smile.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apex said:
Genesis roms aren't that big anyways; I think JenesisDS only supports up to 4MB ones as it is.
Actually it supports up to 3 megabytes not 4. The DS itself has only 4MB of ram. The emulator itself takes up 1MB and it can load games up to 3MB. Lordus said getting the 4MB+ games to load is a priority for JenesisDS 0.8. He says he can do it easily enough, but he hasn't gotten to it yet due to other more important parts.

Benandanti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If the 4+ MB barrier can be broken, would it be possible to emulate Sega CD games at a later date or is the hardware too different. (I'd expect Sega CD emulation would need a lot more RAM than the Genesis would at any rate.)

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Sega CD is faster and has other enhancements. The system seems to have similar specs to the NeoGeo and THAT was emulated. The music would be tough to deal with though.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SegaCD games would actually probably need less RAM to emulate, as the games had to keep the working data set in the SegaCD's 768KB of main RAM. The main problem would be the second MC68000 running at a higher clock speed than the Genesis' CPU, and the extra graphics and sound hardware.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the secondary CPU run alongside the Genesis CPU or does it disable the other one? The Sega CD SPU looks to run at a similar clock rate as the NeoGeo. Could a high-level emulator handle it like NeoDS? I'm not trying to be an irrational noob like those who think N64 can run on DS. I'm just curious. 32x I know to be impossible.

Lordus_

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
granville said:
The Sega CD is faster and has other enhancements. The system seems to have similar specs to the NeoGeo and THAT was emulated. The music would be tough to deal with though.

Where does it have similar specs? First, it doesn't really take more to emulate the NeoGeo, than the Genesis. Second, the SegaCD has higher specs than the NeoGeo+Genesis combined. Especially the extra video hardware and syncing all CPUs is not for free, really.

QUOTE(granville @ Jul 22 2008, 11:39 AM) Does the secondary CPU run alongside the Genesis CPU or does it disable the other one? The Sega CD SPU looks to run at a similar clock rate as the NeoGeo. Could a high-level emulator handle it like NeoDS? I'm not trying to be an irrational noob like those who think N64 can run on DS. I'm just curious. 32x I know to be impossible.

The CPUs run in parallel. The second CPU in the SegaCD is mainly responsible for controlling the CD-Rom, the extra scaling and rotation hardware and doing extra processing for the main CPU in the Genesis.
Besides all those things, you have to emulate the CD-Controller, handle the streaming from the CD-image and the additional sound stuff.

To make it short: It's no problem at all. Just wait until i make it work..

Reactions: wariobar

evoo1

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Australia
granville said:
Sonic CD, Lunar and Lunar 2 right? There's decent games here and there. Sonic CD is just spectacular!

Well it had several really good ShootEmUps but also Shining Force CD was pretty awesome. Still coding a Sega CD DS emu would be a waste of time, theoretically of course^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...