Hacking Is bootmii ios useless?

revolution

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been away from the 'wii scene' for a while but have gotten back in since some new programs have started to be released.

I remember waiting for bootmii, the end all of preventing bricks, but for a few users maybe it isn't all they've imagined. I unfortunately can not install on boot2 since I have a newer wii. My only option is to install the IOS version but in the readme it says it must be launched from the installer, hbc, or other. Now, I think banner bricks/bad wads and updating from a different region might be the most common forms of bricks but with bootmii as an IOS you're basically screwed still because I don't see a way to launch it after bricked.

Backing up the nand might seem useful but really it isn't. The 'scene' pretty much analyzes the latest updates before you even know they're out most of the time. Also the creators of bootmii urge you NOT to restore the NAND using the IOS version.

I was wanting to finally update to 4.0 and if something goes wrong bootmii won't be able to save me. Now I think I might just stay on 3.2. Am I pretty much right on my observations of bootmii or am I missing something?

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I really doubt updating to 4.0 will brick you, and you can just use bannerbomb to get back to having homebrew, then you can install preloader 4.0 .

Bootmii as IOS isn't USELESS, provided you have preloader. You can boot to the homebrew channel, boot to bootmii and do a NAND restore.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention; that was just talking in terms of brick protection. Bootmii is a door to new homebrew, so in that sense, yes, it's extremely useful.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
revolution said:
I have been away from the 'wii scene' for a while but have gotten back in since some new programs have started to be released.

I remember waiting for bootmii, the end all of preventing bricks, but for a few users maybe it isn't all they've imagined. I unfortunately can not install on boot2 since I have a newer wii. My only option is to install the IOS version but in the readme it says it must be launched from the installer, hbc, or other. Now, I think banner bricks/bad wads and updating from a different region might be the most common forms of bricks but with bootmii as an IOS you're basically screwed still because I don't see a way to launch it after bricked.

Backing up the nand might seem useful but really it isn't. The 'scene' pretty much analyzes the latest updates before you even know they're out most of the time. Also the creators of bootmii urge you NOT to restore the NAND using the IOS version.

I was wanting to finally update to 4.0 and if something goes wrong bootmii won't be able to save me. Now I think I might just stay on 3.2. Am I pretty much right on my observations of bootmii or am I missing something?

No it's not useless, but it's only just come out and nothing is using it apart from ceiling cat. Maybe it's useless to people who can't read and expected it to be something it's not. BootMii was not designed to give brick protection, it was designed to bypass IOS and give total control of the wii to devs. It achieves that in either type of install. Brick protection is a happy side effect of being able to install as boot2

revolution

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm sorry then. Although having complete brick prevention is a precursor to full system control is it not. It's just I am trying to use it for one purpose and not exactly the other.

@Alexrose
I read the preloader sticky at the top and it seems that's what I'm looking for, coupled with bootmii. Thanks.

I'll probably continue to read up on that. I'm assuming it's immune to banner bricks, bad wads, wrong region updates, and failed updates?(or bootmii is, although not safe). So all my bases should be covered.

And I do see the extreme importance of bootmii to developers but at the moment I am not one.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alexrose said:
Bootmii as IOS isn't USELESS, provided you have preloader. You can boot to the homebrew channel, boot to bootmii and do a NAND restore.

Has this been tested to work (restore with Bootmii as IOS)? I know backup is possible of course, but would there be anything restricting the restore? Have you tried it? Just curious...

Innovative1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am curious too if anyone has actually tried a restore from IOS. Also, the reset and power buttons do not work to control the menu when installed as an IOS.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just pondering on the restore solution:

Yes, a side effect, but a *good* one. Unfortunately I am also one that has a newer Wii and cannot install to boot2. I did install the IOS version, but now of course have to get ahold of a Gamecube controller for the time being to be able to actually navigate the menu. No big deal there.

But, maybe this is not all that useless at the moment (in terms of NAND restore) as if it does work correctly via the IOS version, I would be able to back up my 3.2U system. Then maybe (I doubt I will do this, but hypothetically) update to v4.0 to check it out, and if I didn't like it I can speed up my downgrade process using the NAND restore to go right back to my previous 3.2U firmware...that is providing I can access the HBC (and then bootmii IOS) from the 4.0 I install. Am I correct in that this would work?

In other words, as long as I can ACCESS bootmii IOS, I can restore my NAND?

Sibe

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I used the ULTIMATE 4.0 upgrading guide and it worked fine, had a long history of hacking done on it, following from many guides, then doing softmii and it worked fine... and I have no boot2 (brought it oct last year), and upgrading to 4.0 went fine (I even had problems with space, I had to delete some channels, no problem I deleted them and ran them again), after it I had to install preload 0.29 of course (I had 0.28 before)... And preloader works fine with my ios bootmii and my NAND that is on another SD card.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
zektor said:
Yeah, that should work. BootMii IOS was still installed when I updated my Wii and it's also installable in 4.0, so it's pretty useful right now. I haven't really tested it though, because I have BootMii in boot2.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiGator's new cboot2 is a promising app that can work on BootMii IOS. The thing let's you run a cIOS without having actually installed it. That will be insanely useful when Nintendo gets around to blocking the bug that Comex's DVDX installer uses to downgrade IOS35.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
zektor said:
Yeah, that should work. BootMii IOS was still installed when I updated my Wii and it's also installable in 4.0, so it's pretty useful right now. I haven't really tested it though, because I have BootMii in boot2.

Cool. Well, not as useful as the boot2 backup/restore, but heck, it is still pretty darn useful if it works in that respect. As long as one is careful in what they do, they should never hit a full brick. I personally have updates disabled via preloader, as well as no internet connection on the system. I only have verified WAD files that I install, and only run backups from my region. So, bricking is very unlikely for me (I think?)

But, it is pretty solid to be able to backtrack to a previous NAND should I venture into a new update that has been verified not to hinder HBC functonality.

Thanks for the reply!

And of course, I can't forget ARM access (not meaning to make it seem an afterthought of course!)
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure you have a Gamecube controller handy. It is currently the only way to navigate the menus in the IOS version,

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BootMii-IOS has its uses... with Preloader and WiiPower's autoboot disc you can still get into BootMii even if you brick (unless you killed the System Menu or IOS60) and BootMii-IOS along with cboot2 lets you install cIOS into any console.

D

Deleted User

so there no way around it if you dont have a gc controller for ios install ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH