Homebrew is there a dropbox\cloud backup tool? (requesting for one if doesn't exist)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
after seing this blog http://gbatemp.net/entry/my-sd-card-is-broken-fantastic-isnt-it.12179/
which there is a user blaming the OP for not creating backups..

i just asked if we could make backup of stuff more simplier on the 3ds...
sd cards break, and it's kinda a pain and not a swift process to get in a computer and backup the stuff..
(and i also suspect if you backup stuff, and you create new files, the old backup is rejected by the console, you need to use a save manager to extract the saves to backup them)

so, if we could launch an app and it would upload to dropbox or other cloud service in process that will upload the extracted saves and the folders the user selects in the config...
it would be a matter of in the end of the day, simply launch the app, let it sync (computer\smartphone free) and be assured all the stuff would be saved in a "3ds sd card" folder in dropbox

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be possible and pretty damn useful , but incredibly slow.
Keyword for sure. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to grab a 3GB game from freeshop. The WiFi card isn't ideal for this. Backing up an entire SD card(depending on size of course) via WiFi could take up to a full day. That's just not worth the effort just to backup an SD card, not when eventually you can use a computer and have it take 10-15 minutes.

Last edited by BL4Z3D247,
Reactions: Exavold

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Keyword for sure. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours to grab a 3GB game from freeshop. The WiFi card isn't ideal for this. Backing up an entire SD card(depending on size of course) via WiFi could take up to a full day. That's just not worth the effort just to backup an SD card, not when eventually you can use a computer and have it take 10-15 minutes.
Exactly.

Tbh I think a tool that backs up your NAND and then upload it would be more useful.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm...it should only take 50 -60 min normally with a good connection

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly.

Tbh I think a tool that backs up your NAND and then upload it would be more useful.
This would make more sense as a NAND backup is under 2GB. The thing I wonder is how would one use said transfered backup with out a PC? Also something to think about is if you loose your SD card, a NAND backup only restores what's on the NAND and not on the SD card. So I'm not sure that would help anyone who loses their SD card without having an entire backup of it.

Hmmm...it should only take 50 -60 min normally with a good connection
I have a 2DS and my internet is of the highest speeds available in my area.

Exavold

eeh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This would make more sense as a NAND backup is under 2GB. The thing I wonder is how would one use said transfered backup with out a PC?
With your phone ? If you're using a mSD ? idk.

Also something to think about is if you loose your SD card, a NAND backup only restores what's on the NAND and not on the SD card.
I know , but NAND is more crucial than SD content imo.

So I'm not sure that would help anyone who loses their SD card without having an entire backup of it
It would , because you'd be able to restore it using Luma payloads.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
that's where the sync and folder selection kicks in
it's useless to backup the installed games and other stuff like roms and cias, this program could have 2 areas.. upload to the cloud just the saves (extracted) and other part where the user can selected folders he wants to sync...
in the sync part if the files on both sides match there is no need to upload them again.
lets say you have a nand backup on the sd card, you can choose to upload that, but next time if the file on the server matches that file on the console, why would the console spent hours to upload it again... check, if match, skip to the next file\stuff...

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, with freeshop on my N3DSXL, while connected to Wifi, the speed cap is about 1.55-1.58 MB/s, while my Wifi is worth 95 Mbps=11.88MB/s. The Wifi card on the 3DS is just terrible. This is why a good ol' computer will always be better than FTP, even when the microSD is behind 2 screws.

Last edited by StarTrekVoyager,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With your phone ? If you're using a mSD ? idk.
Hmm, didn't think of that.

I know , but NAND is more crucial than SD content imo.
Agreed to the highest power.

It would , because you'd be able to restore it using Luma payloads.
True. I was under the impression the OP was talking entire SD contents. It would totally help someone just trying to restore their system. :)

Reactions: Exavold

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.