Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
O.K. Just got my iSmartMM today and I'm trying to set up the Linux plugin. I've managed to get a copy of Dingux Z4 (from a Chinese site a 3part RAR (NIS threw a suspicious activity alert to one of the files when I tried to extract them so I turned NIS off)) and I've downloaded version 1.1 and followed the how to install.txt to the letter but all I get is a black top screen and a white bottom screen.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
Is your ismm up to date concerning the firmware and kernel ?

http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=23667
http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=25072
Yup. Have checked on DSi and DS Phat (Just in case the 1.1. update wasn't happy with my DSi).

I'm going to test on other SD cards I have just in case the SD card that was supplied was a fake.

EDIT: Tested on other SD cards with same result.

Going to try basic install of ver 1.0 beta on DS phat (nothing on sd card except files from latest kernel and files from first release of iSmartMMLinux).

EDIT 2: Still no joy. I've also tried different versions of dingux (just changing the rootfs and the folders) with no joy either.

At the moment I'm using a Class 4 SDHC card so I will buy a class 6 to see if this helps. However I will be very disappointed if this proves to be the issue as Class 4 cards are pretty much the standard cards that you get supplied with these days and if you need cards faster than this to run iSmartLinux, which is really the only reason to buy this card (the SCDS2 is faster, has more unique apps, better OS, more support and skins), then it is a poor card.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the zimage and rootfs must be the one provided in the ismartlinux plugin. They are modified to run on the ismm.
I really don't understand why you are not able to run this plugin properly.
unsure.gif

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Right got a new 8GB Class 6. Followed all instructions to the letter and still getting black top screen and white bottom (this is the same as if I tried to run iSmartLinux without the actual Linux files (rootfs etc.) on the card).

This is a picture of the Root of my card.

14mt45c.jpg

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man ... i really don't know why you can't use this plugin.

Could you check in the directory /LOCAL/dmenu the file DMENU.INI ?

You should have this :

QUOTE said:
Theme = "????"
SearchPath = {"sample_search_dir", "sample_search_dir2"}
AllowDynamicThemeChange = true
VolDisp = true
BrightDisp = true
WatchDisp = true
ReadOnly = false
SndVol = 50
Bright = 19
# Background = ""
DimmerDelay = 5
FontColor = "251,255,255"
# Font = ""

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
That's exactly what I have.

Code:
Theme = "????"
SearchPath = {"sample_search_dir", "sample_search_dir2"}
AllowDynamicThemeChange = true
VolDisp = true
BrightDisp = true
WatchDisp = true
ReadOnly = false
SndVol = 50
Bright = 19
# Background = ""
DimmerDelay = 5
FontColor = "251,255,255"
# Font = ""

I've even tried unpacking the .zip files for the plugin with 7-zip just in case WinRAR was messing something up.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sure, don't use winrar as there is a lot of chinese files in the distro.
I compressed with 7-zip to avoid any problem with that.

Now you should verify if both chinese skins are in the directory /LOCAL/dmenu/themes : 苹果主题 and 默认主题

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
Sure, don't use winrar as there is a lot of chinese files in the distro.
I compressed with 7-zip to avoid any problem with that.

Now you should verify if both chinese skins are in the directory /LOCAL/dmenu/themes : ???? and ????
I have those.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry i have no more idea.
frown.gif

I know the beta 1.0 hangs with dsi console and tysong has fixed this bug in the v1.1.
You are using the v1.1 plugin, right ?

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
I've tried 1.1 in a DSi, 1.1 in a DS Phat, 1.0 in a DSphat, 1.0 in a DSi. All with the same issue. I've tried a 8GB Class 4 and an 8GB Class 6. All I ever get is Black top screen and White bottom screen which is exactly the same as if you try to run the plugin with nothing else from the distribution on the card.

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Do you know if anyone else has managed to get iSmartLinux working? It's just the iSMM community is very quiet and seems to be small (only you and me actively posting) so it's difficult to know if my issue is uncommon or normal.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jurrassicplayer was able to run this plugin also and me too. I first ran into the same problem than you with the plugin 1.0 and my DSi. It was fine on my dslite.
Tysong fixed the bug in the v1.1.

From what i understand about this plugin, it first load the zImage for the microsd root.
The zImage mount the rootfs file which call the iSmart_drv.ko.
Then the demenu is started.
The zImage and the rootfs must be the one from the ismartlinux plugin because they are modified to run on the ismm.

And last as it's a linux distro the case is sensitive.

Buleste

Old Fart
OP
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
Right. A little update and quite a strange one (or at least it is as far as I'm concerned).

In all the installations I've done before I've formatted the card with Panasonic SD formatter and copied the files straight from the archive etc and nothing worked.

However as a last desperate effort I formatted the card with Windows formatter and did everything else the same and now it works.

I think Tysong needs to put "Do Not format card with Panasonic SD Card formatter" in his documentation.

Right Now on to Amiga emulation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things