Jack Thompson Is A Douche

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hadrian, Apr 19, 2007.

Apr 19, 2007

Jack Thompson Is A Douche by Hadrian at 5:57 PM (1,666 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    From CVG:
    "Jack Thompson has given a TV interview in the US where he points the finger of blame at the hugely popular online tactical shooter, Counter-Strike, and that the game helped train Cho Seung-Hui to kill 33 fellow students in Virginia.

Thompson begins the interview with MSNBC by quoting the Washington Post as reporting that Hui's associates and colleagues said he was "immersed incredibly" in the game Counter-Strike.

He then says Cho Seung-Hui was "able to go from room to room very calmly, efficiently, coolly killing people".

According to Thompson he was able to do this because he had trained on Counter-Strike. But rather than another TV station giving the US lawyer five minutes to throw his unproven theories and ideas into the world, MSNBC presenter picks him up on almost everything he says."

Theres a clip of the interview here.

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    New reports say that Cho Seung-Hui wasn't a gamer and they found no games in this possesion.

3. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    and jack thompson is under police investigation for making these allegations because he either knew the killer and his motivations personally, or he's citing false evidence

4. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    This is the interview where Chris Matthews asks for proof. Thompson can only offer up that his HS friends said they played CS, but that was 4-5 years ago. Also, Matthews corners Thompson by saying that he's trying to impose certain aspects of other cases to this one... Also Thompson cites Super Columbine Massacre RPG as a "trainer" game.

He forgot that SCMRPG was made "for him" in response to his Modest Proposal and it's not any good as a trainer.

5. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I don't care that he doesn't like games, he doesn't have to and if it's his opinion that they should be banned or severely regulated, fine. That's his opinion and he's entitled to it. But when he uses the death of 32 innocent people to further your own ambitions, that really boils my blood. This man is a real piece of work and is not only disgracing those that have died by suggesting their death is the cause of Video Games but also for fueling the media frenzy which is full of fabrications and flat out lies.

6. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Saying stuff about video games makes people killers is one thing, we're use to it but what I object to is this arsehead using this tradegy just so he can get himself on TV.

I hope he goes to safari one day and gets gang raped by a herd of elephants who like to fist first.

7. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    heh I see a lot of people bashing jack thompson but fact of the matter is, the gaming industry basically ignores him anyway so he's kind of wasting his time. if this guy wasn't around I'm sure nobody else would bother.

8. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    lmao, i nearly wet myself with laughter. [​IMG]

9. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Even Counter-Strike isn't a "training" video-game. You don't actually learn how to aim, shoot, and reload a real gun. There's no way to relate clicking the mouse or pressing "r" to shooting and reloading a real gun. Also, I mean, I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say that this Cho guy was 'incredibly fucking insane and thought he was Jesus Christ'.

Surely there aren't many games out there where the plot is:

It's 2007, you are Christ incarnate.

Rich frat boys run rampant in a society of stuck up snobs. They call you names. You're tired of writing insane screenplays about your insane views and you're ready for the next level.

Christ, back with a vengance.

Over 32 innocent students, ready to have their brains blasted all over the wall.
    Move from room to room very calmly, efficiently, coolly killing people: those rich frat scum will think twice next time they call you a 'loner'.

Martyr: The Second Coming

10. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Would you say that he is, in a sense, promoting the gaming industry? I mean, when I heard about the "Super Columbine Massacre RPG" controversy, it certainly got my attention. I mean people are inclined to look when they're told not to, right?

11. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    he deserves the bashing, he's called gamers pedophiles, rapists and murderers

12. Akoji

Member Akoji +5 internets to psyfira for avatar.

Canada
    Well he's a jerk everybody know's that.

But well... than after been CAL-I i should be more trained that any marines on this planet. Watch out , Snake is a n00b compared to me with my 4 year training of Counter Strike.

13. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    These people want to get facts before they start to accuse computer games for making people violent. There sure is a lot of counter strike players out there. Lets get rid of counter strike and maybe there wont be any more violence in the world(yeah right). Another point films are far more violent than games.

14. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Oh yeah, that devilish Sims 2.
    We should ignore him, just as the crazy person that he is.

15. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    Pff, CS is a frantic frag fest, not a calm walk room to room

16. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Jacko the Ignorant has been known to blurt out such random verbal diarrhea at every opportunity, but this is just crap, even for his standards.

Does this mean that if he had played Unreal Tournament, he would have jumped 50 feet in the air? If he had played Serious Sam, he would have used bomb-carrying parrots? If he had played Worms, he would have sat on a barrel of fuel, and lit a stick of dynamite (because Worms teach us that while winning is good, random extreme destruction is more memorable).

Professional soldiers say that handling real weapons in combat situations never leave you "calm" or "cool", and it's only a matter of ignoring the panic to a greater or lesser extent. No videogame can train you for that, real life training can't get you ready for that. Having been in similar situations can't train you for it. Yet playing one videogame was enough for Cho. Or maybe he was just crazy.

No matter how many games you've played, how long and how well, no matter how confused you are, you can distinguish between a game and reality as soon as you turn off the computer. If you can't, you're a fucking psycho in the first place, and should be locked away.

Jack Thompson is an ignorant fanatic, oblivious of his own ignorance, aggressively refusing to learn anything on the subject; he sounds like a latent homosexual who doesn't want to try out, because he might find out he likes it.

There's a well known psychological defense mechanism, called projection, where you attribute others with your own flaws. Jack Thompson is accusing others of being inbred, stupid, paedofiliac criminals who can't distinguish between a set of pixels and real life. What does that tell us about dear ol' Jack?

17. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    somewhat but the only thing he'd probably agree with me on is that making too many violent games puts out too many crappy products. look at all the GTA clones that came about, most of them are pure garbage and only a few shine. and having this jack thompson guy around seems to promote generating crap games. if he wasn't around, maybe there'd be more focus on better products then lol, with plenty of violence anyway.

18. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    His campaign makes no sense anyway. From a completely neutral standpoint (games may or may not desensitise people causing them to commit gun crimes) it'd make far more sense for him to campaign for a ban on owning guns, or tighter gun controls. Both of those things would reduce the amount of crimes committed far more than just banning one source of the ideas will.

It's like trying to stop global warming by saying everyone should remember to turn off lights when they leave a room, but ignoring all the other causes (factory chimneys, electric cars, etc). It'll makes a difference, but it's so small that it's barely worth it. It's just an ego boost for the guy who made it happen.

(edit: electric cars being a good solution, not a cause. Lol at the dumb [​IMG])

19. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I bet they'll find some obscure shit games like Quake 1 or Doom 2 in Cho's room and start blaming the industry again. Why do the murders always play unrealistic games that are so ancient that nobody gives a damn about them any more? I never thought doom looked real at all.

Btw isn't jack thompson that guy who sent a crude message to someone high up in the government staff..ah i'm so not into politics I forgot what her name was, some ugly broad.. that just ruined all sense of credibility in the guy right there. If people like this want to make a point, they shouldn't flame people that are on their side, it makes them look undereducated.

20. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Has anyone ever used the arguement against him when he says violent games encourages people to kill and say that games like Harvest Moon encourages people to farm or Guitar Hero makes people play a guitar?

I love it when the media is proved wrong like the time a boy was killed because the murderer played Manhunt but in a twist, it turns out the game belonged to the VICTIM and not the person doing the killing. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Anyways, seeing the videos and pictures of Cho really makes me wonder if he's just one big attention whore who took it to the extreme.