Hacking Question Is Switch hacking safe enough to do in 2021?

TheCosmicWarrior

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I hacked my 3DS in 2016 when Soundhax was a popular entrypoint (everyone and their mother at that point had a hacked 3DS), but I'm aware that the Switch is an entirely different beast, and I'm still not sure if the pros to hacking the Switch outweigh the many cons I've found people have experienced. (TLDR; Is it safe to homebrew my console in 2021? And what's the safest option I have? Are there any precautions I can take?)

Last edited by TheCosmicWarrior,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hacking the Switch outweigh the many cons
Which cons?
Create an emuNAND, hide it from Nintendo (90DNS and/or Incognito) and do what you want.
Keep your sysNAND clean (as it is right now) and play online there.
No cons at all beside the fact that you have to boot between those two NANDs everytime.

dangopig

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
I personally recommend doing it for all the homebrew possibilities. However, the usual rule applies - if you're not mentally prepared to be banned at some point, don't do it.

Having said that, being console banned only stops you from accessing Nintendo's services and let's be real here, Nintendo online sucks.

Reactions: apaltado and kwlc

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You can't play online and run backup/homebrew on the same NAND though there is always a chance of getting a ban. You have to run an emunand if you want to do all your hacking stuff on one NAND and play online on Sysnand.

I agree with what @Hayato213 says. Plus, should something go wrong on EmuNand(EmuMMC), you can just create another in worst case scenario.

Doing it(hacking) on SysNand is not recommended, for most things. Also, having a corrupt/damaged SysNand may be harder to deal with, if you lose your NAND backup.

If you're going to touch SysNand into the hacking side of things, it is recommended always to a NAND backup before doing so.

Reactions: Hayato213

Krude

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been homebrewing online for almost two years now and nothing happened.

As long as you keep your homebrew to the homebrew launcher and don't do something fundamentally stupid like cheating online or installing pirated software, nothing will happen.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I assume you're on the proper model for RCM, I'd run as others said an emunand for all your homebrew and totally legit backups and use sysnand for "Normal Switch Things". the moment you run homebrew of any sort on your sysnand you're very likely going to be banned at some point, it honestly isn't worth the hassle and fear to not use emunand. and arguably it's healthier for your switch's real nand chip.
Go with atmosphere unless you absolutely NEED gamecart backup mounting or aren't good at updating on your own. which i'd assume since you already have used CFW in soundhax days you know enough to drag and drop a few files.

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,

kwlc

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi everyone. I hacked my 3DS in 2016 when Soundhax was a popular entrypoint (everyone and their mother at that point had a hacked 3DS), but I'm aware that the Switch is an entirely different beast, and I'm still not sure if the pros to hacking the Switch outweigh the many cons I've found people have experienced. (TLDR; Is it safe to homebrew my console in 2021? And what's the safest option I have? Are there any precautions I can take?)
it's really safe as long as you create an emuNAND to use your hacking stuff

Reactions: TheCosmicWarrior

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche