Is no$gba dead?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by dogman, Nov 21, 2008.

Nov 21, 2008

Is no$gba dead? by dogman at 10:45 PM (5,584 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. dogman
    OP

Member dogman GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    So I decided to pay no$gba's website a visit today, and the site seems down. I visited wikipedia to check if there was a new homepage or something but it links to the same dead URL, and it says:
    Soo.. does anyone here know what happened? I was kinda interested in playing with the nocashio driver.

2. Couugghhing

Newcomer Couugghhing Member

United States
    I want to say it still exists. I think there's a new version out where you have to pay $2.50 if you want to play it. But, you can still download the "older" version. IIRC, the new version supports 3D or something like that.

Sorry if I'm not too much help.

3. upbumpo190

Member upbumpo190 GBAtemp Regular

France
  4. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I don't think it's dead, it just takes a while to make a new update to the emulator. Remember that now he wants us to pay for the latest version, so he's probably making it a good update worth paying for.
    You can download the second latest emulator for free, which I think is this one:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=1722

I think it's the second latest, I dunno for sure.

5. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    the forum still works

http://forums.ngemu.com/no-gba-discussion/

maby ask there [​IMG]

6. Sphaa

Newcomer Sphaa Member

Norway
    I think it`s dead.

He hasn`t updated it since januar (?)
    His website is down
    NOBODY have heard from him in a long, long time. This is taken from GBAdev, a forum he used quite a lot from what I understand
    You cant even pay and recive the debugger that was his main income.

All I have written above is taken from other forums. I don`t know him and I have never talked to him.
    Pleas correct me if I`m mistaken

I just hope he`s okey, and I wish him all the best in the future nomatter what he does:)

7. Orangegamer

Member Orangegamer GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    when i try to go on it
    it doesn't even load
    its "Network Timeout"
    lol
    he can someone pay for the latest download and distabute it on the download section on this forum
    i think that will be a good idea
    but i can't pay for it
    cause....i don't have a paypal account
    lol
    darn it

8. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

its for that VERY SELFISH REASON ... Development of projects like this CEASE TO BE!!

9. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Well his PayPal account wasn't even accepting any payments for half a year. I would have liked the debug version, but if he isn't accepting any payments then there's nothing I can do.

10. Veristical Blaze

Member Veristical Blaze GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    It's last time updated in August; i think that was No$GBA 2.6a not sure

11. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Didn't 2.7 come out a while ago?

EDIT: wait, that was a fake.

12. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    From the look of that forum, I don't think anybody there has a clue what happened to him either.

I hope the project is still alive. I've been using his emulators for as long as I can remember. He always used to say coding No$ was his only job. Perhaps he has now decided to sort out his life and gone to get a proper job?

13. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    I would imagine so, programming something with its primary audience being pirates is probably the worst business model ever [​IMG]

14. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Who ever said his primary audience was pirates? His primary source of income was from developers paying to get access to some of the best GBA/DS debugging tools available.

As has been said earlier, nobody knows where he's gone, at least according to the guys at GBAdev. He's been missing for months.

15. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I heard somewhere it was dead because of piracy that he told someone and then they popped it up on some forum. I know where I'm going here isn't going to be popular with some, but this is someone I've indirectly known for over 10 years and have seen a pattern go like the friggin tide with him.

Basically what happens is he starts a program up, gets lots of people to look at it, submit bug info with that pop up of his that shows where crap breaks, runs the board to get feedback too. Initially all the stuff he has is free, and he very well touts that it is a 'NO $(Cash) {System} Emulator', but does charge for a developers version. The sad thing is, he has a pattern of bait and switch tactics. Once something hits a huge milestone, you don't see an update for a bit, then wham it's up and you have to pay for it. This happened with NO$GB, and then NO$GBA too (pre DS days.) Typically it's when like most games start to work, or when near perfect audio is popped in suddenly it's MOre $ GBA(or whichever.) The GB version got nailed when SuperGB was added, then later Color, and then the GBA one when sound and much worked, then he chilled and left it the old way, but once DS got in there and well working after he was snagged for a time, it went charge again.

Pirates are a fickle group that's for damn certain, and they don't like being FUCKED WITH. It's a bad business model as is trying to get cash out of those who are too cheap to buy a game at retail, even used retail, better yet a flea market for a couple bucks. Pirates or not, it tends to really piss people off when there's an expectation made and then out of nowhere the door is slammed in your face and demanding cash for access as it's just slimy. Typically each time he has done one of these free->pay switches in previous years when he was more active online you'd see some whining, yelling at people in live chat, or whatever trying to justify the switch or blaming of all things some times developers for not buying enough copies of the commercial debug tool (which sold for a few thousand USD) so he decided to nail the normal version to make up some steam.

Obviously I have no pity for the guy as you can tell and am and had been fed up with his two faced tactics for some time now. I know someone here will have issue with this post, dont' blame you, but this is a pattern and a lame one I think that needed being spelled out due to the concern here. Odds are he went into hiding for at time, maybe he'll come back, and maybe he really did get a job finally, but it was kind of dumb trying to make a living off a debugger that wasn't even all that perfect in the first place (Which I know as I used to have a friend who worked for a 3rd party that bought a couple licenses (GB/C era) and it clashed with the Nintendo kit often and often being wrong for it too.)

16. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    wow, he does sound like a real exploitative moron.... this is why I don't like closed source freeware.

charging homebrew devs that release code for free is rather a nasty idea too.

oh well, plenty of pirate versions of it on google

17. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Yes all his releases so far at least with Nintendo branded systems he'd tout on irc or boards (I'm talking in the 90s even) as being 'no cash' and fun for everyone while he'd charge for the dev tool so people could use it as an added assistant. Problem was everytime a milestone hit you wouldn't see an update for a bit, then it dropped with a pricetag. That's why I have no pity as it's a boring ass re-run in tv terms that has played out too many times for any pity or mercy. I don't want to sound jerky or like I'm a pirate making excuses but he can kiss off at this rate. Eventually IDEAS people will figure out how the hell to get the speeds no$gba has and then it will be truly useless (that and a cleaner audio plugin.)

If it were allowed I'd point out where to find 2.6a or even one up that as the shenanigans are old. >:\