It's 2013, can uLoader still boot DVD backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Frigem, Apr 9, 2013.

Apr 9, 2013
  1. Frigem
    OP

Newcomer Frigem Member

Argentina
    It's 2013, can uLoader still boot DVD backups is my question.

Back in the day, I made a lot of backup copies of my Wii games when the modded Wiis were still able to play backup discs.

Right now, I've stumbled across uLoader, a backup loader app that can use external DVD drives as input to play on the Wii. And here, the Complete (Wii) Softmod Guide, it says the following about D3-2 drives:

Code:
    https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/about/d3-2

People with this drive will never be able to play burned backup discs with that drive. If you still need to play your backups, but have one of these drives, you must use an USB loader (since they are not affected by the drive) or replace your drive by another one. You can also use Hermes' uLoader and load discs from an external DVD drive.
    Now it's 2013; can I still boot newer DVD games like WWE '13 onto the external DVD drive when I am using uLoader? For that matter, can I even rip copied DVD games from the external DVD drive to the external hard drive? I'm dying to know.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If you want to play DVD backups, it's required that you're using an older DVD drive. If you're using a newer DVD drive, you cannot run DVD backups of any kind, period.

If you have an older DVD drive, you can use newer applications like NeoGamma in combination with a cIOS to load backup DVDs. However, USB-loading is the new preferred way of loading backups.

3. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    programs don't just lose abilities over time so yes it still works; can you rip it to a hard drive from there i don't know.

4. Frigem
    OP

Newcomer Frigem Member

Argentina
    Lacius vs. jefffisher

Who's right? Who's wrong?

Guess I'll just ask around some more. :)

But in case Lacius is right, I would hope that Completeg (https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/) updates the information in that page. Wasn't meant as an offence, just a heads up.

5. GamerzHell9137

Member GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I use USBLoader GX.
    It can play games from disk and from USB but its way better to play from USB.
    Reasons:
    1.Faster loading time
    2.Don't need any DVDs
    3.Less space

6. ShinyLatios

Member ShinyLatios Local "That Guy"

Netherlands
    Newer wiis can't, older wiis can. case closed everyone.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. Frigem
    OP

Newcomer Frigem Member

Argentina
    OK, didn't mean to start a flaming war, so put your WMDs away.

I do admit though that I prefer using my backup discs that I made. Guess I can't do that now.

EDIT: So the softmod guide about D3-2 drives (from https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/about/d3-2) is outdated or incorrect?

8. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    guys he is asking about playing from an external dvd drive not the wii's built in drive, yes it is possible.

9. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Jefffisher is right. (What Lacius is saying is true, too, but he just misunderstood the question.)

uLoader is the only backup loader that can run Wii games from an external, USB, DVD reader and for that as long as your USB ports aren't broken you can do with ANY Wii no matter how old or new it is. (vWii in Wii U won't work because uLoader needs a Hermes cIOS and those haven't been updated to work with vIOS)

For running DVD-R games from INSIDE the Wii, yes, only older Wii consoles can read those disks.

10. snikerz

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    Not the Wii mini.

11. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    LOL, okay. I guess I should have added to that "as long as your Wii is hacked"

12. Frigem
    OP

Newcomer Frigem Member

Argentina
    I admit my fault, I should have been more clear. My apologies.