Installing Windows 8 or Ubuntu on a Mac

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Tomato Hentai, May 22, 2015.

1. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    My homeroom teacher was given a Mac, but we've been having a bunch of issues with it, and nobody really knows how to use Mac OSX at all, so my teacher wants to install Ubuntu or Windows 8 on the Mac, and get rid of OSX, but I'm wondering if it'll be as easy as shoving the Windows 8 disc/Ubuntu USB stick in and booting the computer, or if there's more we have to do to get it to install.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Use the Boot Camp Installer in the Utilities section.

EDIT: Tomato Hentai I would recommend seriously using the Bootcamp Installer and keeping a small partition for OS X - it takes care of all that for you, you just need to specify how big you want your partitions to be via slider - and keep the OS X as a backup in case something goes fatally wrong and you have no access to be able to boot the computer.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You might not want to get rid of OS X completely. Just shrink the partition down as small as possible or something. Chances are it's much harder to get back if you'd ever want it.

4. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    NEVERMIND

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    According to the internet, you should be able to do that with Disk Utility (also found in Utilities).

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Thank you both!

Margen67 likes this.