Hacking ISP contacted me

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
maduin said:
xtrem3x said:
QUOTE said:
Usenet is a bittorrent client. Its uTorrent but you have to pay.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
N00b alert
Thats the stupidest thing i've ever read on the internet lol
biggrin.gif

Usenet downloads from servers, potentially (depending on your usenet provider) maxing almost any residential internet connection.
It takes me about 45 mins to download a 4.5Gb ISO where as it would take about 4 - 8 hours on torrent

I always thought it was kind of an unspoken rule to never speak about usenet, just so the retards don't go around fucking everything up for us. Sure, it's been around for over 20 years, but it's gotten some media attention as of late (timewarner removing their usenet servers because of of those few groups that contain CP). usenet is something that has to be discovered on one's own or through your friends. you go blabbing about it around the internet and it's sure to come under attack sooner or later, just like napster, and scour exchange, and kazaa, and bittorrent and the pirate bay. just shut up about it and enjoy it and hope that the idiots don't find it and ruin it just like the rest of the internet.

The idiots wont migrate & ruin it because most of them dont even have the $10 it costs for monthly membership. They're just kids trying to be cool

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
triassic911 said:
Wow ok maybe that was a retarded answer, but I obviously DO know what I am talking about. I CHOSE to make it simpler for others, and not write terms like "diode" which most people do not understand. What I meant is that using the laser for the wii for anything is using its "life" and obviously dvd lens were made to last a while, but you cannot compare playing a wii game vs. ripping a wii game. Ripping is CONTINUOUS (as in non-stop) usage on the laser (until the rip is done, obviously), while simply playing a wii game isn't. I'm not gonna go into further details because I assume you are a smart enough person to understand this. I never ONCE said the laser will die right away.

P.S. It's "you're" not "your"

Also, whoever is that guy who said usenet is a bittorrent client has to get some education.

You're seriously going to keep arguing about this? When I watch a movie in my DVD player, the laser is continually reading the disc, though the whole movie, every time I watch a movie. I've never heard of that being considered hard use. Whether I use a laser 10 times, 1 second each time, spread out over a day or I use a laser for 10 seconds in a row, the laser has still been used 10 seconds. What do you think is magically wearing quicker because of constant use versus spread out use? They don't say that expected lifetime is over 100,000 hours only if they're not in a row. They rate it at 100,000 hours. That's total use. That's 100,000 of continual use, 100,000 of intermittent use, or any combination of the two.

I'm going to start spreading propaganda that playing games wears out the motor that spins the disc faster than ripping games because continually stopping and starting the disc when you play a game causes more stress on the motor that just keeping it in constant motion.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well in fairness 100,000 hours is really only 11.41 years (11 years 151 and a bit days) so i was pushing it with that 12 years madness - what was i thinking.
And those discs would reduce it to 11.40 years ..... or no , hang on , would they be part of the 'continuous operation' i spoke about ?

Yes guys - dont use it or you may lose out on a few days in the first 12 years of the life of your wii.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I stopped using torrents years ago. I heard a rumour back then they were monitoring torrents. I've got usenet and never looked back. With astraweb as well as unlimited downloading you can buy 120gb, if you don't download much it'll last you for months.

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
djtaz said:
kimikal27 said:
dagreenone said:
Dude, we got a USB launcher now. I'm sure those downloads are from before it was released. But I'm just saying get a 1 month Gamefly trial. Rent a game a day, install it, mail it back. You could probably install all the good games the wii has in less than 30 days and cancel.

No money out of pocket. No torrents or downloading. No letters in the mail.

Problem solved.

and then say bye bye to your wii lens

lol - why do people start saying things like that about the wii lense ?
What do they think it does when its playing the game ?

Seriously - think about this logically - to play a game it has to read the game from the disc , to copy a game it has to read it from the disc ... erm see a similarity anywhere ?
LOGIC PEOPLE !

you do make sense, i know, but there are reports of people that add there lens killed for backing up games to usb.
not saying that 10 games are gonna do that ...

im not talking about my self experience just judging by reports

kimikal27

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
joe90 said:
SpAM_CAN said:
micric100 said:
SpAM_CAN said:
Oh dear... Someone else fooled by Usenet...

why do you say this, people seem to love usenet here? i never used it but i'm thinking about it

Also to all the people in this thread that say they work or used to work at ISP's is there any possible way to make the ISP not know what your doing, does spoofing your mac address like some seem to claim really work? should I just use usenet or rapidshare?

Usenet is a bittorrent client. Its uTorrent but you have to pay.

wtf are you on about.. I laugh at you.. you have no idea, and thats probably a good thing.. Keep usenet off the noob radar..

please correct yourself, you are giving out 100% duff and rubbish information.

i think that you forget that once you where a noob..

the rest you are right

NeoDraven

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
algols-place.chatango.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the whole "Oh noez! Mah lazr is gunna b burn'd out" fearmongering all stems from the PS2 hacking community. I remember all the frustration I had with both PS2 Phat and Slim systems; those lasers were notorious for crapping out way before they should.

Plus, a lot of the people whom are now hacking their Wii are teenagers or in their early twenties. These are the same kids who never got a Super Nintendo on Christmas morning, and by the time they started playing video games, they sharpened their teeth on PSX or N64. Then, they get on the internet and listen to all of the old horror stories about Dreamcast and PS2 lasers and they apply the same untested adage to every system they encounter from then on.

I still remember people back in 2005, trying to tell horror stories of their PSP laser burning out and not reading UMDs anymore, blaming it on shoddy Sony hardware and referring to the PS2 issues.

It's a safe bet that 95% of the people on this board, discussing lasers and the life-cycle of DVD-reading hardware, have never actually owned a system which had a burned out laser. They're all just parroting hearsay to sound like they know the topic.

This IS the internet.

Dueler

Trophies
Website
dueler.blogspot.com
XP
Country
NeoDraven said:
I think the whole "Oh noez! Mah lazr is gunna b burn'd out" fearmongering all stems from the PS2 hacking community. I remember all the frustration I had with both PS2 Phat and Slim systems; those lasers were notorious for crapping out way before they should.

Plus, a lot of the people whom are now hacking their Wii are teenagers or in their early twenties. These are the same kids who never got a Super Nintendo on Christmas morning, and by the time they started playing video games, they sharpened their teeth on PSX or N64. Then, they get on the internet and listen to all of the old horror stories about Dreamcast and PS2 lasers and they apply the same untested adage to every system they encounter from then on.

I still remember people back in 2005, trying to tell horror stories of their PSP laser burning out and not reading UMDs anymore, blaming it on shoddy Sony hardware and referring to the PS2 issues.

It's a safe bet that 95% of the people on this board, discussing lasers and the life-cycle of DVD-reading hardware, have never actually owned a system which had a burned out laser. They're all just parroting hearsay to sound like they know the topic.

This IS the internet.

Yeah, there are reports of the Ps2's lasers dieing.
Hell i only just hacked my ps2 yesterday and i already know that.

But no claims of a wii's laser crapping out.

Id like to say something after reading this entire thread.

Isnt it obvious the ISP's dont care?
If every ISP cancelled every service for every little punk who got caught torrenting theyd be out of buisness or atleast lose substantial profit margins.
They don't want to cancel your service, nor do they like the fact that companys like the ESA run around with little ninja spys stealing your ip info by assimilating themselves inside a swarm.
Its just not right no matter what your downloading.

I could probably give you a rough percentage of cases that actually get to the termination of internet stage. Id take a stab at about 1%.
At this point your options are simple.
Ignore the letter, or call if they require it and say that you had no idea what was going on and you dont know who downloaded the file or even if it was someone you know, and now that you do, it definatley wont happen as your going to strengthen your security.
If they do however block your service at that point, which i dont see much cases of it actually happening on a 1st or 2nd notice just sign up to a new provider.
I mean cmon its not rocket science.
And if your still doing the same shit, after being warned once or twice then you deserve to be disallowed from the internet, the less retards like you the better.

anyway take that rough guestimation from before and apply the same logic with say, the amount of people who actually get sued.
Let's put this new % at 0.10%

Now lets take a rough guesstimation of how many of these people actually lose there case because the company could actually prove it was them.
Lets say 0.01%

If you disagree with any of those percentages then ok, i cant prove them or anything, im making guestimations based on the amount of cases ive seen over my 9 years of computing.
Think logically, has anyone in this thread said OMG I WENT TO JAIL FOR THIS!
No, the worst that has happened has been termination of internet service, and i dont think i even remember reading that happening to anyone in this thread.

On the subject of Torrents.
Dont use them.
They are the most unsafe way to share files over the internet.
Its worse then walking into a police station with a stack of burnt cd's and trying to sell them.
YOU WILL GET CAUGH EVENTUALLY.
No matter what anyone is trying to tell you about proxys, encryptions, peer blockers all that shit is only ways to help prevent, none of them are full proof. NONE OF THEM ARE FULL PROOF.

The safest way to download is directly. Megaupload, Rapidshare hell any of the big downloading sites.
Have you ever heard of anyone getting a ESA / DMCA / MPAA notice for something they downloaded from MU, RS or any of the other biggies?
Because i sure as hell never have.

Ill say it again DONT TORRENT EVER!
Torrenting is dieing, its a useless format without support.
No one wants to torrent, its slow, its unpredictable, its unsafe and most of all its a pain in the ass.
Why would you waste your time searching for a torrent, finding a good one, then hoping it has enough seeds, then waiting for your speed to pick up, then hoping the swarm stays at roughly the same speed till you finish.
Its stupid.

Direct is so much better, find the download with google or a searcher or forum *megadownload.net megauploadgforum.net google.com for christ sakes*

And if you cheap basterds cant even afford to pay the 30 cents a day for these services then you dont deserve to even have nice things.

We are all riding the system, we sit here saving thousands upon thousands of dollars on games and accessability *homebrew games/programs that extend a machines usefulness* Yet you complain when you might cop a fine of $100?

I mean im no angel, but i like to think of myself as a thoughtful consumer, i have ATLEAST 10 legit games for every system i own. Excluding the DS, which i can hardly even find 10 games i like *im not saying all ds games are shit thre just not fitting of my style very often*
If someone takes me to court atleast i have some form of proof that i buy games, i mean if you buy 1 game every 4-6 months atleast you have proof you are a continued consumer. It strengthens your story of innocence, i mean why would you buy games if you could just get them free right?
wink.gif

Lastly i just want to say
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE CONSEQUENCES THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE LOSING YOUR INTERNET THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE BEING SUED THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE POSSIBILITY OF JAIL TIME THEN DONT PIRATE!

DONT DO THE CRIME IF YOU CANT DO THE TIME!

Im going to repost this image from earlier in the thread.
Take a quick read.
If the retards at 4chan can understand that torrenting is bad then why cant you.

1237238530604.jpg

I dont think i have anything left to add to this.
so ill just end it here -----> o

RipDime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BenJeremy said:
People should stop using torrents for copyrighted stuff. If a packet can travel to you, it stands to reason it can be traced to you. Some copyright holders have taken to hiring outfits that seed torrents to track traffic; that bypasses sniffers that simply examine packets (which might be encrypted at that point).

...but whatever, most people I know leech from usenet servers, using a server like GigaNews - around $25/month for unlimited downloads and they keep stuff for 240 days. With a little knowledge, and knowing where to find stuff, usenet can prove to be much better than the torrents - and definitely faster - without all the drama.

Of course, that may not last forever, but torrents are where all the attention is focused right now, and they'll certainly bite the dust before usenet.

Just my 2 cents worth.
+1000......../thread

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Golin said:
FireFreek said:
PeerGuardian doesn't do jack. I read something where it's been proven to make things worse.
PG2 does do jack, but it's effectiveness can't be measured and the way it operates is inefficient--and it cannot be highly efficient by the nature of the program. As to "[making] things worse," that doesn't have anything to do with making yourself more anonymous, it's more about making things worse because you're potentially blocking legitimate seeders/leechers and as a result crippling the torrent.

The creators of PG2 was asked a direct question on the Phoenix Labs support forum "Does PG2 stop my IP from being traced or stop anyone from getting my IP" the reply was NO. They said that they would not create a program that aided people to illegally download data.

IP addresses are fixed by the ISP's and there's nothing you can do about it. You can mask your IP to stop the everyday geek from seeing it, but you cannot block your IP from the data.

The MPAA and RIAA are not stupid, they know about PG2 (and any other programs) and they know how to get round it.

The biggest problem with torrents or p2p is effectively you are classed as DISTRIBUTING what you are downloading because you have to upload (share) at the same time, which makes the MPAA and RIAA want you more.

The newsgroups are download only (you can upload but it's not a requirement).

Torrents and p2p work on transferring binary data. newsgroups are pure text, everything is converted to text BEFORE it's uploaded (called UUencoding) and your newsgroup reader converts it back into binary (rar's and stuff), which means it's far harder to trace and far harder for your ISP to see what you are downloading, because everything just looks like a load of characters.

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't see why anyone still uses torrents, things like Rapidshare provide much faster speeds and much more anonymity. Or even Mediafire! Damn that site rocks, high speeds no limits and no wait (much better than things like usenet).

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
kashin said:
I don't see why anyone still uses torrents, things like Rapidshare provide much faster speeds and much more anonymity. Or even Mediafire! Damn that site rocks, high speeds no limits and no wait (much better than things like usenet).
Question is for how long MediaFire will stay so...I think they will soon make a Capca/Time/Limit...Their Site had some problems in the last time (at least for me), and they have recognized this for shure...let's see...shure I hope they won't do something
smile.gif

@Topic: I've used Torrents a long time ago, mainly for OSX86 (and yes, I own an original DVD), but it was damm slow.... BUT there are direct Links and JDownloader. Combine them and you're faster and safer. Torrents just suck...not more to say...

mucus

Orc Orc Orc
Trophies
XP
Country
Dueler said:
Lastly i just want to say
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE CONSEQUENCES THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE LOSING YOUR INTERNET THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE BEING SUED THEN DONT PIRATE!
IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE THE POSSIBILITY OF JAIL TIME THEN DONT PIRATE!
DONT DO THE CRIME IF YOU CANT DO THE TIME!
1237238530604.jpg

I felt i had to quote this.

This is a very accurate statement of how your ISP and "whoever" will deal with it.

Your isp loves your money, most people love money...

But if you are reading this, then you probably have little-to-none. So what's gonna happen?

noir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Dueler: Would it have killed you to clean up that image a little bit first? I like to thing people have a bit more tact around here than on 4chan.

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
Captin said:
Golin said:
FireFreek said:
PeerGuardian doesn't do jack. I read something where it's been proven to make things worse.
PG2 does do jack, but it's effectiveness can't be measured and the way it operates is inefficient--and it cannot be highly efficient by the nature of the program. As to "[making] things worse," that doesn't have anything to do with making yourself more anonymous, it's more about making things worse because you're potentially blocking legitimate seeders/leechers and as a result crippling the torrent.

The creators of PG2 was asked a direct question on the Phoenix Labs support forum "Does PG2 stop my IP from being traced or stop anyone from getting my IP" the reply was NO. They said that they would not create a program that aided people to illegally download data.

IP addresses are fixed by the ISP's and there's nothing you can do about it. You can mask your IP to stop the everyday geek from seeing it, but you cannot block your IP from the data.

The MPAA and RIAA are not stupid, they know about PG2 (and any other programs) and they know how to get round it.

The biggest problem with torrents or p2p is effectively you are classed as DISTRIBUTING what you are downloading because you have to upload (share) at the same time, which makes the MPAA and RIAA want you more.

The newsgroups are download only (you can upload but it's not a requirement).

Torrents and p2p work on transferring binary data. newsgroups are pure text, everything is converted to text BEFORE it's uploaded (called UUencoding) and your newsgroup reader converts it back into binary (rar's and stuff), which means it's far harder to trace and far harder for your ISP to see what you are downloading, because everything just looks like a load of characters.
Like I said, the nature of the application can never be highly efficient because it is based on updating a list of IPs to block. The obvious counter-strategy is to not use that IP address anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated