Ipods hisses before self-destructing

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Canonbeat234, Aug 15, 2009.

Aug 15, 2009
  1. Canonbeat234
    OP

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    The lithium-ion batteries used in laptops and cell phones possess well-known destructive capabilities. Sony, at one point, was forced to recall 7 million batteries because of incidents involving smoking and exploding gadgets, and Japan even demanded that Apple investigate exploding iPod Nanos.

Earlier this month, an English man hurled his daughter's iPod touch into his backyard when it started smoking and hissing. According to Ken Stanborough, it eventually exploded and launched 10 feet into the air, prompting Apple to allegedly bully him into keeping quiet. Meanwhile, The Awl reports that a French 18-year-old was struck in the eye this week when his girlfriend's iPhone screen shattered (after the gadget started hissing) and rocketed a piece of shrapnel into his face. Thankfully, according to After Dawn, the boy's mother said he "did not lose an eye."

Seattle television station KIRO recently reported that Apple has tried to suppress 800 pages of documents related to over a dozen exploding iPod devices. Since the number is relatively insignificant compared to the number of iPods sold, the reports would not be so troubling if not for Apple's infamous secrecy over the issue. To give Apple credit, though, the gadgets are at least emitting a warning hiss before self-destructing. And maybe that iPod in France just couldn't take any more horrible French Top 40. [From: AFP Via: The Awl, After Dawn and KIRO]

http://www.switched.com/2009/08/15/good-ne...fore-exploding/

2. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    LOL

Well, exactly my thoughts about nr. of units sold/exploded. But it's normal that Apple decides to keep it secret. Even if it were something user-related, it's bad advertising.

3. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Lol. Thats not werid. i'd hate to be the guy around explosives, or at least fireworks and they all go off because of the touch.

4. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I didn't know ipods were that powerful... 10 feet in the air?!
    I say the army use these instead of grenades. They seem to be more powerful XD

Btw if they use this idea I want some £££ O_O"

5. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    whilst the number sold is alot greater than the number exploded. Something thats self destructing like this is isn't something to be kept secret somone could be seriously hurtand Apple needs to do something about it before someone does get seriously hurt.

6. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    wow, I knew iPods would some day hurt their users (yea I know iPods have been doing this for awhile [​IMG]) its an Apple uprising, the iPods are developing AI that shorts the batteries into mayhem, and destruction! This is going to be like that movie iRobot! [​IMG]

7. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    This is an ipod, usually thought of as an overrated MP3/video player, but their L-ion battery also makes them good makeshift hand grenades, just throw them when they are about to hiss and watch the action unfold. The Taliban won't know what hit them literally.

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Don't leave your iPod outside.

9. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yes, that would be the obvious solution. People are such idiots.

And if your iPod is hissing, it would be a good idea to step back.

10. Sandman00009

Member Sandman00009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is old news i read about this a couple of weeks ago

11. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Obviously the iPods are safe when operated under normal, recommended circumstances. I'm going to speculate that they left the device sitting out in direct sunlight. If that's true, the part about Apple bullying them is probably greatly exaggerated because everybody with a working frontal lobe understands that bad shit happens if a combustable component like a battery overheats to extreme temperature.

The other possible explanation is they were playing Chris Cornell's Scream on it. In which case serves them right.

12. Vidboy10

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Did the iPod say "Made in North Korea"?

13. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    That's an oxymoron..

I could care less about the exploding ipods, but cover-ups are not cool. Shame on you Apple.

14. iamjust

Banned iamjust Banned

United States
    boo, hiss, *BOOM* xD
    but seriously apple, why stop with ipods? Start manufacturing iNades or iBlowUp or something!

15. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    It's probably a bad batch of iPod batteries where the polarity is fucked, also people should realise that you don't leave shit like that out in the sun or overheat it. It's obvious that they use batteries and can be strained under heat, and a bad batch of batteries probably doesn't help. Around the same conditions people could have exploding laptops. These people in the news need to stop microwaving their iPods.

16. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    The military would have good use for iNades and iNukes seeing the US is in two wars and probably overdue for a weapons upgrade.

17. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I remember reading a article of someone leaving their iphone in the car seat, and it caught on fire and burned a hole in the seat.

Li-on Batteries are dangerous

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    getting bad at production i guess... not something u wouldnt expect since the costs are reduced on making the item

19. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Am I lucky I don't have an iPod [​IMG]

20. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Turn your iPhone into a bomb, theres an app for that.