Hacking Jig/Dongle still necessary?

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I've been looking for a brand new unpatched switch for weeks now and finally found one. The problem is that the seller has two options, to buy only the unit itself or with a dongle/jig. I've read several articles but others say that it is needed while others say it's not. So, what's true? Thank you

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've been looking for a brand new unpatched switch for weeks now and finally found one. The problem is that the seller has two options, to buy only the unit itself or with a dongle/jig. I've read several articles but others say that it is needed while others say it's not. So, what's true? Thank you
It's still needed but theoretically only once to active AutoRCM. At least for the jig.
The dongle is always needed. On the other hand you can use a PC or Smartphone instead of a dongle when you have the specific cable (like the one that comes with the Pro Controller).

Edit: Forgot to mention: According to a few people a paperclip does the jig job as well.

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Can I post links here? The one that gave me a good read is a switch hacking guide from reddit made by a user named chaos_a. According to that, jigs are needed. However, I've read somewhere that it is no longer needed using AutoRCM

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's still needed but theoretically only once to active AutoRCM. At least for the jig.
The dongle is always needed. On the other hand you can use a PC or Smartphone instead of a dongle when you have the specific cable (like the one that comes with the Pro Controller).

Edit: Forgot to mention: According to a few people a paperclip does the jig job as well.
Thank you! I see, so they are optional then. Guess I'll have to buy the dongle since I dont know what specific cable is that.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can I post links here? The one that gave me a good read is a switch hacking guide from reddit made by a user named chaos_a. According to that, jigs are needed. However, I've read somewhere that it is no longer needed using AutoRCM

Thank you! I see, so they are optional then. Guess I'll have to buy the dongle since I dont know what specific cable is that.
Just a usual USB-C-to-A cable. Comes with most smartphones nowadays too. :)

Reactions: AshenWolf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The most important questions for me are what dongle/jig and how much is he asking.

If it's cheap and it's a good one then I'd get it, if it's rubbish (some can't have their payload updated) or he's trying to make a profit from selling it then I'd pass and buy my own.

However, I've read somewhere that it is no longer needed using AutoRCM

You need to get into RCM to enable AutoRCM. You don't need a jig to get into RCM in the first place, you can start jabbing metal things into the side of your switch like a crazed lunatic. I used a jig, mainly because it came with the dongle but also because I didn't want to damage the switch.

Last edited by smf,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be aware that when you enable AutoRCM.. You will have a battery drained fast if your Switch was turn off. Don't turn it off. It won't drained much if you put Switch to sleep mode.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you need to do to avoid this is reboot to hekate and power down from there. Takes 10 seconds.

Beware of burning fuses. If you are already update to 6.2 without ChoiNX then you have nothing to worry about. If you already update previous FW to 6.2 with ChoiNX then I suggest you to downgrade to previous FW with ChoiNX before you do this.

AshenWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just a usual USB-C-to-A cable. Comes with most smartphones nowadays too. :)
That's nice to know. Thank you!

The most important questions for me are what dongle/jig and how much is he asking.

If it's cheap and it's a good one then I'd get it, if it's rubbish (some can't have their payload updated) or he's trying to make a profit from selling it then I'd pass and buy my own.

You need to get into RCM to enable AutoRCM. You don't need a jig to get into RCM in the first place, you can start jabbing metal things into the side of your switch like a crazed lunatic. I used a jig, mainly because it came with the dongle but also because I didn't want to damage the switch.
He says its a brand new R4 dongle. Didnt know I need to use RCM first to enable AutoRCM. Thank you!

Beware of burning fuses. If you are already update to 6.2 without ChoiNX then you have nothing to worry about. If you already update previous FW to 6.2 with ChoiNX then I suggest you to downgrade to previous FW with ChoiNX before you do this.
He is selling it with games of my choice installed so I guess it's safe?

So to avoid paying $10 for a dongle, I need to buy a new smartphone for $600?

I don't have a single USB-C-to-A cable.
You can buy a USB-C to A cable for 6$

just get a dongle, way easier
Yeah, I think I'll buy one just to excuse myself from the hassle. Just concerned if just a month or two, a new version will be released requiring no dongle at all.

All you need to do to avoid this is reboot to hekate and power down from there. Takes 10 seconds.
Nice thing to know

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can buy a USB-C to A cable for 6$

I'm sure you can. It was the assumption that everyone had one with their new phone.

Yeah, I think I'll buy one just to excuse myself from the hassle. Just concerned if just a month or two, a new version will be released requiring no dongle at all.

I think you're safe for a while & even when the software exploits are released, the dongle may still be more convenient. At least one was a web exploit, so you would need to be connected to a special hot spot to run it away from home.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just concerned if just a month or two, a new version will be released requiring no dongle at all.
The dongle (or another way to send payloads like the USB cable) will always* be needed.

* only exceptions:
  1. SciresM does really find the coldboothax he was talking about, however that would only work up to 3.0.0 (or at least 4.1.0) so a FW downgrade is necessary
  2. Someone finds a new coldboothax
  3. You use an internal modchip

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill