Is this joycon salvageable?

CatTheDestroyer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i opened an old joycon i wasnt using anymore bc of drift thinking jt was just a bit dirty and... It's pretty gross 🤣
The rumble pack (i think that's what it is) is pretty rusted and everywhere there is a white powder, is that battery leak?
Do you guys think i can still salvage it? No heart broken if i have to throw it away, as i said i wasnt using it, but i hate throwing away stuff if i dont have to!

Cheers guys

Attachments

• IMG_20230524_153338.jpg
    IMG_20230524_153338.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • Wow
Reactions: hippy dave

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
So i opened an old joycon i wasnt using anymore bc of drift thinking jt was just a bit dirty and... It's pretty gross 🤣
The rumble pack (i think that's what it is) is pretty rusted and everywhere there is a white powder, is that battery leak?
Do you guys think i can still salvage it? No heart broken if i have to throw it away, as i said i wasnt using it, but i hate throwing away stuff if i dont have to!

Cheers guys
You could try disassembling it and cleaning it with IPA, use gloves if it is a battery leak. However if it is a battery leak, depending on how long ago it happened and how much of the board it got to, it might not be salvageable.

Reactions: CatTheDestroyer

CatTheDestroyer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could try disassembling it and cleaning it with IPA, use gloves if it is a battery leak. However if it is a battery leak, depending on how long ago it happened and how much of the board it got to, it might not be salvageable.
Do you think i risk frying the switch if i connect it to the console to check if it works?

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Do you think i risk frying the switch if i connect it to the console to check if it works?
I doubt it, and giving how much gunk there seems to be need the pins that end up connecting ot the switch rails, it is highly likely it won't work. Do be careful tho, if the battery had a leak I wouldn't suggest connecting it to anything to avoid any risk or fire or anything. Not sure if the joy con batteries a lithium or what, I guess they are lithium. Just be careful.

halfashark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it isn't tea, coffee or cola then that might be a battery leak... That or one of those liquids might have triggered the leak.

You can just use vinegar to clean the components. It's what we use for old pc motherboards when caps/batteries leak. Just make sure the battery is removed. Also use with an old toothbrush to get around small components and then really make sure its all dry.

Then take the battery from its partner joycon and without putting it back together, see if it powers on.

CatTheDestroyer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The bin it is then!

I want to point out, it's my partner's, he kept it in his desk drawer and kind of forgot abt it 🤣 my own drifting joycons are PRISTINE

Thanks again guys :)

Reactions: redmagejosh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2