Is LUA a good game engine to use?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by sodaddict, Dec 12, 2016.

1. sodaddict
    OP

sodaddict GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2016
    LUA has been used to make many great games like Far Cry and Crysis, as well as Angry Birds, Diner Dash and Garry's Mod (If you consider that a good thing).
    Thanks to Garry's Mod, i am actually getting into LUA-scripting, though i would like to know: Is LUA a good engine to use for video game making? Not necessarily big budget video games.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Lua is a programming language, not a game engine. Equally for many of those games they might use lua but the core loops of the game will be written in something far faster.
    That said it is a nice language if you are after a scripting language, used by loads of people within game circles (so you can get help and possibly find some premade libraries and code to use), used by loads of people outside it so not likely to vanish any time soon, pretty cross platform (I mean the DS has several interpreters).

So yeah you are never going to make the next GTA in it but you can certainly make an interesting game, and one that could even stand as a commercial product. I don't know if I would personally favour it over python, an even more popular scripting language, but if you know some of it already then I am not going to encourage a switch.

3. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer Frizzle Fry

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Lua is great! (At least, on the players end) Many psp homebrew was written in it and we had many good homebrew options.

4. billyboy

billyboy Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2016
    United States
    You should check out LÖVE.