Hacking Is there planned DVD support for emulators?

Xknight2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a lot of WAD / Wii Channel Emulators out there and they are coming out fast with the Wii hack now in full swing, but one thing I think is missing big time is the chance to access your roms from a dvd insted of just the memory card. I know that non-modded wii's cant do this but surely there is a way to let modded wii's, isnt there?

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
st90 said:
then you don't get wii control functions

True. DVD support is something I too would like to see available on emulators. Not that its difficult to load them onto an SD card, but complete collections on 1 disk would be amazing, and the addition of wiimote control fuctions would be a nice boost as well. Although I'm sure DVD Drive support for emulators is the last thing on anyones mind right now.

Xknight2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
st90 said:

Thats my problem excatly. I have a good few gig of SNES games and an official Wii SNES pad and love using it on the SNES9X channel but would prefer to have access to all my roms insted of just a select few.

I know I could buy a huge memory card but why blow all that money when I have the games on dvd anyway.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Xknight2000 said:
st90 said:

Thats my problem excatly. I have a good few gig of SNES games and an official Wii SNES pad and love using it on the SNES9X channel but would prefer to have access to all my roms insted of just a select few.

I know I could buy a huge memory card but why blow all that money when I have the games on dvd anyway.

lol.. isn't a cheap 2GB sdcard enough for your "collection" ? are there really stupid people playing all the [b1] [b2], [o1],etc rom variations from the goodsnes set?

you people are just never satisfied and always looking for lazy reasons to make request topics

rolleyes.gif

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd like to see DVD support too. I'm sure it will be added in the future.
I have an old GC-mode emulator disc loaded with SNES roms, it would be cool if I can run those in Wii-mode. It has better performance and classic controller support.

Xknight2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
Xknight2000 said:
st90 said:

lol.. isn't a cheap 2GB sdcard enough for your "collection" ? are there really stupid people playing all the [b1] [b2], [o1],etc rom variations from the goodsnes set?

you people are just never satisfied and always looking for lazy reasons to make request topics

rolleyes.gif

I have a 2gb card but it isnt big enough. I know about all the b1 etc... and jap/usa/eu roms but 2gb isnt enough for all the snes/nes/gba/megadrive etc.... roms. We need dvd support!!! lol

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ farget
Using the Wii DVD Drive to read dvd's is a bad idea. It's laser aint ment for constant data access. You will fry/burn out ur laser in a few hrs watchn a movie!

and u can simply trucha sign an elf directly into a dvd OR make ur own GCOS emulator disk (avail many places with romsets + emu pre made dvd ; gc controller only)

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
At first I thought it was annoying that they skipped the DVD support on the snes channel emu. But actually I don't even want it now. I decided to buy a 2 GB SD cart especially for emulator purposes. Especially since the snes emu is so good. I think it's very comfortable that you can leave your Wii Game in the console whilst playing snes games.
Tonight for instance, I'll come home, flick on the TV, pick up the remote, sit on the couch, press power on, click on the Snes-channel, and play comfortably with the wiimote, no wires, superb. And then when I want to play some Bully I just press home and load the game. No game switching, nothing.

Long live the SD Support!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Xknight2000 said:
I have a 2gb card but it isnt big enough. I know about all the b1 etc... and jap/usa/eu roms but 2gb isnt enough for all the snes/nes/gba/megadrive etc.... roms. We need dvd support!!! lol

this is still stupid argument in my opinion, we dont NEED it, it's just you are too lazy to buy some additional 2GB sdcards
anyway, what the point of having 20000 roms, is it just to play them for 1 minutes and show your friends about your cooool emulatorz or what ?
c'mon, I can understand the NEED for proper wiimote and sdfront support as well as proper PAL support but there are definitively more important stuffs that DVD rom loading

Xknight2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont argue that fact at all, and dont get me wrong, if I never see DVD support on the Wii emu's it wont kill me but i think that its a good idea.

While were talking about SD support, whats the max the Wii can handle?

night_chrono

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xknight2000 said:
I dont argue that fact at all, and dont get me wrong, if I never see DVD support on the Wii emu's it wont kill me but i think that its a good idea.

While were talking about SD support, whats the max the Wii can handle?

2 gig. It doesn't have HCSD support.

And if it comes to filling up space, USB support would be better then dvd. I have 2 external Hard drives. One is 160 gig, the other 500 gig. The 500 gig was $100, can't beat that byte to cent ratio.. USB hard drives will be the way to go.

EDIT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136175

HDD I have. Once USB support is figured out completely, thats will become to dominant media for wii.

Killer Phantom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
Xknight2000 said:

this is still stupid argument in my opinion, we dont NEED it, it's just you are too lazy to buy some additional 2GB sdcards
anyway, what the point of having 20000 roms, is it just to play them for 1 minutes and show your friends about your cooool emulatorz or what ?
c'mon, I can understand the NEED for proper wiimote and sdfront support as well as proper PAL support but there are definitively more important stuffs that DVD rom loading

It wouldn't hurt to have more options, would it?

Not everyone here are spoiled brat who can beg their parent for stuff, y'know.

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
porchemasi said:
Using the Wii DVD Drive to read dvd's is a bad idea. It's laser aint ment for constant data access. You will fry/burn out ur laser in a few hrs watchn a movie!
Congratulations. That's the worst half-informed hearsay bullhockey I've read in a long time. How do you come up with such stuff?

Anyhoo: DVD support is not likely to come to homebrew apps anytime soon. And there's a simple reason for that: The Wii's IOS which any DVD access would have to go through doesn't allow access to DVD data unless the DVD is properly signed and encrypted. Means: No movie DVDs, no data dvds, unless someone hacks the IOS. Which is not even a low priority yet.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
zosh said:
porchemasi said:
Congratulations. That's the worst half-informed hearsay bullhockey I've read in a long time. How do you come up with such stuff?

Anyhoo: DVD support is not likely to come to homebrew apps anytime soon. And there's a simple reason for that: The Wii's IOS which any DVD access would have to go through doesn't allow access to DVD data unless the DVD is properly signed and encrypted. Means: No movie DVDs, no data dvds, unless someone hacks the IOS. Which is not even a low priority yet.

P.S. Drivechips allow this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...