Iphone Slowing up

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by JinTrigger, Jan 10, 2011.

Jan 10, 2011

Iphone Slowing up by JinTrigger at 12:15 PM (833 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. JinTrigger
    OP

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    Ok I have an Iphone 3G that has been jailbroken with redsnow and I have the 6.15 modem firmware and my phone is unlocked using ultrasnow. Now that I've given you the diagnosis on my phone I will explain the problem. It gets really slow somethings and when I open certain apps (most times in combination...as in i already have an app opened) it'll just crash and go into safe mode. My Textnow app is the slowest of my apps by the way.

Is there a reason for this and is there a way I can fix this?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    If you have SSH Settings installed (I think that's what it's called), you can bring down the pull down menu (I think default is swiping the top bar with the time, battery, etc on it) and you can free up memory on it. If you don't have SSH Settings then you can get it from Cydia, I'm pretty sure. Make sure you're closing stuff multitasking too. My iPod Touch slows down if too many applications are running. I also just restart my iPod like once a week to get the memory to the max.

3. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    It's sb settings [​IMG]

Anyway another thing you can do is remove some launch daemons

4. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    This is a widely held misconception, but it is incorrect. Your iOS device will NOT slow down with more memory being used, quite the opposite. Closing stuff that is multitasking will (maybe) free up some memory, but that won't make your device faster. iOS works on the (correct) assumption that free memory is wasted memory. If a piece of memory is free, it is of no use. It would be much better used storing a recently run app, which is likely to be run again soon. That way it will load faster. When iOS needs the memory for another app, it will unload the first app itself and load the new app in that memory. This is far more efficient and it is unnecessary to end tasks yourself.

The only time this would be of use is if the application was using CPU clock cycles while idle, but AFAIK, on iOS this is only possible for 10 minutes after the app is closed at the maximum. After that, apps cannot use processing power while not active, and so cannot slow down your device. Any effect from closing apps that are multitasking is most likely purely a placebo.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, I mean solely the Apple multitasking here, not Backgrounder. Having apps backgrounded with Backgrounder WILL slow down your device.

5. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Did you enable the Apple task switcher and wallpapers?

Since those /really/ slowed down my device.

6. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Having a lot of Mobile Substrate tweaks will slow down your iPhone too. Stuff like Winterboard, SBsettings, Iconoclasm, SBrotator, etc (tweaks). It's ok to have a few, but having a lot of them will really slow your device down, especially since your device is less powerful.