Installing Windows 8 on cheap tablet?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Harsky, Nov 29, 2012.

Nov 29, 2012
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I bought Windows 8 during a promotion on impulse but I've still not got an excuse to use it on my laptop or PC anytime soon. What I was interested in is trying to see if I can install it on a cheap tablet. Is this possible and if so, which brand of tablet should I get to install Windows 8?

2. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Well, your license is problaby for Windows 8 x86/x86_64 (PC architecture). Most tablets use an architecture based on ARM processors so you can't use your Windows 8 license on a tablet. But, wait... There are some tablets based on x86/x86_64 so maybe you could use your license on them, but I am not sure about that. And x86 tablets are pretty much expensive so...

Vinnymac likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Windows 8 for PC and Windows 8 for Tablets are two entirely different things - if your tablet is x86 or x86_64 (making it practically a UMPC...) then yes, you may. Otherwise, no, you can't. I'm willing to wager that the second option applies here.

Vinnymac, tatripp and RodrigoDavy like this.
  4. RodrigoDavy

Member RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Couldn't have explained it better! ;)

5. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I have seen those tablets that have Windows 7 running on them. Am I right in thinking that is a modified version of W7 is is there a way to overwrite that with PC W8?

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    If they're running Win7 you should be able to get it to boot a Win8 ISO from a USB stick. Probably need the x86 (32 bit) version for it. Drivers for the touchscreen might be a bit iffy as well.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If they're running WIndows 7, then they're an x86 tablet in the first place, not an ARM tablet.

8. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    also, since no one has mentioned this, if you do get the tablet version of windows 8, that does not mean that you can run programs that run on your computer. I don't mean from a performance perspective, I mean that the cpu in the ARM based tablet will not be able to read the executables

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah the tablet version of Windows 8 is called Windows R/T, they gave it another name because it needs programs modified and recompiled for it (like porting to android).

10. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I was under the impression that you're not able to purchase the Windows RT version of Windows 8? They're supposed to come pre-loaded on ARM tablets to prevent side-loading of other OSs, meaning that what you have should be an x86/x64 license. Such a license should be perfectly usable on tablets currently using Windows 7 in most cases.