Is this bad for my harddrives?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by pgimps, Aug 1, 2011.

Aug 1, 2011
  1. pgimps
    OP

Newcomer pgimps Advanced Member

United States
    Hi, do I finally built my PC and what I wanted to do for my water cooling is have a quad rad on the bottom and make all of my drive bay covers vented and put a dual rad, I thought I would have more room so I made a 3.5 to 5.25 drive bay adapter and put my mechanical harddrive on the bottom and mount my SSD behind my motherboard tray, I later found out that there wasn't going to be enough room so I mounted both of my drives to the side of my drive bay holders and put a fan over them, my question is, will this be bad for them? [​IMG]

on the left is my HDD, above it is the fan, finally the SSD

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    As long as the HDD gets a lil airflow (not stuck in a heat pocket) and is protected against vibration (rubber pads would do wonders), it should be fine. Those 2 are the main factors that kill HDDs.

3. pgimps
    OP

Newcomer pgimps Advanced Member

United States
    how would I go about using rubber pads IDK if this is a n00b question or not?

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Depending on the type of rubber pads you use, you just place 2-4 pads on each side of the drive that's in contact with the chassis of the case. You may need to stick the rubber pads into place.

It's not difficult, you just need some creativity.