iPod as USB Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dookieman, Mar 30, 2009.

Mar 30, 2009

iPod as USB Harddrive? by Dookieman at 3:31 AM (1,166 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Dookieman
    OP

Member Dookieman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I do not have a USB Harddrive, but I have a 80GB iPod, which of course can have loaded files on it. Will I be able to load games with the new USB loader via iPod, since all it is, is a hard drive with software on it.

2. OneUp

Member OneUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It might be possible, but I don't know what you would need to do to get it working, considering that Waninkoko will be using his own filesystem.

3. Dookieman
    OP

United States
    Wouldn't that require all USB harddrives to be reformatted then?

4. assassda

Member assassda GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it most likely wont work unless you format it and then it probably wont work as an ipod, one or the other

5. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This will work.
    You can use a PSP as a flash drive to load videos in GeeXboX.
    I can also use my Micro-SD card + USB adapter to use it a USB flashdrive.

6. helloforum

Member helloforum GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know there was a list of compatible usb drives, but I can't seem to find it now.

7. Untouchable757

Newcomer Untouchable757 Advanced Member

United States
    looks like my old 80gb ipod or old fat broke psp (8gb ms) might have some use after all, But then again it makes me depressed that i cant buy a new psp. (fucking bills)

8. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    there might be some problems seeing as a psp memory stick is formatted to fat32 and an ipod is not thats why you need itunes to transfer music to your ipod and you can't drag music over to it through the explorer so i would think you would have to resize the partition the ipod uses but to do that you would need to know what type of format ipods use. this is all based on my experience with transfering music to both ipods and psps.

9. Dookieman
    OP

United States
    You can drag all the music you want to it if you enable disc use on an iPod. The music will be on the iPod, but the software on the iPod will not recognize it because it wasn't loaded by iTunes. I believe this an iTunes software issue instead of a formatting issue.

10. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    That's sad, I wonder why Waninkoko doesn't use ntfs like marcan.

11. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Possibly if you partition it, but I don't own an iPod and wouldn't want to risk it anyway.
    Don't. Go out and buy a cheap external or an internal + enclosure.

Edit: In response to Waninkoko not using NTFS, there are some disadvantages over a custom filesystem (not to mention having to write new drivers without 100% compatibility. They still haven't been able to create a 100% working NTFS driver w/o bugs for Linux)

12. joda

Member joda GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    Because NTFS sucks donkey's balls. You ever happened to eject an NTFS drive without properly unmounting? You're lucky if you'll ever get that filesystem consistent again. Some systems won't basically allow it to mount even. You wondered why all flash-drives use fat32 despite all oses since win98 SE being able to mount NTFS ... ? (Yea, I know Mac OS X and Linux couldn't properly mount NTFS until for just a few years ago, but most people still us M$.)

Anyways, NTFS isn't designed to be a good portable filesystem, it's good for static drives, but a reall pain when dealing with mounts/unmounts. (One way could be mounting the filesystem read only of course, but hey ...)

Anyways, with all windozers shouting NTFS, and the linux dittos shouting for ext2 (with the reason for it being well documented). For fucks sake, where are you *BSD peeps?
    [​IMG] FFS is the way to GO!!! [​IMG]
    This has been around since 1984, and still works like a charm, whereas ext2 is still a little puppy (since '93) ...