Hacking Is it worth to emulate on a PSP?

Dr.Oktoberfest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So. I recently found some cheap PSP's, and being a fan of the older games like Star Fox, Ocarina Of Time or the Wind Waker, i thought about emulating them (i own the games, thus it's legal for me to emulate them) I heard some stories about the PSP being a good handheld emulating device, and i'd like to point out that i want to have a portable emulator, ready to go. I tried emulating on Android devices, but they lack a comfortable input method (mostly with N64 emulations, lots of buttons, and your screen is covered by them). I mainly want to emulate Nintendo 64, SNES and Gamecube titles on it. My questions are:
I: Is it worth it?
II: Does the PSP have enough power to run N64 and Gamecube titles?
III: Are the emulators good?
IV: How difficult is it to set them up?
Thank you in advance.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
not sure if real or trolling. there's so much wrong with this.

first of all, the psp doesn't emulate anything past snes, gba and genesis comfortably. n64 is still jsut a glorified tech demo. gamecube, you're fresh out of your mind.

the emulators are mostly good, but snes and gba still aren't perfect. lots of tinkering in the settings for various games is necessary.

setting them up generally isn't hard. its just copy and pasting files to the psp. the rest depends on the emulator specifically. they all have menus, some are more comfortable to use than others.

get a good android phone and a bluetooth controller that can hold it. still, even android emulators arent perfect and gamecube probably doesnt work right at all

Reactions: Dr.Oktoberfest

Dr.Oktoberfest

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
not sure if real or trolling. there's so much wrong with this.

first of all, the psp doesn't emulate anything past snes, gba and genesis comfortably. n64 is still jsut a glorified tech demo. gamecube, you're fresh out of your mind.

the emulators are mostly good, but snes and gba still aren't perfect. lots of tinkering in the settings for various games is necessary.

setting them up generally isn't hard. its just copy and pasting files to the psp. the rest depends on the emulator specifically. they all have menus, some are more comfortable to use than others.

get a good android phone and a bluetooth controller that can hold it. still, even android emulators arent perfect and gamecube probably doesnt work right at all
Oh okay thank you :) When it comes to the technology i've been living under a rock, and know about as much as my grandma. Well, looks like the PSP isn't as good as i thought. I never thought of the controller, even though i seen a few ones that can connect to the phone. Once again, thank you for your reply.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh okay thank you :) When it comes to the technology i've been living under a rock, and know about as much as my grandma. Well, looks like the PSP isn't as good as i thought. I never thought of the controller, even though i seen a few ones that can connect to the phone. Once again, thank you for your reply.

its not that its bad. for the price you can buy them, you do get a system that plays -most- retro games very well. dont forget its over 10 years old at this point. and you also get the psp and ps1 catalogue. and for the longest time, they were pretty much the best you could get in the 100$ pricerange. but with android systems getting cheaper and good bluetooth controllers being available for better prices, things have changed.

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Android, I have a MOGA controller. It has an expandable phone holder where you put your phone and plenty of buttons for your emulation needs. :D

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
For 16 bit consoles, the PSP will run them really nice and smoothly. The form factor of the PSP makes it a really nice way to play, as I hate phone controllers- adds unnecessary bulk. Also runs GBA really nicely too. N64 and Gamecube, you're dreaming.

Easy to set up, just load up the 'rom' folder with your games of choice and it's fine. the GBA emulator requires the BIOS, something you'll need to find yourself.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
The PSP already has Emulator's for the SNES, NES, GB/GBA, and a n64 Emu (Not the Best, and basically experimental). But, if you really think the PSP can handle a GC game, welp....you need to do your research! The PSP wouldn't even be able to load the ROM...xD But i can't even take you Seriously, because you joined the same day you made this Pointless thread. :creep:....:glare:

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse