Hacking Is using SNEEK always preferable?

LexLuthor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been out of Wii Hacking for almost a year now.
Just wondered if using SNEEK was considered preferable to running your Wii as usual (from the default NAND).

Thanks!

LexLuthor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I dont know you tell me thats the question..

From what I know about it (which isnt much) doesnt it give better protection against bricking and offer a greater degree of customisation?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, I enjoy my 100 GB Storage, in which all WiiWare and Wii Games work as they should from USB.

So yeah, it's pointless, like Crass said.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its like a "sandbox" for your wii, while you're in SNEEK, its practically impossible to brick your Wii. But performance may not be perfect, and it can be tricky to get running. If you can get it set up, and know why you need it, make the decision for yourself. Otherwise, I advise leaving it alone.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
Well, I enjoy my 100 GB Storage, in which all WiiWare and Wii Games work as they should from USB.

Just copy all your extraneous wiiware games to SD card, no need to tamper with anything and jump through a bunch of hoops.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have bootmii as ios and arent a complete n00b use it
If you have bootmii as boot2 don't use it
If you want to mess with dev stuff use it
If your a n00b don't use it
If you want to use it then ModMii is your friend

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Crass said:
Blue-K said:

Just copy all your extraneous wiiware games to SD card, no need to tamper with anything and jump through a bunch of hoops.
And you reduce the NANDs lifespan, by copying the games to it again, once you want to play one. Also, this takes some/a long time. Nice idea, yeah.

It's not pointless, live with it. It's even better than a cIOS, if you can get it running.

LexLuthor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Its like a "sandbox" for your wii, while you're in SNEEK, its practically impossible to brick your Wii. But performance may not be perfect, and it can be tricky to get running. If you can get it set up, and know why you need it, make the decision for yourself. Otherwise, I advise leaving it alone.

Thanks for the help everyone.. I guess there is no clear answer either way.
I'll probably at least give it a go if I get some time over the next few days.

LexLuthor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
btyre said:

Why not if I have boot2? Do you mean because I wouldn't need the extra protection.
If so then thats true but surely the other benefits alone make it worth the effort.
I really wouldnt be doing it for protection.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Blue-K said:
And you reduce the NANDs lifespan, by copying the games to it again, once you want to play one. Also, this takes some/a long time. Nice idea, yeah.

It's not pointless, live with it. It's even better than a cIOS, if you can get it running.

Lol are you honestly concerned about the lifespan of your Wii's nand? And it only takes 10 seconds to boot a game off the SD card.

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Blue-K said:

Lol are you honestly concerned about the lifespan of your Wii's nand? And it only takes 10 seconds to boot a game off the SD card.

Have you even used SNEEK? I'm curious because most of us that have it up and running did so because we own too much WiiWare to store on an SD-card/NAND. Also, yes, most of us are concerned about the life span of our NANDs.

To the OP: It is almost always preferable yes, give it some more time and most people will probably be going this route.

What sounds better to you:

1. Real NAND, limited space for WiiWare/VC/game saves/DLC, compatibility issues with many Wii games via usb loading.

2. NAND on HDD/SD with as much space as you can afford. All games use their proper IOS thus few compatibility issues. Even games like MPT can be played via usb with no issues what-so-ever. Most homebrew works fine...the few apps that don't will eventually if they continue to receive updates. No worrying about running out of space for all the DLC for those music games. No need for cIOS.

Anyone that says it is "useless" simply hasn't used it or never ran into the multiple problems with traditional usb loading. BTW if you need a loader to use in SNEEK search for "uniiloader" on google.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DownSince86 said:
1. Real NAND, limited space for WiiWare/VC/game saves/DLC, compatibility issues with many Wii games via usb loading.

2. NAND on HDD/SD with as much space as you can afford. All games use their proper IOS thus few compatibility issues. Even games like MPT can be played via usb with no issues what-so-ever. Most homebrew works fine...the few apps that don't will eventually if they continue to receive updates. No worrying about running out of space for all the DLC for those music games. No need for cIOS.

How about:

3. Real NAND, plenty enough space for WW/VC/saves/DLC, zero compatibility issues ever with any game (yes, I have 100% compatibility. How? I load from the original discs. Takes approximately 5 seconds to find and insert the disc, losing me perhaps a second at most over USB loaders)

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
DownSince86 said:

How about:

3. Real NAND, plenty enough space for WW/VC/saves/DLC, zero compatibility issues ever with any game (yes, I have 100% compatibility. How? I load from the original discs. Takes approximately 5 seconds to find and insert the disc, losing me perhaps a second at most over USB loaders)

So how many games do you own, 10, 20?
smile.gif
When you start playing 50+ games you quickly run out of room on the NAND just for the save files. Plus the whole point of having the HDD hooked up is I don't have to get off my ass to change discs (unless I'm playing gamecube games of course). I also use my Wii for a media center of sorts, I watch most of my movies and TV shows through WiiMC (I pay for cable so I see no harm in downloading TV shows
wink.gif
).

If it works for you that's great. But some of us own more software and require the extra room.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
LexLuthor said:
btyre said:

Why not if I have boot2? Do you mean because I wouldn't need the extra protection.
If so then thats true but surely the other benefits alone make it worth the effort.
I really wouldnt be doing it for protection.
I didn't realise that there were other benefits, lol, I thought that was just brick protection for people without bootmii boot2.

alexcalibur

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just try it out and see for yourself. Yes it's extra protection, but if you aren't going to do anything dangerous, it might be a bit overkill. But is that bad? Not really. And it does have some nice features that you can play with. There's no harm in setting it up and later deciding it isn't for you, so why not just give it a shot?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DownSince86 said:
SifJar said:
DownSince86 said:

How about:

So how many games do you own, 10, 20?
smile.gif
When you start playing 50+ games you quickly run out of room on the NAND just for the save files. Plus the whole point of having the HDD hooked up is I don't have to get off my ass to change discs (unless I'm playing gamecube games of course). I also use my Wii for a media center of sorts, I watch most of my movies and TV shows through WiiMC (I pay for cable so I see no harm in downloading TV shows
wink.gif
).

If it works for you that's great. But some of us own more software and require the extra room.

Yeah I own about 10 and don't have the time to play all those. And I only ever play one game per gaming session, so I don't have to change discs anyway.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
DownSince86 said:

How about:

that's funny, because before i ever hacked my wii, i already had to start backing up VC titles to the SD card. i hadn't even bought any wiiware, yet.

the wii comes with pathetically little storage built in. like, really pathetic.

i now run UNEEK+DI, and i guarantee i can load my games faster than you. i can also get much quicker load times than you. your NAND may respond a hair quicker in a few cases, but i see absolutely no reason why everyone shouldn't switch to sneek. especially a +DI flavor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool