Hacking Is it worth chipping my new Wii?

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, so my new Wii should be here any time between Monday-Wednesday. I've been wondering if I should get it chipped or not.

The only thing that's holding me back is:

1. Will online work? This is a must.
2. Will Nintendo know if my Wii is modded? I don't want to be banned from online.
3. Will Nintendo be able to STOP chips from going online?
4. I'll need to find someone around my area that can chip my Wii.

These are the 4 things holding me back. As you can see, I really want to keep online features!

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so my new Wii should be here any time between Monday-Wednesday. I've been wondering if I should get it chipped or not.

2. Will Nintendo know if my Wii is modded? I don't want to be banned from online.

These are the 4 things holding me back. As you can see, I really want to keep online features!

Jeezus man ... everyone has these problems. No one knows what the future holds so clearly you cant give an answer to 2 and 3. Given my 2 cents however, since Nintendo was stupid enough to make a console resembling their cube and not give it adequate protection I think that the only way nintendo can ban you is if they brick your system with a firmware update. Since you can disable firmware updates via wii connect 24 (even though I wouldn't run that piece of crap while the Wii idols since it can actually overheat the system) and patch Raw data ISO's ... I think that you are safe.

If I were you I'd wait till SSB:B comes out since that game will most likely have online play and see how it goes from there. Moreover, considering that most of the Wii games are not online and that online support from nintendo generally sucks and that hacks will come out fast and you will see people cheat all the time on WiFi (just look @ wifi for the DS and you will realize that this is true) ... I really don't see why you care a lot about the online capability of the system. I suppose that you may want to play w/ your friends but seriously just invite your friends over ... its much funner that way
wink.gif

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Just be careful not to drop it or bang something hard against it and it will always look as good as new. Why would you want to chip a brand new Wii anyway? Do you chip all of your stuff so people think it's trashy and won't try to steal it?

SeanoRLY?

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Jeezus man ... everyone has these problems. No one knows what the future holds so clearly you cant give an answer to 2 and 3. Given my 2 cents however, since Nintendo was stupid enough to make a console resembling their cube and not give it adequate protection I think that the only way nintendo can ban you is if they brick your system with a firmware update. Since you can disable firmware updates via wii connect 24 (even though I wouldn't run that piece of crap while the Wii idols since it can actually overheat the system) and patch Raw data ISO's ... I think that you are safe.

If I were you I'd wait till SSB:B comes out since that game will most likely have online play and see how it goes from there. Moreover, considering that most of the Wii games are not online and that online support from nintendo generally sucks and that hacks will come out fast and you will see people cheat all the time on WiFi (just look @ wifi for the DS and you will realize that this is true) ... I really don't see why you care a lot about the online capability of the system. I suppose that you may want to play w/ your friends but seriously just invite your friends over ... its much funner that way
wink.gif

Hmm, I guess you're right. But I'd still like to play some friends over WiFi like I do on my DS.

QUOTE(cruddybuddy @ Aug 26 2007, 10:18 PM)Just be careful not to drop it or bang something hard against it and it will always look as good as new. Why would you want to chip a brand new Wii anyway? Do you chip all of your stuff so people think it's trashy and won't try to steal it?
I'm not made of money so I can't afford to put out £30 per game. Hence why I want backups *cough*

helba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
www.phuongmods.com
biggrin.gif
, turnaround time is 1 day, or earlier, ie if i recieve it in early am, i'll mod it asap, and the regular pickup guy will pick it up at 5 pm to be shipped back that same day. that's what mosty happens, i rarely get wiis that are shipped in to stay at mroe house for more then 1 day.

Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I'd advise waiting it out until Mario Kart is released; Let's see if we have to suffer through another "BUY A PASSME2 LULZ" debacle, and yes, I know current chips are supposedly reprogrammable. Like that excuse doesn't fail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2