Hardware Is the USA sony playstation 3 slim just 120v or is it 100-240

FusionDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello new topic im not sure if this is the right place to ask this but either way can someone please tell me whether or not the sony PS3 slim 120gb model CECH-2101A is dual voltage meaning it can work in more than one place on a different voltage because i just recently moved from america (where outlets are 120 volts) to italy (where outlets are 220 volts) on the bottom of my ps3 it says 120V~2.1A 60 Hz but i have heard rumors that sony only puts the idea across that their ps3s are only the voltage of the area you are in so people dont import from america where some things come out earlier or to make you wanna buy a whole new ps3. so can someone please clearify this and if you can show me proof of this working or can someone who has actually done it confirm that it is dual voltage? thanks in advance.
nayps3.gif

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know for sure, but i highly doubt that it will work on 220v when it was designed for 120v. Someone else will have to confirm, but I think you may need some type of converter.

FusionDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for replying. i went to an american store yesterday and they had 100 watt and 300 watt italy to USA converters and the guy there said the 100 watt would work but i came home and looked it up on internet and most people say the ps3 on average takes about 200 to 250 watts so i could go back and get the 300 watt one but 1. its 60 dollars. 2. the place is two hours away. 3. i honestly dont want to rely on a converter cuz some people say if they blow a fuze or just go bad they can screw up watever is plugged into them. and i just bought my ps3 5 or so months ago so i do NOT wanna waste 300 dollars.

FusionDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just dont get why sony would put a different voltage setting in EACH of there ps3 that are shipped to a different are rather than making it universal. Additionally encase anyone wanted to know i read online that if it is not dual voltage i will either A. fry it or B. explode it. and i do not want to die or lose a hand so can SOMEONE PLEASE clearify?

FusionDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please is anyone out there? cuz your not responding to me may cost me my life.
frown.gif
i will just plug it in and see wat happens if i have to but i would prefer knowing whether or not my life or my PlayStations life will abruptly end.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont think anyone will realy be able to tell you.
But I know, that early models required the region's volt. Later there were multi-compatible PSU's.
Probl. the reason why to put specific labels. But some time passed since I considered taking one from the USA

Just thinking economically uniform PSU's are the best choice, but you never know...

Moose13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tired customer service on Sony.com?

They have a chat feature. I would ask them. If they say yes it does, see if you can try to save the conversation, just it case it something goes wrong, you will have proof that they said it works.

Sony Support Page

FusionDragon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay thanks to everyone. i just gained the courage and plugged it in. and it worked! i confirm that my usa ps3 slim 120gb model CECH-2101A is working with 220v although on the bottom it only says 120v. sony lied people.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FusionDragon said:
okay thanks to everyone. i just gained the courage and plugged it in. and it worked! i confirm that my usa ps3 slim 120gb model CECH-2101A is working with 220v although on the bottom it only says 120v. sony lied people.
OMG IM SHOCKED! ive looked into this as well, and yes usa ps3s work in europe, check the power supply itself, not the sticker on bottom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson