Interesting Wii problem / hack.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rancor01, Sep 5, 2010.

1. rancor01
    OP

rancor01 Member

Newcomer
    May 2, 2010
    Nishiarai, Tokyo
    So over on one of the other forums I frequent, one of the guys bought a virtual console game. As we all know, those are the same programs from the old days usually, just emulated on the Wii. Anyhow, this guy managed to crash his virtual console game and it dropped him to an emulator/basic shell. Really weird. Link is here:
    Wii Virtual Console Crash

Could this make for some new, interesting exploitations? or is it nothing.. ?

2. FragAguy

FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 25, 2009
    Netherlands
    Behind you.
    I heard about this earlier indeed. It was a commodore 64 game, and they made it crash with a modified savegame. They couldn't execute commands in the prompt so I don't think this will start something special.

EDIT: Oh wow, this is another article. I thought it was the savegame crash, but this guy's saying it crashed accidently and it could even function with commands.

3. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Kinda interesting if it is repeatable (easily). If he can't do it again, it's not too useful.

Also, FragAguy: Do you have a link about that other, save-based crash? I'd like to read about it.

4. FragAguy

FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 25, 2009
    Netherlands
    Behind you.
    sorry I couldn't find it. It had something to do with international karate and a ?snapshot? I'll search for it.

EDIT: I found it! it was in the post of wiicrazy's savefile packer/unpacker. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123406

5. guinness

guinness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2008
    UK
    I can't see it being useful for anything other than writing C64 Basic programs, and then not being able to save them.
    Is this guy serious when he refers to 'Wii basic'?

6. hack3r

hack3r Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2009
    United States
    It's kinda neat but I don't see any real practical uses for it, even if it is easily repeatable.