Is REVO UNINSTALLER a good software?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm currently uninstalling some programs that I hadn't used in YEARS, and I'm using Revo Uninstaller to do so.
I've been using that software since 2010 to uninstall anything.

But just now I'm wondering... do any of you know better alternatives?
What do you use when it comes to get rid of installed software?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Iobit Uninstaller Pro (a cracked version that just removed all stupid ads) for years now, but I read Revo Uninstaller is a good program, too.

P.S. That cracked version of Iobit Uninstaller was even better than when I used a 6 month trial of the Pro version (it had an ad at the bottom to add a serial key).

God damn ads.

Reactions: JuanMena

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have used it to help sort some issues in the past when baseline uninstallers failed for some reason (most times they do you will also find vendors and randoms provide a standalone uninstaller or guide that does even better) and would not advise against it for that.

As far as everyday uninstalling then I don't really see the need. Even more so if you are capable of going into temporary folders, app data and whatever else to delete things left behind.

Reactions: JuanMena

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm currently uninstalling some programs that I hadn't used in YEARS, and I'm using Revo Uninstaller to do so.

It's okay. It doesn't seem to remove much that the standard uninstallers don't remove, so I don't personally see a need to use it, I've used it a few times in the past (as well as IObit Uninstaller) but not these days.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of running a few/couple times, I also do that with Malwarebytes. It never finds anything worrisome so it's probably unnecessary given that people are careful with what they download (and its sources), etc so they'll be safe.

The day before yesterday I received an Amazon scam email that ended up on the Inbox than Spam, and I checked the sender... Yep, scammer.

I can see older folks falling for these stupid scams. 🫤

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking of running a few/couple times, I also do that with Malwarebytes. It never finds anything worrisome so it's probably unnecessary given that people are careful with what they download (and its sources), etc so they'll be safe.

I’d still have an anti-malware of some kind, even one that you just run occasionally.

Just because you’re careful doesn’t mean **** can’t happen, such as a ‘legit’ source getting compromised or ‘drive by downloads’.

That said, the single number one source of malware I’ve encountered has been via other people E.g. usb drives.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I been using Revo for a few years, it is quite decent, it remove leftover files such as files, folders, and registry that generally are left behind if you use regular uninstaller.

Reactions: CoolMe

Dinomite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I been using Revo for a few years, it is quite decent, it remove leftover files such as files, folders, and registry that generally are left behind if you use regular uninstaller.
I'm in the exact same position. Been using REVO for years purely because I like the feature of the program scanning post-uninstall to find and remove any leftover files.
The program also has additional tools worth checking out such as the autorun manager, so you see what programs/executables are running at boot and have the ability to turn them off or remove them.

Fijxu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Heh, is not bad, I also used it a lot of time and it works as intended but since the program is closed source now I really prefer to use something that I can trust more like "Bulk Crap Uninstaller".

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Heh, is not bad, I also used it a lot of time and it works as intended but since the program is closed source now I really prefer to use something that I can trust more like "Bulk Crap Uninstaller".
BCUninstaller is so good :D

Reactions: Fijxu

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I usually either just use the program's own uninstaller (this includes Steam, if it's a game that came from it) or just tell File Shredder to go ham on whatever folder it lived in, in the case of unwanted software like McAfee or a game that hurt me.
Sure, the "just delete it manually" method can leave a few stray registry keys, but there's only ever been One (1) time that that has ever lead to an actual problem for me, and even then it was cosmetic..
Post automatically merged:

If I NEED to uninstall it the "right" way, and it has no uninstaller of its own etc etc, I just open control panel and do it from there.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I usually either just use the program's own uninstaller (this includes Steam, if it's a game that came from it) or just tell File Shredder to go ham on whatever folder it lived in, in the case of unwanted software like McAfee or a game that hurt me.
Sure, the "just delete it manually" method can leave a few stray registry keys, but there's only ever been One (1) time that that has ever lead to an actual problem for me, and even then it was cosmetic..
Post automatically merged:

If I NEED to uninstall it the "right" way, and it has no uninstaller of its own etc etc, I just open control panel and do it from there.
It's not just deleting registry keys, but also hidden folders in hidden system folders.

That's the main reason why I still use that program so I don't have to delete hidden stuff everytime I uninstall something.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
It's not just deleting registry keys, but also hidden folders in hidden system folders.

That's the main reason why I still use that program so I don't have to delete hidden stuff everytime I uninstall something.
Huh. Hidden files where exactly? In %APPDATA%? In ProgramData? Nothing can hide from me.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Huh. Hidden files where exactly? In %APPDATA%? In ProgramData? Nothing can hide from me.
Yes. I mean sure you can enable to show hidden folders and files, and make your way to said route to manually delete everything... or you can automate the process with that program.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Total Uninstall seems to work really well.
The bad thing is:
  1. It isn't freeware
  2. It needs to be ran before installing any software and before running the installed software as well. Reason for this is because it uses snapshot systems and then take whatever changes occurred from those two snapshots, and stores them as a list of changes made. Log-file of sort.
  3. It also record other changes made that may not pertain to the installation in question.
Of course if your OS is immutable (Windows could been immutable for years, especially even Windows 7, heck if remembering correctly, even XP could have been possible), then it is likely any uninstaller isn't needed for the most part.

Last edited by RandomUser,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Good to see another option.

Folks have their preferences so they use what works for them and what they're used to.

The program also has additional tools worth checking out such as the autorun manager, so you see what programs/executables are running at boot and have the ability to turn them off or remove them
You can disable them via Windows own program if you so wish.

I noticed that my Steam always opens on the stupid friends list or whatever, and there's nothing to show up so that's a bit pointless. Time to disable that or something.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Total Uninstall seems to work really well.
The bad thing is:
  1. It isn't freeware
Huh! I have it from some magazine CD of 2002 or something and it was definitely not a demo!

I used Ashampoo's product back then, though :P and yes, they worked fine if used as intended (taking snapshot first, installing, opening and closing, taking snapshot after, deselecting obviously unrelated files in the comparison)

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh! I have it from some magazine CD of 2002 or something and it was definitely not a demo!

I used Ashampoo's product back then, though :P and yes, they worked fine if used as intended (taking snapshot first, installing, opening and closing, taking snapshot after, deselecting obviously unrelated files in the comparison)
I discovered it back in the Windows 98SE era. Back then I believe it was free.
You can also use it as not intended, like trying to find a way to reset a fully featured time based trial software that doesn't use online to check the date installed.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I used Revo Uninstaller Pro (I don't paid for that and used crack to remove protection into lifetime never expire) for many years on my Windows 7 and never give me any problems so far. It's best program to uninstall everything programs, games, etc and clean up mess registry keys left behind. I always used "Safe Mode" without need create system restore is best defense. Nothing wrong with Revo Uninstaller Pro. I high recommend Revo Uninstaller Pro over than all other programs.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^This. It knows the directory of each software you're trying to uninstall, it's much better than doing it manually by yourself, and sometimes it's annoying to look for these leftover files/ folders 'cause you really don't know what you're looking for. The autostart remover is also very useful..
Also been using for at least 9 years..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Weird I have been playing MSU enhanced Genesis games for a while now lol