I've got a question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RyDog, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RyDog
    OP

RyDog Lazy Animal Crossing hacker

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    On Craig's list around my area, this guy is doing downgrades for $20 if your 3DS is 5.0-9.2. He's obviously using gateway.dg and gateway's Launcher.dat, which is free software right? Isn't there a copyright on this software that you can't resell it or something? Is what he's doing illegal because I know for a fact it WAS illegal to sell HBC for the wii, but is his crimes punishable, or just a pesky little scam for him to make a quick $20 for barely breaking a sweat?

2. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    He very likely could get in trouble for doing this, however discussion of US specific law isn't really the focus of this forum.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Seems silly because you wouldn't even want to downgrade. More people would want to UPgrade in order to take advantage of autobooting.

Tomato Hentai and Ammako like this.
  4. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    Sorry I'm a little bit of a newbie but talking about US law on a piece of software that allows piracy is a little hypocritical. :rofl2:

5. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    That piece of software in and of itself actually -DOESN'T- allow piracy. One would need to have the gateway cart to go with it, or go through the steps of setting up cfw for piracy to be possible.

6. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    You don't need the physical card for piracy. The launcher can be launched whether you have it or not. The launcher, itself is needed to create an emuNAND for cfw, and CFW allows piracy. Unless there's a way to create emuNAND without gateway, gateway is a priority for piracy.
    EDIT: also wanted to point out the definition of gateway: a means of access or entry to a place. This means that gateway is the gateway for piracy :ha:. Anyways, I'm heading off. I've flagged his Craig's list post and I'll let the admin of Craig's list deal with him. So good day/night sir.

Last edited by RyDog, Nov 24, 2015
  7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    "The launcher, itself is needed to create an emuNAND for cfw, and CFW allows piracy."

While you are right in this statement you are missing the big elephant on the picture.

Emulators allow piracy and you could have 1000 emulators but if you don't have a single rom, there is nothing illegal in having the emulators even if the main use for them is piracy.

Hayleia and Quantumcat like this.
  8. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Illegal to sell? Yes.
    Doing it as a service? No.

If someone is willing to pay $20 for some of his time, more power to them. Some people can't be hassled to read forums or will run into something like buying a N3DS without OOT/CN and would pay for someone to do it for them. (similar to downgrading a PS3 without owning a flasher)

The mostly illegal thing is the people on CL who post "DOWNGRADE PS3 TO 3.55 AND 200 GAMES"

9. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    He is selling a service like someone selling modchip install service totaly legit

10. Misledz

Misledz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 3, 2015
    Hookers are illegal but their services are legit. I guess the same logic applies.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. RichHomieSupreme

RichHomieSupreme GBAtemp Regular

Jun 24, 2015
    United States
    Is it really illegal to provide a service of downgrading for people who are stupid enough to pay him? I mean there are tutorials online especially on this site for downgrading if you're on those firmwares right?

12. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    They aren't re-selling any of GW's stuff, they're just providing a service.
    If it was illegal to provide such a service, then it would be illegal for tech stores to sell a service for setting up your computer for you when you buy it.

Tony_93 likes this.
  13. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Yea ther just a bunch of idiots to think otherwize