GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You read that right.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chpwn/status/249249908094296064

Considering how fast this jailbreak is compared to the A5 jailbreak, I must say its very impressive. Still not ready for public release though.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel the need to let everyone know something since it's apparent people on this forum don't know: there are tons upon tons of iPhone holes that allows jailbreaking. We've seen very few released and duplicated for the various jailbreaking tools. There will always be a "way" to jailbreak the device, but it may not be the best way, the easiest way, or the safest way. if you remember about wo years ago, geohotz was hated by the bulk of most iPhone hackers because he released and publicized an incredibly insecure and unsafe jailbreak tool even after he was told not to solely because he wanted some fame.

Anyway, this is just chpwn showing off that it is indeed still possible. When the phone has an actual jailbreak released (maybe 2 months) it may or may not be the one used here.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Surprise! (not really)

They do this at EVERY iOS device launch, They use the same exploit over and over again just to gain progress on making Cydia and stuff work.
Also so they can find other exploits.

These people always have exploits behind the scenes that they don't release. I wouldn't get your hopes up for something anytime soon

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Surprise! (not really)

They do this at EVERY iOS device launch, They use the same exploit over and over again just to gain progress on making Cydia and stuff work.

These people always have exploits behind the scenes that they don't release. I wouldn't get your hopes up for something anytime soon
The thing is iPhone 5 uses a brand new A6 chip. The A5 devices took very long to be jailbroken.

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I doubt they use the same exploits every time, they do have a lot of exploits that they don't make public. While chpwn may have jailbroken his iPhone, it's probably still extremely buggy, and were likely months away from a user-end tool. Also, keep in mind that chpwn is a developer, so he has the ability to test things on his devices that most people can't, so while he may have jailbroken his iPhone, he may have done so through methods regular users don't have access to. If I recall correctly, pod2g, MuscleNerd, and the gang who concocted the Rocky Racoon [sic] jailbreak for 5.1.1 did that and were struggling to find a way to break out of the sandbox for a while, so it delayed the public release of the jailbreak by a few weeks.

So while this news is cool, it really doesn't mean much. We know that exploits are there, but we're not sure if all the exploits that are required are there, and we have no idea how far away we are from a public release. Historically, it's taken 3-5 months to fully jailbreak new firmware revisions without bootrom-level exploits in a way everyone can reproduce.

The thing is iPhone 5 uses a brand new A6 chip. The A5 devices took very long to be jailbroken.

Well, not really. The iPad 2 was jailbroken not long after its release (by multiple devs, no less), but it did take a full 3 months for a user-end tool to be released that allowed everyone to jailbreak theirs.

EDIT: To be more precise, the iPad 2 was jailbroken by both comex and ion1c within 2 weeks after its public release.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Surprise! (not really)

Although it should be noted that the mostly widely used "underground" exploit (by which I mean, the exploit that most hackers have been using to jailbreak new devices/firmwares privately) was finally fixed in iOS6, after having been widely used for several years behind the scenes (originally discovered by comex I believe).

Of course, they have more, and it's possible that one wasn't even fixed properly (perhaps just the previous implementation of the exploit was accidentally broken and it just needed a little tweak to work with the new OS).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol