Hardware Is my 3ds Hinge Loose?

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just got an xl and the hinge feels very loose and feels like the top screen is about to fall out is this normal?

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got a regular 3DS here and the hinge is pretty sturdy, just a very very slight wobby. You do have a 12 month warranty that covers the loose hinge issue: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/539/p/48/session/L3RpbWUvMTM4ODYzOTEzNi9zaWQvTnQxRlFrSmw=

See if you can live with the loose hinge, if not, you should take advantage of the warranty and get it repair. They give you free shipping and it usually takes them 3-5 days to get it repair and get it back to you.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's normal for the top screen to wobble a bit on the XL. It's much looser than on the normal-sized 3DS. If it really feels like it's going to fall off though, then yeah, you may want to exchange it or have it repaired.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a little loose by design, to prevent all that hinge cracking business that some of the DS models were having.

Gurjas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for all your responses and if it is suppose to be a little loose thats fine but mine is really loose and feels like the top screen is about to fall out

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, mine is loose too. It's an ice white 3ds, not xl and when i shake it while playing i can notice the hinge is loose. But if it was too sturdy it could cause problems like cracking the hinge parts soon since i'm opening and closing my system alot in a daily basis. For me, too sturdy = bad, a little bit loose = ok, too loose = send that to repair.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
it's normal, i had 2 3ds xl, both of them after one week the hinge gets really loose, and its annoying because when i am playing pokemon dream radar the screen "jumps" back and forth...

it really bothers me when i try to see the 3d screen or using the dream radar... i must keep my hand on the top part so i dont feel the screen falling down...

but this happened on both of them...

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps you can post a video for people to see if your loose 3DS XL hinge is normal or not.

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have an additional question about this.

Close your 3DS XL, now hold the bottom half tight and try to slide the top half up/down, left right a bit by pushing on the edges. (like sliding two dvd cases on top of each other) Does it move at all?

On mine I can move the top half a bit if I put a little pressure near the L button. Not sure if its normal or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?