Interested in upgrading the gamepad screen.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by sunnaryt, Nov 1, 2016.

1. sunnaryt
    OP

sunnaryt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    United States
    Is there a possible way to do something like upgrade the display panel to something nicer but within the same spec resolution and size wise obviously, or would things not play nice? Also wondering if there are capacitive digitizer replacements.

2. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Applications will probably get messed up.

3. testerfan

testerfan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    United States
    there are 2 types of LCD screens on a gamepad, LCD and backlight panels are of a different design (otherwise it's the same resolution and everything, but the newer version looks nicer). The standard type has been used since launch, and the latest version of the screen has been used on the newest Wii U produced. The touch screen is a standard plastic type on all gamepads (original Nintendo), but if you a get a replacement it will be a glass touch screen (with a plastic capacitive layer on top), it feels different to the touch and looks duller when the gamepad is off

4. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Do you have pictures of the two types of LCD screen? How can you tell them apart?

5. testerfan

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    United States
    yes, I have both types of LCDs in stock, i'll post a picture tomorrow

6. Razor83

Razor83 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 23, 2009
    Great thanks :) Please also post pictures of the back if possible, since I am interested to see the model numbers.

7. sunnaryt
    OP

sunnaryt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    United States
    So you're saying the newer models have a capacitive as opposed to a resistive touchscreen? That seems strange as the stylus would stop working unless they changed that too, so it seems like it would stay in the realm of modding.

8. testerfan

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    United States
    the newer version of the LCD is on the right, metal enclosure is shiny (like it's made from a different metal), the flex cable - different color and structure, and backlight assembly is also changed

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you're not getting it right, LCD and touch screen are 2 different parts: the newer version of LCD on a gamepad will come with the same plastic touch screen Nintendo used since day 1 (same technology as on all Nintendo 3DS/3DS XL systems). But if you get a refurbished gamepad from Nintendo, or order a replacement touch screen - it will be different, same technology, but instead it will be glass based as opposed to original plastic. As I said before it feels different to the touch, looks duller when the gamepad is off, and the glass will break and shutter if you hit it with a stylus too hard (on original plastic you'll just get a dent, and it probably won't respond correctly after that)

Attached Files:

Last edited by testerfan, Nov 2, 2016
    Razor83 likes this.
  9. sunnaryt
    OP

sunnaryt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    United States
    Oh I knew that, the digitizer registers touch, you confused me with this:

that's what threw me off, as the wii u pad is resistive, not capacitive afaik