Issues Booting from Restored NAND

Vorde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After not touching or updating my Switch for almost 2 years, I decided to update it and start fresh.
When updating to newer versions of OFW I used ChoiDujourNX to install any updates to avoid burning any fuses.
My original SysNANDBackup is from the end of Dec 2017 and was a snapshot of what my Switch was at the time so if I ever wanted to go back I could easily do so.
I had my Switch working without issues on a CFW and I had EmuNAND working off of a partitioned SD card (as you do) running 9.2.0
I backed up this configuration just incase something went wrong, and I needed a way back.
Upon restoring my old partitions and BOOT1 and BOOT2 it wouldn't boot, no logo or anything, just black screen.
Rebooted into RCM
This time I tried restoring my raw NAND backup instead incase I had missed something.
Same result, black screen, no logo etc.
Now I'm having troubles booting into RCM (which shouldn't be a thing as I believe it happens before anything else on the console always allowing you to get back in).
Am I just making a mistake with the way I'm booting into RCM or is it fully bricked?
What options do I have available at this time? I've been out of the scene for almost 2 years at this point, any info would be appreciated, thank you!

UPDATE: Able to boot into RCM and was able to load OFW from SysNAND when using Hekate + Tesla Boot Menu.
Immediately pops up telling me I have used this SD Card in a different Switch and to remove or Delete it.
Running System 5.1.0.
Is there a way to find out why I need RCM to boot OFW at this point?

Last edited by Vorde,

Nagaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should use Daybreak instead of choidujourNX it cause a lot of problem

Even if your nand is brick you can boot to hekate, try to format your SD card put latest ams and hekate (here) restore your nand backup and try to boot on ams (sysnand) if it boot, download latest switch firmware <don't like there please> and update it with daybreak

Last edited by linuxares,

Vorde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Even if your nand is brick you can boot to hekate, try to format your SD card put latest ams and hekate (here) restore your nand backup and try to boot on ams (sysnand) if it boot, download latest switch firmware <don't like there please> and update it with daybreak
Daybreak did not exist when I was needing to update without burning fuses etc.
Thanks for the instructions, I'll go through them and try that on my end

Last edited by linuxares,

Vorde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It should work fine if you didn't burn any fuse and if boot0/boot1 match with the rawnand backup.
Yeah, it was all together in a 7z file I had on a drive, but after it's all been restored it just boots to a black screen. I suppose I must have burned a fuse so idk if there's anyway I can go and update the console using official methods

Vorde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Even if your nand is brick you can boot to hekate, try to format your SD card put latest ams and hekate (here) restore your nand backup and try to boot on ams (sysnand) if it boot, download latest switch firmware here and update it with daybreak
When attempting to boot using your instructions, I've gotten to the point where I restored the NAND and formatted my SD card with the newest AMS and Hekate, but when it tries to boot up to the CFW I get "A fatal error occurred when running Fusee. Failed to mount SD card. Press POWER to reboot."
At this point I'm going to try formatting the card once more and see what happens.

UPDATE: Formatted the SD card and tried placing the files again onto it. Still the same issue occurs, any ideas?

Last edited by Vorde,

Aetopia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
When attempting to boot using your instructions, I've gotten to the point where I restored the NAND and formatted my SD card with the newest AMS and Hekate, but when it tries to boot up to the CFW I get "A fatal error occurred when running Fusee. Failed to mount SD card. Press POWER to reboot."
At this point I'm going to try formatting the card once more and see what happens.

UPDATE: Formatted the SD card and tried placing the files again onto it. Still the same issue occurs, any ideas?
Try using another SD Card? (I mean its the obvious thing to do. :P)

Reactions: Vorde

Vorde

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I ran a Surface Test with EaseUS Partition Master on my SD Card after it couldn't complete a format to FAT32, and about 30% of the logical storage blocks show up red, so somehow the card has become corrupt and useless. I'm purchasing a replacement SD card and trying again. Thanks for all the help everyone!

UPDATE: Received the new SD card and I can boot my Switch now without issues. Going to go back and restore the NAND image again since it's likely corrupted in some areas, and I don't want to deal with system instabilities etc.
Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by Vorde,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Although a mod already removed it, you cannot link Nintendo Switch firmware files as they are copyrighted materials just like games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: wait...my gbatemp acc is almost 10 yrs old lmao