Hacking Is Xbox One hackable? Any improvement hacking it?

D

Deleted-351540

The issue with Dev Mode is it doesn't allow you to take full advantage of the systems resources so for emulators and other things you are limited
I don't disagree.

The problem at that point becomes the way Microsoft locked the system. From research a few others have noted to me, Microsoft uses virtual hard disk drives for each partition. They're encrypting these VHD's with one-way AES 2048 bit (I think. It's been a while since I looked into this as life got in the way and my health is deteriorating unfortunately.) Meaning, Microsoft has the key and nobody else. It'd take a very long time to brute force it and unless these keys get leaked, we have no way to obtain them. Work has been done (successfully, I might add) to dump these VHD's, however there's not much that can be gained from these dumps due to the way they've been encrypted.

By my own research, the amount of data being sent back to Microsoft is scary. If the Xbox One were to be cracked open, they'd know it almost immediately. Your console ID and gamertag would be banned very shortly afterwords. I'd say in less than 4 hours.

So, unsurprisingly, as I'm certain I'm not the only person to have noted how much data Microsoft receives from these consoles... Nobody has really looked too hard for an exploit. Fear of backlash (Microsoft really does want to protect their IP), fear of mass bans if an exploit is released, and the fact that developer mode exists have people going "Dev mode is good enough".

And, to be quite honest, we don't necessarily need full system resources in dev mode for homebrew to run great in this sandbox. We need optimized code. And the nature of UWP doesn't allow that. And, to fully understand UWP for the Xbox, you need to apply for and be granted permission to receive the Xbox One XDK and all associated documentation. (It is a process and while it is free, before they even agree you must sign NDA's. Hell, if they approve of it and you ask, they'll even ship you out two [TWO!!] dev consoles.) I will add that these NDA's likely include a clause against developing for dev mode. This is, however, purely speculation on my part. But I would think they want you developing for their store.

You can still learn UWP, however all the documentation will be for developing software on Windows 10 in a PC environment and not the Xbox. Also, that information is not easy to obtain and is very convoluted to understand. This is why there hasn't been many developers undertaking the task of creating homebrew for us. It just isn't very easy at all. (But we appreciate all who have!)

Now, on to the real reason people want the Xbox One cracked: piracy. It is obtainable on the Xbox One. The nature of how UWP works means that an application written in UWP for any platform can run on a different platform with very minimal recoding. The problem here is that these "play anywhere" apps and games require authentication and that will require a network connection. So if you pirate a UWP game on your Windows 10 PC and then try and play that same game on your Xbox... Insta-ban. Can't authenticate? Can't play. So yes, it is possible. Easy? Nope.

Developer mode is what we have. Frankly, we are lucky we have that.

Last edited by , , Reason: Words are hard. :(

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps the hacking group that originally found the payload exploit for the switch might do it, they seem too only do it for fun but they may be interested in poking around the xbox one only time can tell when an exploit will be discovered and released to the public
we need TX work on something for xbox one, i am not a pc gamer.
Someone get in touch with them. They may have done a damn good job of locking it down but I don’t believe it isn’t unhackable. UWP doesn’t address the pirates in the room (yes you too in the back). Someone’s gotta ask. Emulation is cool but I think the real reason we want the console hacked is becuase of the good ole yar har

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone get in touch with them. They may have done a damn good job of locking it down but I don’t believe it isn’t unhackable. UWP doesn’t address the pirates in the room (yes you too in the back). Someone’s gotta ask. Emulation is cool but I think the real reason we want the console hacked is becuase of the good ole yar har
i hope so, but we got not answers my friend.

dominater01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if making uwp emulators and apps are so complicated to do then how did absestos find out how to make a uwp version of retroarch? or hrydgard port his psp emulator or people trying to steal money over at xb1emu port pcsx and surreal 64 to the uwp format?

im no programmer but alot of people say its impossible or hard because there's no documentation but i just think no one is willing to help since all people care about is pirating stuff

its so weird how we finally have a system that can run hoembrew without getting banned or modding the console and now no one even cares to do anything with it

if a mod did come to the xbox 1 ever would homebrew come then or just piracy? as dead as the "scene" already is for the xbox one i bet its only for piracy

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE
S

Saiyan Lusitano

With the Game Pass, EA Access and Xbox LIVE Games with Gold it kind of makes piracy irrelevant. Yes, these services cost money but you're getting tons of games to play.

However, on the Switch? What a shitty service provided by Nintendo. I don't blame people wanting to hack it.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
if making uwp emulators and apps are so complicated to do then how did absestos find out how to make a uwp version of retroarch? or hrydgard port his psp emulator or people trying to steal money over at xb1emu port pcsx and surreal 64 to the uwp format?

im no programmer but alot of people say its impossible or hard because there's no documentation but i just think no one is willing to help since all people care about is pirating stuff

LOL, you know what? I actually paid for DEV access before it was free, just because I program for a living and I wanted to try. (And I can even do this during my work hours, as a "research".) It's not hard or anything, it's just not fun and why waste your time when you can do much more while much easier on a PC or other hacked, less limited platforms? You got no reason to or actually gain anything from. Yes there's always someone out there that would go an extra mile for anything, but that doesn't mean all the people should feel like doing the same.

I don't believe people saying they bought their consoles just for the homebrew. If you actually did, you'd expect to hack it yourself or your were just an idiot. It's a gaming console called Xbox. If you wanted to play your Pokemon Red you should buy a Gameboy and save you $300 and all the troubles. You got the good stuff when some people were kind enough to spend their time and energy to make them for you. If you don't, you don't. (And why bother to "help" people like this anyways?)

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Lol I knew they'd use hardware flags/checks to check if the console has been exploited, simply put it this way, look at the nes the 10nes all you had to do is short a pin to ground (or send a pulse to crash the chip... sounds like rgh was first on the nes lmao) to run unlicensed code, snes improved the flaws of that with its chip, Sega did the same on the genesis, and Atari on the 7800(which was cracked because someone found the internal software used to encrypt 7800 mode games thrown out In a Dumpster iirc) then Sony and Microsoft came, these systems now have basic forms of software drm, back when ps1, Saturn, Dreamcast (mid 90s to mid 2000s) onsole manufacturing was different as they simply assume people will only try to attack software so they locked software, when that proved inefficient (freemcboot, GameCube Homebrew, and custom bios/kernel on the og Xbox), at the time they (console makers) assumed people wouldn't bother reverse engineering the hardware or wouldn't have equipment, equity (aka money), or time or level of sophistication to do so, which led to a false sense of security (other words they got lazy with how secure it should be because of false assumptions about what the specific portions of the userbase is capable of doing)

so when ps3 and Xbox 360 came around the console makers are like hey these people aren't as stupid and dumb or as as we thought, they do have the ability to Snoop around places you may think are secure, so they designed the hardware in a way where the game is (Linux terms beware) running with superuser privileges, and the hypervisor which is the only thing that will allow code to execute is running with super-superuser essentially, and the hypervisor and all security is done inside the CPU die itself none of this info ever leaves, if the security has not been broken, any information that leaves and returns to the CPU buses is encrypted and will be checked, which did prove really difficult to crack
(ps3 may have better hardware, but 360 had better security, you cant JTAG/rgh with a ti84 se ) though mostly were patched (ps3 cfw need low system software or hardware downgrade, then ps3 lvl0 signing keys were leaked which is what was used to encrypt/ decrypt system software and updates iirc).
Jtag was actually a bug in the su su mode of the hypervisor that was discovered by the king Kong exploit which this specific mode of execution was permanently patched in hardware hardware updated past xx.4552.xx, the 360 knows what updates have been installed and which kernel updates are allowed to run, this is stored physically with fuses that are manufactured into the CPU die itself that can be blown permanently, forever, which tells the cpu to react and operate differently from that point onwards.
(specifically due to how $10EC was checked by the hypervisor had a overlooked flaw and this subtle and tiny flaw simply with microsoft devs using a 64 bit cpu operation to work on 32 bits of data allowed complete takeover of the console which was done originally with a modified copy of king Kong but was replaced with jtag which simply needed some wires and hardware and software to modify the nand)

RGH is delving to electrical engineering and low level attacks now, since you're using flaws of how the hardware is built at the electronic and physical level, rgh attacks the CPU during runtime and if you put the cpu in a certain state for a very specific amount of time during it's internal encryption/signature check you can induce a bug in the silicon implementation that allows any signature/encryption check to result with a pass (code that is signed will pass while unsigned code will either crash or cause the console to detect it as the cpu will try to decrypt code thats not encrypted and turn your code into garbage and crash trying to run it or see that the code has not been signed and halt)
the nand is modified with a bios which will continue to reboot and attack the CPU until it returns a pass (rgh boots into a modified kernel based on 4532 -4548 king Kong kernel which allow the $10EC vector to be used iirc to disable the hypervisor checks and run unsigned code)

with every generation they learn like was posted earlier Microsoft, Sony, and ninty more than likely are paying people money *cough* bug bounties*cough* *cough* to read these forurms, or even exploit the console and show them the exploit so they can fix it.
usually the exploits are public and documented, Microsoft just gets them a copy of it and sends it over to their system development team where they break down the exploit and build an update that should block the mode of execution and if they're smart they'd continue to keep looking, that's how exploits are found you keep looking around and you'll eventually find something interesting. It really isn't easy at all, should say its really difficult instead and its supposed to be thats why its called security, and that's what all the 10 years olds and leeches don't understand.

Honestly all of the things that most people would use the console for is to host modded lobbies, and if you pay attention and now look at cod and these same games on xb1 you have constant game mode updates, adding new games modes, features, not to the extent of of 10th lobby kill yourself and get 4 billion xp, but if you've ever used mod menus, other than modding stats, people would just use them to fuck around with the game engine, and people did write their own game modes, (icheeeeeeeetd and cod4 were married in that sense)

What killed the modding interest are the squeakers and wannabes who got infected with a mod menu or joined someone else's modded lobby, or a dev mad someone stole you're mod menu and put their name on it and quit development, you shouldn't own a hacked or modded console, and don't charge money for it if is only about greed. I've never made a penny from any lobby I hosted and I had people offer many times to pay, because people want to play something different and its fun to fuck around with the game in such ways, because you more than likely stole the game you're modding (not everyone) they think they're an uber hacker, uh no go hack the console and come back with a working 360 softmod and I'll be impressed... plus take that derank fakie (people who just reset peoples stats as a joke is another reason I only do it to people who tried to do it to me or were the biggest ass in the lobby, those who hold a sign begging will be hit with such hammer, otherwise enjoy the FREE unlock all 10th and just fuck around about the map) and the fact that people would charge insane amounts of money and ppl that were stupid enough to waste like 100 - 200 bucks at the peak for them to host you a private modded lobby for like 1-2 hours.
its not the mods that kill the game its how people use and abuse them are who kill it, and that's why you never saw really any homebrew 360 wise, everyone wanted to mod games, not run nes games. Which is why xb1 doesn't have that support, because looking back at the modding scene for the 360 was kind of trashy and only geared toward piracy, and modding games, and i guess people dont want to associate with the greedy and crap that was there, not all of it was crap, but there was a lot of drama going in the 360 scene which died really when the RGH was released

PS I really think that alot of the ps3 and 360 hacking scene was tied to employees or now former employees of said companies or their software devs leaking sdk info and dev kits to said people who chose to reverse engineer it.

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: Perfect One

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And tbh to add one thing, I could see not the console hacked per say, but more of booting into a modified version of the Xbox kernel or disk on a pc, since xbone is based on x86-64 hardware thats a start, plus xbone iirc is based from win 10, so if one could boot xbone software on a suitable PC and wrap/interpret/emulate custom (xbone) API to the PC hardware, then you could just simply use the PC to patch the software, I could see something like this done if xbone were to "emulated", and find some single player games if one could achieve booting the software you likely would have Microsoft attention as soon as you went online if you even could

D

Deleted User

And tbh to add one thing, I could see not the console hacked per say, but more of booting into a modified version of the Xbox kernel or disk on a pc, since xbone is based on x86-64 hardware thats a start, plus xbone iirc is based from win 10, so if one could boot xbone software on a suitable PC and wrap/interpret/emulate custom (xbone) API to the PC hardware, then you could just simply use the PC to patch the software, I could see something like this done if xbone were to "emulated", and find some single player games if one could achieve booting the software you likely would have Microsoft attention as soon as you went online if you even could
You'd need to find an exploit in the first place to dump the Game OS (era.xvd) and also a suitable game. Even then, they're specifically tied down by some drivers. It'd be so tedious that you'd have more luck exploiting, which is already possibly to an extent.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox One is heavily locked down and largely pointless to hack outside of piracy purposes. This isn't 2002, there are plenty of high quality, inexpensive devices you can attach to a TV and run whatever you want on them. There is little interest and high security. Don't expect to see a hack at any point.

D

Deleted-351540

The Xbox One is heavily locked down and largely pointless to hack outside of piracy purposes. This isn't 2002, there are plenty of high quality, inexpensive devices you can attach to a TV and run whatever you want on them. There is little interest and high security. Don't expect to see a hack at any point.
I don't know about that. There's already some (minor) interest in exploiting it. I kind of expect this to get more interest when the console reaches end of life. But I don't expect end of life for a few years after the new Xbox gets released.

Either way, I've got countless hours playing on this thing and it was money well spent.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about that. There's already some (minor) interest in exploiting it. I kind of expect this to get more interest when the console reaches end of life. But I don't expect end of life for a few years after the new Xbox gets released.

Either way, I've got countless hours playing on this thing and it was money well spent.

Not among the right people. Not among anyone with the skill set to break a highly hardened system like this.

The Xbox won’t have a real end of life. It’ll get minor updates effectively forever, like the 360 does now. We were lucky the 360 had a few big flaws. If we were waiting until EOL before a bad vuln were to be dropped, we’d still be waiting.

So long as Microsoft’s strategy involves backwards compatibility and they continue to ship hardened hardware, pirates are stuck.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

how come like why no interest thats money righ thtere

Nuff said

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nuff said

Yeah. There is nothing intelligent in the second part of your quote. Nintendo stuff is easy - they shipped an off the shelf Android STB without subjecting the SOC to extensive security analysis. There are countless amateur flaws that Nvidia burned into the silicon.

The Xbox One was designed from the ground up by highly competent security engineers. It’s a genuine challenge, one that TX does not have the skill set for anymore.

So people should just, seriously, get a PC if you want to pirate the Microsoft games. Buy the handful of meaningful console-only third party games.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By my own research, the amount of data being sent back to Microsoft is scary. If the Xbox One were to be cracked open, they'd know it almost immediately. Your console ID and gamertag would be banned very shortly afterwords. I'd say in less than 4 hours..

Can you elaborate on this? By "crack", do you mean that in a software "cracking" sense, or a physical, "cracking the case" sense? Are you saying that simply disassembling the Xbox One case could trigger a "tamper switch" that would alert Microsoft and potentially get your account banned?

Because there are numerous guides online for upgrading the hard drive in an Xbox One / S / X console, from what I understand it can handle up to 2TB with no problems, and I haven't heard of anybody being banned for it yet.

Although it does void the warranty, which may not even be legal on Microsoft's part but good luck affording a lawyer to fight them on it.

D

Deleted User

Can you elaborate on this? By "crack", do you mean that in a software "cracking" sense, or a physical, "cracking the case" sense? Are you saying that simply disassembling the Xbox One case could trigger a "tamper switch" that would alert Microsoft and potentially get your account banned?

Because there are numerous guides online for upgrading the hard drive in an Xbox One / S / X console, from what I understand it can handle up to 2TB with no problems, and I haven't heard of anybody being banned for it yet.

Although it does void the warranty, which may not even be legal on Microsoft's part but good luck affording a lawyer to fight them on it.
You can pop through using an overlooked feature when resetting console a new certain format they use, albiet limited. Main issues come from lack of privilege and other areas of attack but you can have reasonable and satisfying results through a simply elevated session in System (SRA). There are bugs that exist in certain drivers that I won't comment on and also there was a recent published resource that demonstrates a new attack vector that currently is being explored.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome