Hacking iPod as USB Harddrive?

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not have a USB Harddrive, but I have a 80GB iPod, which of course can have loaded files on it. Will I be able to load games with the new USB loader via iPod, since all it is, is a hard drive with software on it.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It might be possible, but I don't know what you would need to do to get it working, considering that Waninkoko will be using his own filesystem.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will work.
You can use a PSP as a flash drive to load videos in GeeXboX.
I can also use my Micro-SD card + USB adapter to use it a USB flashdrive.

Untouchable757

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks like my old 80gb ipod or old fat broke psp (8gb ms) might have some use after all, But then again it makes me depressed that i cant buy a new psp. (fucking bills)

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there might be some problems seeing as a psp memory stick is formatted to fat32 and an ipod is not thats why you need itunes to transfer music to your ipod and you can't drag music over to it through the explorer so i would think you would have to resize the partition the ipod uses but to do that you would need to know what type of format ipods use. this is all based on my experience with transfering music to both ipods and psps.

Dookieman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can drag all the music you want to it if you enable disc use on an iPod. The music will be on the iPod, but the software on the iPod will not recognize it because it wasn't loaded by iTunes. I believe this an iTunes software issue instead of a formatting issue.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Possibly if you partition it, but I don't own an iPod and wouldn't want to risk it anyway.
Don't. Go out and buy a cheap external or an internal + enclosure.

Edit: In response to Waninkoko not using NTFS, there are some disadvantages over a custom filesystem (not to mention having to write new drivers without 100% compatibility. They still haven't been able to create a 100% working NTFS driver w/o bugs for Linux)

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
Dookieman said:
I do not have a USB Harddrive, but I have a 80GB iPod, which of course can have loaded files on it. Will I be able to load games with the new USB loader via iPod, since all it is, is a hard drive with software on it.
OneUp said:
It might be possible, but I don't know what you would need to do to get it working, considering that Waninkoko will be using his own filesystem.
If you partition it with MBR, your wii will detect it. However, as OneUp points out, since the USB loader will mess with the filesystem on it, you won't have an iPod, but an 80Gb external HDD afterwards. (This is perfectly reversable of course; just reformat it and you're good.)

Pippin666 said:
OneUp said:
That's sad, I wonder why Waninkoko doesn't use ntfs like marcan.
QUOTE(wchill @ Mar 30 2009, 04:21 AM)
Possibly if you partition it, but I don't own an iPod and wouldn't want to risk it anyway.
Don't. Go out and buy a cheap external or an internal + enclosure.

Edit: In response to Waninkoko not using NTFS, there are some disadvantages over a custom filesystem (not to mention having to write new drivers without 100% compatibility. They still haven't been able to create a 100% working NTFS driver w/o bugs for Linux)
Because NTFS sucks donkey's balls. You ever happened to eject an NTFS drive without properly unmounting? You're lucky if you'll ever get that filesystem consistent again. Some systems won't basically allow it to mount even. You wondered why all flash-drives use fat32 despite all oses since win98 SE being able to mount NTFS ... ? (Yea, I know Mac OS X and Linux couldn't properly mount NTFS until for just a few years ago, but most people still us M$.)

Anyways, NTFS isn't designed to be a good portable filesystem, it's good for static drives, but a reall pain when dealing with mounts/unmounts. (One way could be mounting the filesystem read only of course, but hey ...)

Anyways, with all windozers shouting NTFS, and the linux dittos shouting for ext2 (with the reason for it being well documented). For fucks sake, where are you *BSD peeps?
yay.gif
FFS is the way to GO!!!
yay.gif

This has been around since 1984, and still works like a charm, whereas ext2 is still a little puppy (since '93) ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father