Is the Sega Genesis Flashback HD worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Futurdreamz, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I'm thinking it might be a good addition to my collection if it allows me to load it with a collection of the best Sega games. Is it possible or worth it?

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I heard the emulation quality wasn't all that great. Maybe the Genesis Mini will fare better?

3. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe. Rumour has it Sega dropped AtGames for it.

4. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Can't blame them, it was a piss poor attempt at making anything decent. Nintendo seems to be the only one investing and checking the quality on these new Retro or Classic consoles everyone started making

5. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Sega had no excuse. Sony could at least claim to not own the IP to the best games (which is unfortunately also the problem the N64 and up have)

6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It was confirmed that a Japanese developer is working on it. AtGames sucks ass.

7. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    The N64 and good third party support? Other than Rare, that's not really the case. But admitedly, some Rare games like Banjo or Conker missing from an N64 classic would have to be expected (as Rare is owned by Microsoft now), slightly dropping the nostalgia effect on this one.

In regards to the Sega Flashback HD: When Sega announced it, I was full of hope. "Finally a first party effort from SEGA bringing a proper mini console" - then AtGames announced they were making it and I curbed my enthusiasm.

Now that AtGames seemingly has been kicked out of the project, my hopes are up again. But I think it's too soon to say how good it will really be, we'll have to wait for any review units showing up.

8. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States

This IS indeed true but honestly? Nintendo has been able to, in the past, reason some questionable parties into questionable things. I wouldn't be surprised if they could reason for such a license...

As for the answer to the post...
    You want Genesis emulation? There are such cheap ways to do it and not need to rely on the hardware/emulation problems that this device may give you.
    Want something close to a real Genesis? Then buy a real Genesis. They really aren't that expensive.

9. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I doubt we'll see many, if any, RARE games on any hypothetical N64 Mini. MS have released RARE Replay with Banjo, etc. on it, although there may be a chance for the 'shared IP' games e.g. DK64.

The downside to real hardware is that it can quickly become a pain e.g. choosing a 'better' model, HDMI conversion (if necessary), stereo sound, wear and tear, etc. and on top of this you'll need a flash cart if you want ROMs on it.

Personally, I'd just look at finding a decent emulator unless you really want the most 'authentic' experience and willing to put the money/effort in.

leafeon34 likes this.
  10. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Nope. If you are buying a legitimate Genesis then HDMI and etc. should be out of the question. Not only do you NOT want to convert since the aesthetics of glass televisions look best, you also should just, as you said, emulate on other devices if you want all of the extra fancy stuff. If you want to emulate then there really isn't much reason to get this since cheaper products with probably better performance exists.

11. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    If you want to buy something then buy a copy of Sega Genesis Collection on the platform of your choice. You could go all the way and buy a Genesis and Mega Everdrive. My personal recommendation is something you probably don't want to hear; download a few ROMs and an emulator.

Last edited by leafeon34, Dec 14, 2018