yea dress nice, no jeans or t-shirts and from your wardrobe it seem you have too much black on. Get a lighter dress shirt on and the whole ADHD thing, just try really hard to listen.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
ill post up my "Wardrobe" XD

EDIT:
This is being my Wardrobe.

Picture0033.jpg

Picture0035.jpg

Picture0036.jpg

Sorry about the bad angles.
The whites lines on the shirt, you cant really see unless its in person, blame my webcam, But i feel it breaks up the black

EDIT:
Lol, i have a chubby face

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know what a till is but...where are you from? Does anyone even call the register a till anymore?

Anyway, since the position requires you to deal with customers they will want you to have good customer service attitude. People can be jerks, customers are people, some of them are likely to be a$$wipes, they'll want to know you can maintain your cool and not get upset.

Also, you'll have to work on being really efficient because it can get busy in theatres so multitasking efficiency is probably a must.

Make sure you have GOOD hygiene when you are working with food. I know that you probably know that, but it cant be emphasized enough with all the illnesses going around. If they asked you to say how you'd prepare any food stuff, be sure and say :Well, I would WASH and dry MY HANDS, then....blah, blah, blah...

They might ask why you want to work there so have a good reason that doesn't sound too kiss-assish, if that makes any sense. Also, dont drink any coffee/energy drinks before 20 hrs before you go. The only thing worse than having to pee during something important is being hyper. If you're already hyper than fidgeting cause you have to pee will only make you look worse. Plus...you dont want to pee on yourself during a job interview.

Make sure you eat like 3 hrs before going and chew gum so that your breath is fresh, DONT GO into the interview with gum...swallow it if you must but much better to spit it out and sip water from a fountain right before going in.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
They might ask why you want to work there so have a good reason that doesn't sound too kiss-assish, if that makes any sense. Also, dont drink any coffee/energy drinks before 20 hrs before you go. The only thing worse than having to pee during something important is being hyper. If you're already hyper than fidgeting cause you have to pee will only make you look worse. Plus...you dont want to pee on yourself during a job interview.

Lol.

Thanks for that
happy.gif

Gums a good idea, and no energy drinks!
Ill have to work on dealing with faggot customers lol, cause i get all smart ass and hearty rebel lol

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I found out to be good:
Make good Eye contact, you really need to stress this! As Hadrian has explained, it shows an active interest in the conversation, and shows you're confident too. Since you will be preparing the popcorn, refreshments, etc. you must promote good hand washing techniques. I work at the local Wendys here in Texas (a fast food franchise), and I am required by law to wash my hands twice every time I wash my hands. The customers can be complete asstards (they also leave shitloads of stuff on the tables), and it isn't hard to get mad at them for being complete dipshits. My experience says, don't get mad, as they only will be there for a short time, and don't let them ruin your whole day (just keep smiling, and maybe get just a bit more firm with them). I never let a customer leave completely angry, and I always try to get permission from my manager to please an angry customer (with a small drink or something
wink.gif
). I am also applying at the local Movie Theater (I have been following up several times every two weeks.), and now that I have been through two job interviews I know I can get a job out of an interview, and I know you can too.
smile.gif

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:

I wish I heard that before I went to an interview a couple weeks ago. I got the interview and thought I did good, then a kid from my school got an interview and a second interview within 2 days. I also called twice and they said they would call me back and never did. So I more or less gave up.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
@Sterl500
I love this small little part you typed
QUOTE said:
and it isn't hard to get mad at them for being complete dipshits.
Lol, But your post was helpful! So ive established DEFINATLY eye contact, and a GOOD "Why do i want to work here?" Answer, which is SWEET!

And im sorry NeSchn DX
Like others have said already? It's not the only job and there will always be others?
Chin up! and go apply more >=O

Btw guys, My interview is tomorrow!

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
outgum said:
And im sorry NeSchn DX
Like others have said already? It's not the only job and there will always be others?
Chin up! and go apply more >=O

Btw guys, My interview is tomorrow!

Yeah, thats what I am going to do, I need a job really really bad XD

Tell us how your interview goes =D Try not to get to nervous

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I hope this bump doesnt result in a warn as well... it is a bump with a good intention XD

I just got home from my interview and im quite keen to announce that it went quite well!
I saw a few of the people who where interviewed and i must say i was the best dressed (Actually formal)
The Interviewer did ask me any questions really but more or less informed me of what the employees do.
She explained why they do it and stuff like that.

She talked about another company buying then so they are under new contract which opened up MY question to ask her.
I noticed that they had changed there whole website and asked if this was due to the new owners.
And she happily answered and i gave them feedback on the improvements of it.

Im rather proud of my self as i didnt fidget or move my legs AND i managed to keep eye contact which i find difficult XD
She told me about shift hours, What ive been doing recently, What wages i would get. It was like she was talking like i had the job already!
No questions like why do you want this job etc.
She cracked a few jokes so i cracked a few back and it was a nice atomsphere no pressure or anything.
She checked out my CV, Which ill happily post up if anyone is interested?
and i filled out some yes, no answers.
Shook hands and said thanks
Oh i also turned up early which was good!

So overall i think it went quite well and i get to know if i get the job on Thursday Night, Friday Morning (Btw Thurday my time is Wednesday in USA)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0