Is piracy justifiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THE MAN gets all my money. All of it. Whatever I have, I gotten by virtue of the money I have given THE MAN. I have paid for everything I have.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Let me quote myself again:

And that's why you can't actually take all the downloaders, multiply their number by $[too much], and claim that as a loss. You can't honestly claim your movie/game/CD would have made that much money if it weren't for downloaders. That's just crap.

And yet that's pretty much exactly what these industries do.
Yes, but they didn't really expect to get that money. They all whine about "piracy" and over-inflate their "losses", in order to justify their lack of profit that's actually caused by crappy games
nyanya.gif

Really good games still make a ton of profit despite all the downloading in the world. Keep that in mind.

Cauterize

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A side note: Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo sell their consoles at a loss and make their money on games. So if you want to punish one of the console makers, the best thing you can do is buy their console, then never buy a title for it.
biggrin.gif

Or to screw them a step further... dont buy the console!
laugh.gif

I agree with your words above UncleChuckle, i too was one of the 'Amiga boys' back in the day swapping disks. Youre totally right, everyone had an amiga, everyone loved it and everyone had copies!

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Of course its not justifable...no matter what spin you try to put on it. You're stealing from a company. I remember the good old days of actually enjoying games that i spent my money on, Now its all seems crap and games are less enjoyable. I actually buy my 360 games and they're all worth the money.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I knew this was going to be BIG, that is why I saved my second post, to really comment something worth it. =)

UncleChuckle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Of course its not justifable...no matter what spin you try to put on it. You're stealing from a company. I remember the good old days of actually enjoying games that i spent my money on, Now its all seems crap and games are less enjoyable. I actually buy my 360 games and they're all worth the money.

FOR THE LAST GODDAMN TIME, IT IS NOT STEALING! IT IS COPYRIGHT VIOLATION! WILFULLY MAKING A COPY OF SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO COPY.

Jesus christ...

As for games being more enjoyable, the problem today is the money involved. It's the same with anything. When it's niche, people take chances. Look at TV networks. When FOX was small, they took a chance on stuff like Married With Children and The Simpsons. As they got bigger, they took less risks. Same with other TV networks. The bigger something becomes, the less those involved are willing to risk, because they rather like the millions of dollars their cookie cutter crap makes.

So there you go, piracy is GOOD for the industry as there's less money if we believe your argument.

sneekysneeky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've often thought about that in the Microsoft point of view thing - if I hypotheically download a 360 game which I had absolutely no intention of EVER buying, then found out it had some pretty good features and I then decide I want to spend some bin lids on the downloadable content for it. Have I hurt the industry or helped it? Would this justify piracy? How can a company loose money on a copied game I would never buy anyway? All hypothetical of course!!!

Discuss.
laugh.gif

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

Plaaaaaaaant!

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ur trying to justify something that yiu now is wrong....but hey, if it werent around, i doubt gbatemp would be around.

as i have said a million times, downloading roms in the uk, w/o the intent to sell, is legal. the only time you here about pir8s being caught is when they are "sharing" (read uploading).....

justifies or not, in the uk, its allowed.

it is illegal in the uk to download roms. i dont know what made you think its legal
blink.gif
The police just like to tackle the people who sell it the most. However if you walked by a police man while holding a copy of "300" the policeman would take it from you.

fischju_original

I used to be a jerk before i got banned
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.dpgdownloads.com
XP
Country
United States
For games, it's not justifiable. But if some software would vastly improve a developing country that can't afford it, why not? Bill Gates let off countries that were pirating m$ software that couldn't afford it

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To those that said that they wished they could rent NDS games, have you heard of Gamefly? Don't give me bull about not having a credit card, you can get one of those throwaway Visa/Mastercard giftcard dealies at a 7/11 or grocery store.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Pirate games just to avoid paying and supporting good programmers and evil distributors is by no means justifiable.
I'd bet no one would be happy if I were to borrow their TV/Car/Whatever just because i'd like to use it but i'm not willing to pay for it and when i'm done i'll just dump it to trash (wrong analogy maybe, but you get the point). Sure... having a "illegal copy downloaded from mini-something or other source" or ROM for short, to test the game could be tolerable if you buy the game eventually, but doing so just to avoid paying for it makes you a simple common thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: