Homebrew Is PS1 Worth It On N3DS ....

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its more of Curiously ,more than anything ...... To Be Fair There's only a Handful i would actually like on my n3ds
MGS 1
Arkanoid R
Castlevania SOTN

has anyone had much success with these tittles .... i would try them myself ..if i wasn't at work ATM

justinweiss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most 2D games work great with a few framerate drops during special effects and loading. Square RPGs seem to play really well too. I'm about 3 hours into Chrono Cross, and there are some framerate drops during battles, but overall it's really playable. I played through all of Suikoden 1 without any problems and only a few very rare frame dips.

3D games are more of a mixed bag, especially when they push lots of polygons, and especially especially when those polygons make use of lighting and blending. MGS1 seems playable in overhead view, but cutscenes are choppy. Crash 1 plays well with frameskip 1, but loads from disc pretty often which causes frequent hiccups.

Load times are a pain, the 3DS seems to be very slow reading from the SD card and it pretty much pauses the game whenever that happens. Diablo 1 is really bad at this, it reads from the disc on almost every frame, so it runs at ~5-10 fps. I have some ideas for how to fix this -- I have an experimental build that really helps in RPGs, and makes Diablo fullspeed with frameskip 1, at least in town and the first dungeon.

Some tips: Turn off dithering, it makes things very slow. It also helps to keep audio sync on and turn vsync off (if you turn them both off, it won't cap at 60fps). In advanced unai options, pixel skip can make some games faster but cause graphics corruption in high-res screens.

There are random crashes, so make sure you use savestates. In 20ish hours of Suikoden I only experienced one, I've had about one an hour in Chrono Cross. They tend to happen most while loading.

Last edited by justinweiss,

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most 2D games work great with a few framerate drops during special effects and loading. Square RPGs seem to play really well too. I'm about 3 hours into Chrono Cross, and there are some framerate drops during battles, but overall it's really playable. I played through all of Suikoden 1 without any problems and only a few very rare frame dips.

3D games are more of a mixed bag, especially when they push lots of polygons, and especially especially when those polygons make use of lighting and blending. MGS1 seems playable in overhead view, but cutscenes are choppy. Crash 1 plays well with frameskip 1, but loads from disc pretty often which causes frequent hiccups.

Load times are a pain, the 3DS seems to be very slow reading from the SD card and it pretty much pauses the game whenever that happens. Diablo 1 is really bad at this, it reads from the disc on almost every frame, so it runs at ~5-10 fps. I have some ideas for how to fix this -- I have an experimental build that really helps in RPGs, and makes Diablo fullspeed with frameskip 1, at least in town and the first dungeon.

Some tips: Turn off dithering, it makes things very slow. It also helps to keep audio sync on and turn vsync off (if you turn them both off, it won't cap at 60fps). In advanced unai options, pixel skip can make some games faster but cause graphics corruption in high-res screens.

There are random crashes, so make sure you use savestates. In 20ish hours of Suikoden I only experienced one, I've had about one an hour in Chrono Cross. They tend to happen most while loading.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh fair enought i might just give MGS1 a go thanks for the in depth info

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven’t tried it in a while, but it’s free, and if you’re thinking of trying it, I’d say you should.
Yeah i did have a quick blast of MGS1 ... it was playable but still ... i'd liked it on better on my Ps Vita .... ( Lord Knows i've Finished That Game 100 Times ..... ) but to me its a classic more for the music ...

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might give Castlevania SOTN a blast its such a classic ..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No but using the PS1 forwarder you'll get single icons for your ps1 games with little to no fiddling with retroarch. Just press the icon and play.
OH that's new Im definitely going to try that

Shawnm355

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its worth a try but it failed my ps1 emu test. the game i test with is thps clasic to see if the music works proporly, sadly it did not. but im hopeful that it will turn into something one day

Reactions: SuperDan

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
its worth a try but it failed my ps1 emu test. the game i test with is thps clasic to see if the music works proporly, sadly it did not. but im hopeful that it will turn into something one day
Whats the problem with the music? I would expect the frame rate to be low because of it being a 3d game, and therefore the music to be choppy together with the gameplay.

Shawnm355

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah its not just the music the games slow too, but a emulator needs to be at like 99% for the music to work so i look for a game with a good soundtrack. its just how i like to test emulators

Reactions: Zense

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh. It plays Intelligent Qube PERFECT! And that's really all I'm after.
Yeah, I did not mean all 3D games run bad but most of the time the performance isn't perfect. I managed to get Vagrant Story, Final Fanasy VII +IX and Parasite Eve to run well. I did try intelligent Qube at some point but I just couldn't get it and got tired of falling to my death...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah its not just the music the games slow too, but a emulator needs to be at like 99% for the music to work so i look for a game with a good soundtrack. its just how i like to test emulators
Agreed, anything less than full speed is normally unacceptable because the music is one of the most important aspects of games for me. Dolphin is one exception though, because you can lower the emulated CPU clock speed to 40%, which will make the game skip frames naturally, instead of the emulator slowing it down in order to keep up, which keeps the audio perfect in many games when I run Dolphin on my Switch, but not all, as some games are still too heavy for the emulator even with the 40% CPU clock speed override. They might even be GPU bound which is why I don't see much improvement in the audio at all. And some games just have too low framerates to be considered playable, so even with perfect audio it's still no good. And depending on the game, game speed could be tied to the framerate so that it actually runs slower when the framerate is lower, but that's not a huge deal as long as the slowdowns aren't constant. But I digress.

Some people don't mind playing games without sound, I on the other hand can't stand it. So just turning the sound off isn't a good solution either. Maybe consider getting a good controller for your smartphone? Smartphones emulate most systems with ease, and you're always carrying it around anyway. GameSir makes some good ones that are designed for smartphones, where the phone is held in place with a clip so you can hold it like you would hold a 3DS, there's also iPega who has various models, including ones that more resemble the Switch with two halves where your phone fits inbetween them, or you could go with a DS3 or a DS4 with a clip addon to hold your phone, or really any wireless bluetooth controller that you can buy or 3D print a clip for. I know 8bitdo sells a clip addon for at least some of their controllers.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Agreed, anything less than full speed is normally unacceptable because the music is one of the most important aspects of games for me. Dolphin is one exception though, because you can lower the emulated CPU clock speed to 40%, which will make the game skip frames naturally, instead of the emulator slowing it down in order to keep up, which keeps the audio perfect in many games when I run Dolphin on my Switch, but not all, as some games are still too heavy for the emulator even with the 40% CPU clock speed override. They might even be GPU bound which is why I don't see much improvement in the audio at all. And some games just have too low framerates to be considered playable, so even with perfect audio it's still no good. And depending on the game, game speed could be tied to the framerate so that it actually runs slower when the framerate is lower, but that's not a huge deal as long as the slowdowns aren't constant. But I digress.

Some people don't mind playing games without sound, I on the other hand can't stand it. So just turning the sound off isn't a good solution either. Maybe consider getting a good controller for your smartphone? Smartphones emulate most systems with ease, and you're always carrying it around anyway. GameSir makes some good ones that are designed for smartphones, where the phone is held in place with a clip so you can hold it like you would hold a 3DS, there's also iPega who has various models, including ones that more resemble the Switch with two halves where your phone fits inbetween them, or you could go with a DS3 or a DS4 with a clip addon to hold your phone, or really any wireless bluetooth controller that you can buy or 3D print a clip for. I know 8bitdo sells a clip addon for at least some of their controllers.
Interestingly, you can also lower the clock speed of the Pcsx rearmed on the 3ds as well. I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn