Question Is lakka useful?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by TheBloodstomper, Apr 22, 2019.

1. TheBloodstomper
    OP

TheBloodstomper Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Belgium
    Hi everyone.

I've been emulating for years on pc and I'm a little bit new on Nintendo Switch emulation. I installed retroarch on the switch with a forward nsp and so on but saw a lot of threads talking about lakka. So, my question is : is lakka really a better choice than just using retroarch? Or it isn't useful for me? I just want to emulate n64 to play back some games I had when I was a child ^_^

Thx for your answers, and excuse me if my question looks noob. :yayswitch:

2. jjbredesen

jjbredesen Yes I am not dead.

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Korea, North
    Hyrule
    Well for N64, Retroarch in Horizon is getting really good now, Mupen64 runs most games very well.

You only really need Lakka if you want to give GC emulation a go, but it will never be full speed, thus its really more a preference thing at this point as native HOS emulation continues to close the gap.

TheBloodstomper likes this.
  3. TheBloodstomper
    OP

TheBloodstomper Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Belgium
    Thank you very much for your fast answer!
    As a lot of people I would like to see a nice 100% GameCube emulation on Switch but I think it isn't going to be here for a couple of months/years/never because of the poor power of the switch. I heard once that Nintendo had an official emulator for GC running good but haven't heard of it in a while, is it possible?

4. jjbredesen

jjbredesen Yes I am not dead.

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Korea, North
    Hyrule
    Gamecube emulation through Dolphin or any other emulator will never run 100% on Switch. Even with overclocking , and on hacky Dolphin branches optimized for speed. So I would not expect this to ever be thing, it might get close say 90% speed in some games, but never perfect.

Nintendo has a Wii emulator for the Nvidia Shield that uses the same SoC (TX1) as the Switch, but it is not yet very well understood and uses per game implementations. It is also limited to Android obviously. I suspect once sufficient RE is done, those games might be possible to install on Switch once Android is better optimized, but the games are not yet cracked, so this will be a while and limited to the 5 or so games Nintendo have released (Mario Galaxy, Punchout, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart Wii)

5. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Yes, it will! They are not release it just yet. Here:

Jackson98 likes this.
  6. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Many gamecube games currently run at either full speed or almost full speed :P. And that’s just with 1.7ghz CPU

7. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    How's DC emulation? I kind of expected Dolphin to kick the Switch's ass, but how does Reicast hold up? I'm especially curious now as if I'm playing my hacked Switch, it's usually to pass the time at college.

8. TheBloodstomper
    OP

TheBloodstomper Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Belgium
  9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    No. Maybe they are working to fix many things and bugs before they release it.

10. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    Tried ppsspp on lakka it works but with some glitches and stutters and ppsspp on retroarch on cfw just crashes even with assets folder in placed does this only work on exfat?

11. TheBloodstomper
    OP

TheBloodstomper Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    Belgium
    I heard Lakka only worked on FAT32

12. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Try installing the retro arch nsp file. That gives full ram access and may help you out.

13. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Does lakka still have harder to access audio options?

14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Are you launching Retroarch as an app for ppsspp? You can hold R when launching any game to launch HBL as an app on recent versions of atmosphere.
    Don’t... that’s not supported and will cause other issue

15. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    tried it doesn't work.

16. AirbusX

AirbusX Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2018
    United States
    My dream, well...one of anyway is to play Skies of Arcadia on the Switch... I wonder via Lakka how it runs...

Mouser X likes this.
  17. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Looks more of a novelty to me, to each their own tho.

18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    lakka will have the edge in terms of 3D emulation going forward now that it had shifted over to using Nvidia’s own L4T distribution, giving access to Nvidia’s own drivers, including for GL and Vulkan.

This has already resulted in full speed Reicast, problem N64 games running full speed, and even some Dolphin games running full speed (PSO, Code Veronica, Pikmin).

Ninn, Silent_Gunner and AirbusX like this.
  19. onofrix

onofrix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    in lakka i can play dreamcast!

Guivas73 and AronR like this.
  20. Pipistrele

Pipistrele Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Lakka is potentially useful, but lack of sleep mode and rather convoluted way of launching the thing are two major dealbreakers as of now. Until folks in homebrew community figure out how to dual-boot firmware (without dongles/gadgets) and implement a fully working sleep mode, this thing is more of a novelty for those who want to push console's limitations for the heck of it - fun and impressive, but isn't really practical in long term.

Last edited by Pipistrele, May 9, 2019