PS1/2 Is it legal?

Darkshadow1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello,
My question is it legal to use the ps2 emulator with my original games because I have repaired my ps2 more than 15 times and I fear one day I won't be able to get it repaired. So I am going to buy a gaming laptop after finishing first year university to be able to emulate ps2 really well.

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's one of those grey areas of the law. As long as you dump the BIOS of your own PS2 there shouldn't be any problems. As to how legal the dumping of the BIOS is I'm not sure.
Though I don't know what you're worrying about. None of the authorities will care about the emulator. The only thing that could get you in trouble would be pirating games.

Last edited by Reiten,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello,
My question is it legal to use the ps2 emulator with my original games because I have repaired my ps2 more than 15 times and I fear one day I won't be able to get it repaired. So I am going to buy a gaming laptop after finishing first year university to be able to emulate ps2 really well.

It's one of those grey areas of the law. As long as you dump the BIOS of your own PS2 there shouldn't be any problems. As to how legal the dumping of the BIOS is I'm not sure.
Though I don't know what you're worrying about. None of the authorities will know your using an emulator unless you tell them or mass download games from the net.

When you ask "is it legal...?", you gotta add the *where*. Law varies from country to country. Generally speaking, as long as you own a legit copy of the games you play and any other copywrighted material, you should be fine.

Then there is terms of service you sign when you purchase something and run it, like Apple's that makes you sign that you will not emulate (virtualize) their OSs outside an Apple machine. Depending on the country, they are legally binding or not at all. Then, even the ones where they are, sometimes they have clauses that are illegal in a country that can make the ToS clause or even the entire document void.

Last edited by pustal,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What do you mean?
Why would someone thought police you or your notebook anyway?
You have your legally bought games, you have your legally bought PS2 and notebook, you are not sharing what you do with them... who would care?

Darkshadow1997

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I am in Bosnia at the moment, And thanks for clarifying my question. To be honest, I used to pirate games a lot but now I make sure to buy a copy for every game I pirated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1