Japanese Wii - can't access setup screen

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by scoobydoo1, Dec 30, 2010.

Dec 30, 2010
  1. scoobydoo1
    OP

Newcomer scoobydoo1 Member

United States
    A friend has a Japanese Wii. I tried to go into the settings to look around, as soon as I clicked on where it would normally take you to the Wii setup menu, I get an English message saying it couldn't access a certain URL (I forgot what the URL was). Can't do anything else other than to back out.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any chance to mod this Japanese version to USA?

Thanks for any info on this.

2. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Is the normal wii menu also english, then it's a region changed wii, but the region is not changed correctly...
    It's possible to change everything again with anyregionchanger, but I never tried it because if you are doing it wrong you can brick the wii!

3. scoobydoo1
    OP

United States
    Everything is in Japanese. It is definitely a Japanese unit because the label on the bottom of the Wii is in Japanese.

The people who own this Wii have absolutely no clue about this stuff (or most anything computer/tech related). They almost completely rely on others for buying this stuff. This Japanese Wii was purchased in China from a relative who was visiting (don't ask me why [​IMG] ) They got ripped off AGAIN after someone else bought a pair of Nintendo DS from China that turned out to be knockoffs, I felt something was "off" as soon as I touched it. I'm like their hero when it comes to this stuff, so I felt utterly useless after my failed feeble attempt to even access the setup menu LOL.

Thanks for the anyregionchanger tip, I'll readup more on that. Any other pointers?

4. scoobydoo1
    OP

United States
    Hey fix94, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. So this is known as semi-brick, now I just gotta find the ISO image to get it fixed for them, then I'll softmod it and use the region changer.

I"m a total noob in softmodding, been hiding behind the wiikey to avoid softmods [​IMG]

5. Yeah, this is a common error. It happened to my Japanese Wii when I switched it to english, it was only halfway down right because it was just kinda freaking out. o_o

6. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    look at the setting.txt. it sounds like that has incorrect values