Hacking Is CycloDS worth the trouble?

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, I wouldn't take the chance of getting a good one. When I got mine is when they first came out. So all this defect talk wasn't around yet.

If you don't want to take a gamble, then I recommend going with the SCDS1. I've been hooked on this cart for about three months now. I haven't used anything else. It's very dependable, and has features no other cart has. In my opinion, it's the number one slot 1 cart.

[fanboyism]What, like Real-Time Saves? Check the new CycloDS Evolution beta, saving, 8 seconds. loading, somewhere around 3-5 seconds flat.
cool.gif
The supercard takes what, 20-30 seconds both ways?
rofl2.gif
I love it when people hate on Teamcyclops, who obviously have the best software out there. [/fanboyism]

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Seriously, I wouldn't take the chance of getting a good one. When I got mine is when they first came out. So all this defect talk wasn't around yet.

If you don't want to take a gamble, then I recommend going with the SCDS1. I've been hooked on this cart for about three months now. I haven't used anything else. It's very dependable, and has features no other cart has. In my opinion, it's the number one slot 1 cart.

[fanboyism]What, like Real-Time Saves? Check the new CycloDS Evolution beta, saving, 8 seconds. loading, somewhere around 3-5 seconds flat.
cool.gif
rofl2.gif
I love it when people hate on Teamcyclops, who obviously have the best software out there. [/fanboyism]

Scds-1 V3.0 SP1 .. 2 second RTS
bow.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

cool.gif
rofl2.gif

Lol, as already stated, check the latest supercard software. 2 seconds.

"I hate it when people bash supercard"

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even taking the worst case numbers for batch 3, you would still have a four out of five chance of getting a good one. Real Hot Stuff will turn around a replacement (or refund, if you wish) as soon as they receive the broken one. I would certainly hesitate to buy one from an iffy site though.
Uh, you'd've been closer saying 3 out of 5 chance of getting a good one, but apparently what is now in stock SHOULD be from batch 4, so maybe hell froze and the Chinese figured out how to spell quality(unlikely)...

Waiting for my response from TC to arrange for my Evolution getting shipped back... I hope that they'll be amenable to shipping me out a black replacement as they're now available or I may even gamble on buying a second Evolution from RHS as they test before shipping and will replace from stock for 90d.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Batch 4 is out guys, and I'm sure they are making sure that they're going to have much less defective units.

diglett

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Uh, you'd've been closer saying 3 out of 5 chance of getting a good one, but apparently what is now in stock SHOULD be from batch 4, so maybe hell froze and the Chinese figured out how to spell quality(unlikely)...

I was using the numbers that OZModchips posted here. In another thread, he said that 5-10% were DOA and in this thread, he said 15% were DOA and another 5% failed in the first week.

I do not know what the actual numbers are.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Totally worth it. The CycloDS Evo is the best example of a well produced product with by a fully supporting team.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Totally worth it. The CycloDS Evo is the best example of a well produced product with by a fully supporting team.

Yep. I got a defective one, then got a defective replacement, but then they Team Cyclops gave me a working unit, and refunded my shipping costs in cash. Totally worth it. And they sent them using express, it took just a couple of days for them to arrive.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They, apparently, didn't send my replacement via express mail as they told me 2-3w for delivery, however, I did NOT have to return my DOA unit at all.

banjotron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the CycloDS is worth it. The R4 might be a lot more reliable in general, but it's basically half a generation behind in features at this point. If you really want features on the same level as the Evo, your alternatives are the M3 Real and the Supercard DS1.

The M3 DS Real has hardware issues too, and the craftsmanship sucks. I don't know if their manufacturing process just blows or what, but the shell for the M3 DS Real is sized incorrectly in some serious ways, and that has the potential to really screw up your system. The issues are pretty rare, but they're potentially way more severe than just a dead flashcart.

I can't really comment about the SCDS1. I haven't really looked into it.

In any case, the CycloDS does have some very serious hardware issues to sort out (the new hardware version supposedly fixes most of them, but we should wait and see to really be sure), but so does its most popular direct competitor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.