Interesting Wii problem / hack.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rancor01, Sep 5, 2010.

Sep 5, 2010
  1. rancor01
    OP

Newcomer rancor01 Member

Japan
    So over on one of the other forums I frequent, one of the guys bought a virtual console game. As we all know, those are the same programs from the old days usually, just emulated on the Wii. Anyhow, this guy managed to crash his virtual console game and it dropped him to an emulator/basic shell. Really weird. Link is here:
    Wii Virtual Console Crash

Could this make for some new, interesting exploitations? or is it nothing.. ?

2. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I heard about this earlier indeed. It was a commodore 64 game, and they made it crash with a modified savegame. They couldn't execute commands in the prompt so I don't think this will start something special.

EDIT: Oh wow, this is another article. I thought it was the savegame crash, but this guy's saying it crashed accidently and it could even function with commands.

3. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Kinda interesting if it is repeatable (easily). If he can't do it again, it's not too useful.

Also, FragAguy: Do you have a link about that other, save-based crash? I'd like to read about it.

4. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    sorry I couldn't find it. It had something to do with international karate and a ?snapshot? I'll search for it.

EDIT: I found it! it was in the post of wiicrazy's savefile packer/unpacker. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123406

5. guinness

Member guinness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I can't see it being useful for anything other than writing C64 Basic programs, and then not being able to save them.
    Is this guy serious when he refers to 'Wii basic'?

6. hack3r

Newcomer hack3r Advanced Member

United States
    It's kinda neat but I don't see any real practical uses for it, even if it is easily repeatable.