Hacking Issues with USB Loaders

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I've hacked a Wii before with no issues so I know my way around a wii (IOS' and such). I recently got a new wii (2008) for a friend and I'm trying to mod it to play games off a USB and for whatever reason no USB loaders will load. CFG loader gets stuck at AUTO, WiiFlow won't detect my USB and USB GX gets stuck on initializing USB. I have a feeling it's my USB (NTFS) so I'm wondering what would be the best way to format it. I have used modmii to update EVERYTHING but if you really need a syscheck I'll post it. Thanks!

D

Deleted User

I'm only familiar with USB Loader GX, so I can assist you with that.
It sounds like one of two things:

1) Missing/bad cIOSs. (Usually cIOS249, cIOS250, or cIOS236 etc.)
2) Perhaps format your USB to the WBFS format using WBFS Manager, transfer Wii and GC ISOs onto there, and then try that?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
formating to WBFS will be bad for two reasons
1. this is outdated and easilly corruptible format
2. It's Wii games ISO only, Gamecube games can't be transfered to WBFS.

what you can try :
- Launch USBGX without the drive connected, when you see the countdown plug the drive.
If it works, it's an initialization issue. the loader is not auto-spinning the HDD when needed.

- Try with other homebrew, like the homebrew channel (put homebrew in /apps/ folder and set HBC to load from USB), wiixplorer, emulators, etc.

- If HBC works : Try loading USBLoaderGX without the drive, then go to settings>loader settings>Loader's IOS : 58.
exit to hbc, connect the hdd and boot USBGX again. It will use IOS58 to mount the USB.

If it works, try booting a game. If booting the game fails, it's most probably because your current cIOS version is not compatible with that USB device (drive or enclosure)

if it doesn't work with IOS58, but works with other homebrew, there's another issue. we will have to check your partition table, etc.

D

Deleted User

formating to WBFS will be bad for two reasons
1. this is outdated and easilly corruptible format
2. It's Wii games ISO only, Gamecube games can't be transfered to WBFS.
Hmm... well I had the same trouble as the OP, but I formatted to WBFS, and my Wii games worked again. (Like you say, obviously not GC games.)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
then, it's not a HDD detection issue but a partition issue.
it could (or should) be fixed by verifying the partition table, maybe there's a hidden partition. A lot of new HDD comes with a hidden encrypted partition. you need to delete it.

Reactions: Deleted User

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then, it's not a HDD detection issue but a partition issue.
it could (or should) be fixed by verifying the partition table, maybe there's a hidden partition. A lot of new HDD comes with a hidden encrypted partition. you need to delete it.
It's not a HDD it's a 32 GB USB (Sandisk). What would be the best thing to format it with? Also one other issue I'm having is that if I eject my SD or USB while in the homebrew menu I have to restart it to recognize a SD or USB again. (Homebrew Menu 1.1.2)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
a flashdrive ? they have issues with the Wii.
External Hard Drives are working better.

But that's strange that it stop working from HBC too. Even for the SD card.
HBC is designed to be able to eject/remount SD on the fly. there's even a "bubble popping" animation when doing that because it's detecting the insertion/ejection process.

Do you have other devices to test with?
Other USB drive? even an USB to SD card adapter if you really don't have other usb HDD.

Is your HBC using IOS58?
press Home and check the used IOS in the top right corner.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a flashdrive ? they have issues with the Wii. External Hard Drives are working better.
I have a few HDD's but I only have one adapter and it's being used for other things and is a pain to move. Also this USB has worked before but I have reformatted it several times.
But that's strange that it stop working from HBC too. Even for the SD card.
HBC is designed to be able to eject/remount SD on the fly. there's even a "bubble popping" animation when doing that because it's detecting the insertion/ejection process.
I know which is why I was surprised it didn't do so.
Do you have other devices to test with?
Other USB drive? even an USB to SD card adapter if you really don't have other usb HDD.
I do have another usb or two I could try.
Is your HBC using IOS58?
press Home and check the used IOS in the top right corner.
I'm using IOS58

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ah, you used the same drive for your previous hacks and it was fine?

There's two things to take in account : the drive used to worked, and HBC doesn't let you replug devices (even SD).
the issue could be the device detection, not the drive itself.
do you have access to another console to test it with the same flashdrive?

if you don't, try a different partition format (FAT32, or even like suggested by voxel, the wbfs partition format)

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, you used the same drive for your previous hacks and it was fine?

There's two things to take in account : the drive used to worked, and HBC doesn't let you replug devices (even SD).
the issue could be the device detection, not the drive itself.
do you have access to another console to test it with the same flashdrive?

if you don't, try a different partition format (FAT32, or even like suggested by voxel, the wbfs partition format)
Yeah I have another Wii, I'll try it when I get home and post my results.

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so I decided to just use a HDD and it recognizes it but now my game won't show up. File path is USB2:/wbfs/RSBE01.iso, is that correct?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USB2:/wbfs/RSBE01.iso

This should work.
but it's not the preferred folder's layout. the default filename is this one :
/wbfs/Game title [GameID]/GameID.iso

USB2:/wbfs/Super Smash Bros Wii [RSBE01]/RSBE01.iso
this is used for both reading the game's title to display in the interface, and to get the TitleID for the cover download. It's also easier for you to manage your drive when you know which game are installed instead of a list of TitleID in the same folder.

I see you are using usb2:/
so it means you have at least 2 partitions on your drive, be sure to select the proper partition to display :
Settings > hdd settings > click on the first option to cycle through the partitions to use as default. (this is also the partition used when dumping a disc)

Below are two more option :
use subfolders : if enabled, it will dump games to subfolders (wbfs/subfolder/TitleID.wbfs)instead of /wbfs/TitleID.wbfs
you can also set the default naming convention for the subfolder : by default it's "Title [ID]"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.